Electronic Flight Bag (EFB)

DaveCT2003

This is a spinoff topic from the Airbus Preview Thread for the discussion of Electronic Flight Bags in Flight Simulation.

59 minutes ago, bill3810 said:

Not sure what you are able to spend but a Navigraph Charts Subscription along with an Ipad makes an outstanding EFB.  It also will show your exact location on approach plates and Enroute Charts.  Same Ipad could be used with Sky Vector or other charting options for free.

I run Aerosoft NavDataPro Charts, Navigraph Charts, and the Avilasoft EFB.  They each have their benefits, but for me the Avilasoft EFB comes out as the winner each time - it's just incredibly difficult to beat!  Version 2 of the EFB is due out later this year.

That said, having an airport chart displayed on the Navigation Display is a huge plus in any aircraft, especially for those who fly in a realism based environment such as VATSIM, IVAO or the upcoming POSCON, especially for those who don't run multi-monitor.

You're thoughts?

absolutly yes.

64bit system now give the possibility to do it.

I think thate a EFB need for these reasons:

- charts

- apt diagram on ND

- load manager

- performance calculator (flex to,etc)

- online docs (wx,fpl,loadsheet,web browsing,etc) especially for online flights / compability with IVAO/VATSIM networks also for connection,traffic,com,etc

First time ive purchased an EFB program so i just went with navigraph.   Price sermed ok and as i like to do aroumd the world flights i figured id better get an up to date efb.   

Ill look into the other ones listed next time my subscription is up.  Thanks for the info

Sorry but if the EFB doesn't propose any Performance calculator (a bit like TOPCAT) and if it doesn't provide any QRH or any kind of manuals for the appropriate aircraft, it's just not a real EFB to me. Also, I rather have it in my aircraft virtualy than imagine my tablet magically being in the aircraft.

16 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

This is a spinoff topic from the Airbus Preview Thread for the discussion of Electronic Flight Bags in Flight Simulation.

I run Aerosoft NavDataPro Charts, Navigraph Charts, and the Avilasoft EFB.  They each have their benefits, but for me the Avilasoft EFB comes out as the winner each time - it's just incredibly difficult to beat!  Version 2 of the EFB is due out later this year.

That said, having an airport chart displayed on the Navigation Display is a huge plus in any aircraft, especially for those who fly in a realism based environment such as VATSIM, IVAO or the upcoming POSCON, especially for those who don't run multi-monitor.

You're thoughts?

I completely agree, Dave. (Sorry I've been absent - but I'm busy with work etc... - and, well... having a 3-year old, takes up some time and energy as well) :)

The AivlaSoft is an incredible app. Wouldn't fly without it. 

But an integrated EFB with charts is difficult to use efficiently, in my opinion. Especially since the view controls is quite restricted in P3D, which is why I said that I personally found it as more of a gimmick than actually useful... In the video, I can see, that PMDG has made it available as a pop-up window, which greatly increases it's usefulness... But then it clutters up the view.... 

The Airport Overlay on the Navigation Display, has nothing to do with Navigraph or subscriptions. The EFB/Airplane, just reads the installed airports inside your sim. Just like AivlaSoft does, when updating the airport database.

I've used the trial of EFB and I have to say, I really liked it. However, it's quite pricey. I'd love to buy it, but there's always something more important that needs to be bought :lol:. I've never seen it go on sale either, which is a pity, because if it did, that would sway me into buying it. Although maybe I'm better off waiting for version 2 at this stage. 

• Aerosoft

But to be clear, though we always support Navigraph in all our products, we will need the Lufthansa data in a geo referenced format to even consider anything like this. These discussions are going on at this moment.

As we always said one of the reasons we started with NavDataPro is to make sure the community does not depend on one source. Imagine Navigraph shutting down (I have no sign of that, they seem to be doing spiffingly) and no additional source would be available. That would mean high end aircraft add-ons would hardly be possible. This risk was to great for Aerosoft. It would dampen the whole add-on business as high end aircraft sell high end airports and things like PFPX etc ect.

The moment we have the data we need we will look at all EFB and EFB related topics,. What we will not do is try to generate charts on the fly from nav data and AFCAD files. They might looks somewhat okay, but simply do not match our standards for internal project that have professional spin-offs. 

Archived