Hydraulic System

hectorp

Just in case the previous pictures cannot be viewed, I am sending them again in PNG format.  (Sorry for the mistake)

Please login to display this image.

Description:

1. Hyd0: Both ENG driven pumps on BY-PASS, Auxiliary Pump Active. Only Elev Trim. Flap handle moves but no gauge indication and not flaps movement

2. Hyd2: Both ENG driven pumps ON, Auxiliary Pump Active. Only Elev Trim. Flaps inoperative. Both Low Pressure lights ON

3. Hyd3: Both ENG driven pumps ON, Auxiliary Pump STOP. No Trim. Flaps only to 1rst Notch.

4. Hyd4: Both ENG driven pumps BY PASS, Auxiliary Pump STOP. No Trim. Flaps extend fully but retract only to 1rst notch.

5. Hyd6: Both ENG driven pumps BY PASS, Auxiliary Pump Active. (Note is same as No. 1) Elev Trim OK. Flaps retracts fully.

• Developer

I can't duplicate what you describe.  Do the hydraulics behave this way every time for you? Or was it a one time occurrence?  Did you install XMLTools?

If the problem has occurred more than once, can you load the DC8 tutorial flight and see if you still have this behaviour? 

I've had the same problem.  It varies dependent on which aircraft I load first.

A quick work around appears to be assigning a key to the "Hydraulic failure" in P3D and pressing that.  Seems to restore Hydraulic pressure for me.

• Developer
11 hours ago, slod said:

A quick work around appears to be assigning a key to the "Hydraulic failure" in P3D and pressing that.  Seems to restore Hydraulic pressure for me.

The code does make use of the hydraulic failure variable, so this makes sense.  I think I have an idea what's going wrong now, but any fix probably won't make it into the coming update but the one after. 

This is how the code in PreparD is. 

But after many trials I still don't have a clue of what is going on. Sometimes it works, but most of the time is not. 

I uninstalled the software about three times and even did it with PreparDv4 but the problem still is there.

One thing is for sure and I don't know why and how is happening: No matter that I save my scenarios always Cold and Dark, every time I load it the engines are running but no hydraulic pressure.

With the tutorial is the same but here after I run Cold and Dark again and start Eng 3, there is hydraulic pressure from RT pump showing 3000 psi.

The problem  seems to be random. 

There is another issue but I don't know whether is relevant for the problem: The plane is installed in PreparD in two directories: Prepard3v4/Aerosoft/DC-8-50/SimObjects/Airplanes/DC-8-50 and also Prepard3v4/SimObjects/Airplanes/DC8-50 (see pictures)

So, at this time I am about to crawl the walls. In flight the plane is a beautiful machine and I like it a lot. Also cannot use the INS which I have used way before when CIVA started many years ago. But will keep trying.

Thanks for all your support. 

• Developer

It shouldn't be in two directories.  First of all, I would get rid of the install that has it in the P3D airplanes folder.  Maybe someone from Aerosoft can look at how it ended up in two directories, but for the time being I would just delete one. 

Saving a flight cold and dark, and then having it load with the engines running is hard to understand. When your cold and dark flight is saved, P3D creates a saved flight file that specifies the engines are off.  There is nothing in the DC8 code to start the engines on loading the aircraft. This may be related to your multiple installs.

By the way, the behaviour in your screenshot 3 is correct -- when there is no hydraulic power and the airplane is on the ground, the flaps will droop a little. 

5 hours ago, hectorp said:

With the tutorial is the same but here after I run Cold and Dark again and start Eng 3, there is hydraulic pressure from RT pump showing 3000 psi.

Doesn't this give you a workaround? Do the hydraulics work correctly at this point?

On 09/05/2018 at 12:51 AM, slod said:

Did you try this as a temporary workaround?

Please try again after getting the aircraft installed only once and outside the P3D folder.  I think you should be OK just to delete the one unwanted Aerosoft DC8 folder. I would like to rule this out as a possible cause before looking for some issue in the code.  And don't try with your old flights saved when the aircraft was installed twice, just start with new ones or the tutorial, assuming you didn't save over the tutorial flight.  Then please post again with your findings. 

I was able to replicate hectorp's issue.  When I save a cold and dark flight, it loads with engines running.  In this situation I am unable to get the hydraulic system to pressurize, even though the gauge shows it pressurizing.

Assigning a key to "hydraulic failure" seemed to restore hyd pressure for me as well. 

I have my DC-8 installed outside the P3D structure, in:  c:\users\rhett\documents\Prepare3D v4 Add-ons

• Developer
3 hours ago, Mace_RB said:

When I save a cold and dark flight, it loads with engines running

I can't replicate this. Can you post the saved flight file? There should be an xxx.fxml and an xxx.asc file and I guess a weather one as well, all with the same file name.  The files will be in your documents\P3D v4 Files folder.

It seems that for you two, saving a flight cold and dark is causing problems.  I would suggest not doing that and instead pressing the cold and dark button after loading. 

Hectorp, if you go cold and dark by pressing the button on the loader, do your hydraulics work correctly after starting engine 2 or 3? That is the gauge shows pressure and the flaps and trim work? 

On 5/13/2018 at 1:35 AM, Michael2 said:

I can't replicate this. Can you post the saved flight file? There should be an xxx.fxml and an xxx.asc file and I guess a weather one as well, all with the same file name.  The files will be in your documents\P3D v4 Files folder.

It seems that for you two, saving a flight cold and dark is causing problems.  I would suggest not doing that and instead pressing the cold and dark button after loading. 

Well, I don't usually save a flight like that myself.  I was just trying to replicate the OP's issue to help him out.  I usually load the aircraft and use the Shift-3 gauge popup to go cold and dark.

I should be able to replicate it again, and then post up the save files, but I won't be able to do it until tonight.

On 5/13/2018 at 1:35 AM, Michael2 said:

I have repeated this again.  See attached .fxml and .wx file.  Interestingly -- I see no .asc file with this save.  Why not, I wonder?     I see .asc files with my OTHER dc-8 saved flights, but not this one.

This would be a saved flight, cold and dark, at default KVPS, with default wx (fair weather).

I'm not sure what calls for the creation of an .asc file, or when it's called, but my other dc-8 saves all have the asc file, and this one does not.  This flight loads on my machine, and it loads with engines running, but no hydraulic pressure.

dc8 cold and dark.wx

dc8 cold and dark.fxml

• Developer

The .asc files contain all the saved values for custom variables, like the airspeed bug positions and non-default things like that.  The file is created whenever you save a flight. 

Whether or not the engines are running is dependent on default variables that are set out in the .fxml file.  I will look at what you posted as soon as I can. I'm afraid I can't just know as in a few hours I am going out of town and offline until Sunday.

Here are the files.

Meanwhile I will continue working on and as soon as I find something relevant I will let you know.

Definitely engines are running on start. I did yesterday this exercise:

1. Loaded Tutorial. 4 Engines running. Shut them by cutting the fuel off in the pedestal. RESET (Ctrl+;). Started Engine 3 and got 3000 psi on the RT Pump.

2. Changed planes on the Tutorial Scenario. It loads with all engines running. 

• 2 weeks later...

No Hydralic pressure and no brake power...

I have set option 

5. Hyd6: Both ENG driven pumps BY PASS, Auxiliary Pump Active. (Note is same as No. 1) Elev Trim OK. Flaps retracts fully.

How to fix that one?

Jens

After installing the update file last week, here are my findings: (I save my Scenarios always in a Cold & Dark Condition)

1. Load the Scenario
    1. All 4 fuel levers ON but only Engine 3 running
    2. Left Hyd Pump running 3000 psi
    3. PWR on Batt; EXT AIR ON pressure reaching the top 50 psi
    4. Check Failures Panel. Clean
    5. INS On. 
  2. Set Cold & Dark condition Shift+3
    1. All 4 Engines fuel levers OFF
    2.  EXT AIR ON (?), PWR Off
    3. Hyd Pumps OFF
    4. INS Off
  3. Set PWR to Batt
    1. Check Failures Panel. Hyd Pumps 1, 2, Elect marked as FAILED
    2. RESET All 
    3. Set ALL Cabin Compressors ON.
    4. INS to Stby, Enter POS, ALIGN, enter all 9 WP Manually. At this time I cannot make the INS Planner to work. And yes, I read the Manual twice.
  4. Start Engine 3
    1. No Hyd on Right Pump.
    2. Check Failures Panel. Same as 3.1
    3. RESET All with the Engine 3 running. Right Pump ok. 3000 psi.
    4. Start Engines 4, 2, 1. Set Generators, PWR to Batt, Set ALL Pneu System switches to High.
    5. EXT AIR Off
  5. After 45 minutes the INS right screen remains in 0 65
  6. Decided to go and fly as in the 1930's.

Report: after 9-1/2 hours flight:

1. Park Brakes, fuel levers OFF 4 engs
  2. Check Failures Panel. Clean.
  3. Set PWR to EXT.
  4. Check Failures Panel. Shows all Hyd Pumps as FAILED.
  5. RESET All
  6. Save Scenario

• Developer

I will be looking at the hydraulic system today to see if your problem can be identified.  However, in the meantime it is possible that saving your flights cold and dark may be contributing to the problem.  I would suggest trying the aircraft without doing that. 

• Developer

Following the checklists is definitely recommended.

I tried saving a flight with the engines off.  Strangely, when I load the flight, the engines are always running.  However, it did mess up the hydraulics.  So I would suggest for the time being -- do not save flights with the engines off.  If you want to start from cold and dark, load the aircraft running and then use the cold and dark button on the loader panel to shut the airplane down. 

This is the Failure Panel I am referring to. 

It shows the component marked al already failed. Not even armed. Failed.

15 hours ago, AAC47 said:

I tried to reproduce your flight and all marked RED are something strange GREEN OK

I cant understand why You don't use EXT PWR and EXT AIR in proper way

When I loaded the scenario all engines acted normal

I suggest You to follow valid check-list

I normally use EXT PWR  while in the ground to save the plane Battery. This is normal. 

There is no way you can start the engines without EXT AIR (Shift+Q).

To Align the INS you must run the Cabin Compressors for cooling purposes.

With the Cabin compressors on you don't have enough air pressure to start the engines. This insures that you cannot run the engines before INS is Aligned.

After INS aligned Cabin compressors are turned on and then there is enough air pressure to start the engines.

When I load my Scenario all engines are running with fuel levers ON no matter I saved with engines off and all 4 fuel levers OFF. You are lucky.

I am open to suggestions because I like this plane and no matter will keep using it.

I thought I was using EXT PWR and EXT AIR in the proper way.

I thought I was reading the valid check-list. If there is another one please share.

I had the idea to run a video but cannot make FRAPS work in Windows 10 since I wanted to share how things are in a visual format. Will keep trying.

I appreciate all the inputs and help from you guys. 

22 hours ago, Michael2 said:

Following the checklists is definitely recommended.

I tried saving a flight with the engines off.  Strangely, when I load the flight, the engines are always running.  However, it did mess up the hydraulics.  So I would suggest for the time being -- do not save flights with the engines off.  If you want to start from cold and dark, load the aircraft running and then use the cold and dark button on the loader panel to shut the airplane down. 

FYI - it is not creating an .asc file when I save a flight with the engines off.  I'll have to test that again just to make sure, but that is what I've found.

• Developer
15 minutes ago, Mace_RB said:

FYI - it is not creating an .asc file when I save a flight with the engines off.  I'll have to test that again just to make sure, but that is what I've found.

I'm not seeing that. Engines on or off shouldn't affect the operation of the ASC.dll.  And there is nothing saved by it that determines whether the engines are running (unless you turn the tank selectors off on the fuel panel).  The fuel shutoff switches are default variables that the sim controls. 

Archived