Autopilot

slod

Hi,

Really enjoying the plane so far.  One question:

Will you be simulating the "IAS/Mach" hold mode in future updates? - that's quite a difference maker for me.

I imagine it's quite a challenge to program as a lot of 'reasonably priced' simulations fail to include it, but to me this great plane deserves a fully functioning autopilot.

If I had seen the manual first I would have checked, but that's my fault I know!

Thanks in advance.

• Developer

I wasn't implemented on the DC8-50 series and that's why it's not modeled.  The text in the manual on this is taken from a real one:

"The PITCH SELECTOR switch is used to select various pitch control modes of autopilot operation. The five positions are: MACH HOLD, IAS HOLD (indicated airspeed hold), VERT SPEED (vertical speed), G/P EXT (glide path extension), and PITCH DAMP. The switch will not hold in MACH HOLD or IAS HOLD since these functions are not usable as autopilot modes of operation."

You'll get to know over time how much climb you need at different altitudes to maintain the desired speed.  Once the flaps are up, at the weights you use in the tutorial, you'll start out at around 3,500 fpm and then work your way down as you get higher.  When you accelerate at 10,000 feet lower the V/S to about 1,500, then back to about 3,000 to maintain 300 knots.  Then gradually lower it. The last few thousand feet to cruise you are going to be down to 500 fpm.  

Thanks for replying Michael, I read the manual as ‘not simulated’ rather than not on the real thing. 

Great job on the EPR by the way.  For the first time since the Dreamfleet 727 it’s a pleasure to  (try and) fly by the numbers!

Thanks for the detailed response. 

Regards

Archived