F-14B Zoom Goes out of Control

ATTrailboss

I have never had this problem with any of my sim add-ons.  While flying the F-14 (both from US bases and a CCP mission) about 10 minutes into flights at various altitudes and airspeeds the zoom of the VC view begins to pulse in and out.  Then the standard straight ahead F9 camera view of the instrument panel turns to the right and then almost straight up until the only thing visible are the ejection handles at the top of the ejection seat. The hat switch on my HOTA control forces it back down but the view always goes back up vertical.  Pause (P) does not work, zoom control does not work. The F11 outside view shows the aircraft going through uncontrolled altitude and pitch changes. The only way I can gain control is to use F10 view, get myself oriented to the horizon and use the Shift + Z data for airspeed and altitude to regain direction, level flight and airspeed.  After I fly like this fighting for control about 10 minutes the view and control return to normal.  Disengaging and reengaging the autopilot make no difference with the view in and out zooms and up to vertical. I was flying Aerosoft F-14 version 2.02, but could not get the aircraft carrier catapult to release using Shift + space bar.  I read all the postings about this launch problem but none of the solutions worked.  I uninstalled it and then installed version 2.01, which works fine on the carrier launches.  The throbbing zoom  and vertical view occurred in both versions.  If anyone else has experienced this please post, especially if you found the cause.  I am running FSX Gold Edition which includes Acceleration, Windows 7 and have 10 years experience with FSX and many add-ons. 

ATTrailboss

I have made some progress toward solving my own problem. I set up an F-14 flight out of Pensacola NAS, but this time in Full Screen Mode.  I flew and maneuvered for 40 minutes with no loss of zoom control. Next I opened and set up the CCP mission I have used for each test. I opened it in my usual default framed view mode, and once the F-14 opened on CV68 I then went to full screen mode.  The good news was that my flight went off the carrier and flew for 30 minutes with no loss of zoom control.  The bad news was that the two other F-14s with which I was to fly formation took off from the deck and flew in loops just ahead of the ship, crashing into the deck and the sea. I exited FSX, started it again, set up the same mission again, switched to full screen and waited until the other 2 were airborne.  Then I launched but my wingmen had disappeared. Also, I have yet to find the 2 bandit fighters during any of my flights in this mission.

I found the problem: pilot error.  I had not turned on the oxygen switch so the zooming was to simulate oxygen deprivation. I realized the occurrences of zooming were always above 18K feet.  With the oxygen regulator switch off, zooming occurred; switch on, stopped immediately.  It had nothing to do with full screen or not full screen.  I couldn't find any narrative in the manuals about this.

Archived