DC-8 Modeling questions and some suggestions

Eduard Gasull

Hi, congratulations and thanks for this aircraft very happy with this purchase.

I have some questions:

1. I have noticed that engines fans animation are not present in this addon, is this correct? i mean turbines are not rotating, at least from the outside view (but engines are working)

2. there´s no engine smoke effects even ins cruising level. is that correct?

3. I have seen in a twitch streaming video from today ( i think it was from richboy channel) that where crew sound messages, are those included?

4. How rain removal works, what I´m supposed to see?

And some suggestions for the developers.

1. External Power and AIR via Shift+3 menu. and the modeling of both if is applicable.  2. Window opening animation, that will be a nice detail.   Cheers

• Developer

I'm glad you're happy with your purchase. Here are your answers:

1.  These engines had fixed vanes in front of the fans to stop large objects from entering the engines.  There is a fan animation behind the vanes, but the vanes make it difficult to see. 

2.  There are two levels of smoke simulated.  The heavier smoke will show at takeoff and climb power if the speed is below a certain threshold.  At low power or high speeds, this smoke will not be visible.  I studied a lot of youtube videos of the real aircraft and this reflects the smoke behaviour I saw.  Then there is a lower level of smoke, barely visible, at lower power settings and low speed. This will be visible typically on approach once you start getting the flaps out and slowing down.

3. There are no crew sound messages presently modelled. 

4. The rain removal used bleed air to essentially blow rain off the windscreens on the two pilots front windows.  If the TrueGlass rain effects are present, turning on rain removal will clear most of the windscreen on the side you turn on.  But you need to have sufficient pressure in the pneumatic manifold -- I think it's over 12 psi or something like that.  With the thrust set to idle, there may not be enough pressure for it to work. 

Several people have suggested external air and power should be accessed through a pop-up, and I am thinking about this for an update. 

Window opening animation.  I opened the windows in a real DC-8 and decided then and there I wouldn't be modelling it.  It's very complex with many different parts moving on many axes.  It's not worth the time it would take to do it properly. 

Archived