Issue with VOR navigation

Eduard Gasull

Hi, there is an issue with VOR capture and navigation (Or my unknowledge, so please, in this case, forgive me).  For example. Today  I decided to fly TERTO 1F STAR to GCLA with conventional IFR the chart says that from TERTO you need to intercept R041 of  LANZAROTE VOR (115.2) So near to TERTO (on INS aux nav) y prepare the radios and set the VOR HF NAV1 course to 041, after set autopilot to VOR LOC mode, the plane capture the radial but starts to turn to the opposite direction as you can see in picture 1.  So I decide to set VOR HF NAV1 to the opposite course, 221 and the plane starts to go the correct direction as you can see in picture 2. Is it correct? or is there an issue?  or Something i missed? 

PICTURE 1

Please login to display this image.

PICTURE 2

Hi, mycharts says for TERTO1F, after TERTO you have to fly the radial 221° Inbound of 115.2 LZR. The radial 221° to LZR, in other words. (that's the radial 041 from LZR). So on the HSI,you should set the radial inbound of 221.

8 minutes ago, QWJavelin said:

Hi, mycharts says for TERTO1F, after TERTO you have to fly the radial 221° Inbound of 115.2 LZR. The radial 221° to LZR, in other words. (that's the radial 041 from LZR). So on the HSI,you should set the radial inbound of 221.

See my charts: so the issue is that I don't know how to read this charts.

As you can see, I understand in that chart that I have to follow R041 to intercept LZR and LEAVE IT from R260 UNTIL D78.3 OF TFN (LARYS) THEN 261 or R081 to TFN as you can see in the charts, or I´m not ready correctly the charts.

The autopilot respects the FROM/TO indication, so in this procedure you can't tell it to fly inbound on 081 (because that's an outbound radial where you're coming from). So instead you take the reciprocal, which in this case is 041 + 180 = 221 to fly inbound to LZR, then 260 outbound from LZR to LARYS, then 081 + 180 = 261 inbound on TFN.

Archived