Prepar3D v4 or X-Plane 11?

Er!k

First of all, I know this may become a very risky topic... But maybe some of you have the same question, so I'll give it a try.

I am a long time flightsimmer from FS98 - FSX and last year made the move to Prepar3D v4. No more OOM's and now a lot of content available and the Aerosoft Airbus on approach as well... I could port over my custom AI (approx. 1.500 FP's and 12 GB of AI aircraft installed) and using ActiveSky, FTX Global, GSX and numerous scenery add-ons.

I see more and more interest in X-Plane as well. For instance FlyTampa released Corfu, ORBX is getting the new RealEarth products to X-Plane as well and Aerosoft also releases a lot of add-ons for X-Plane.

So I am wondering now, what are the pro's and cons against X-Plane? I am mostly flying airliners (Airbus A320/Boeing 737) and short hauls (max. 4 hours). I have tried to sum some things up below. Wondering how you guys feel about it.

Prepar3D v4

- Limitations of the old Microsoft ESP engine (outdated navdata etc.)

- Largest community for add-ons

X-Plane

- Easier on performance

- Sloped runways

- No good weather add-on available

Since you already got P3D v4, I'd say stick with that. Switching to X-Plane you'd have to make a whole new start, buy all add-ons again, etc. It would cost a whole lot of money to basically get what you already got.

Indeed P3D still has the old Microsoft ESP engine but it's hardly ever being used. Serious add-on aircraft like Aerosoft and PMDG come with their own navigation database, so it's a non-issue. And sloped runways may be a thing with a small aircraft on airfields high up in the mountains, but on the larger airports that see commercial traffic the runways are all nearly flat. That makes sloped runways a non-issue as well.

For me personally the reason to stay with the Microsoft engine and whichever next sim follows based on it is that I can keep using my addons.

If I had to start from zero I'd probably opt for X-Plane, however the availability of high end addons would still be a concern for me.

Scenerywise there are still many more airports for FSX/P3D than for X-Plane, just like with high end aircraft addons.

On the other hands side the X-Plane engine itself is far superior to the MS engine, so if it would not be for the addons there woulnd't be much holding me on FSX/P3D.

Archived