Charts poor print quality

ElliotCarver

Hi all,

as Navigraph has switched to Jeppesen Charts and I thus want to keep with LIDO charts I gave a try at the NavDataPro Charts. Unlike perhaps many users I like to have my charts on paper when flying. As far as I noticed it is only possible to print one chart after the other...

second the print quality of the charts is very poor. sorry for that but pixelised and blurry charts do not help anybody. Is there any way to obtain spot on crisp sharp charts please? On display they are great. So maybe I am doing something wrong but I have not found any option to improve that.

Are there any plans to bring an update that will fix these issues, especially concerning the print quality?

Thanks

I have checked that. Printer settings are ok.

What I wanted to say is that on screen the charts are very sharp. I am sure they are vectorial images. When you print them they get pixelised. It's still readable but not sharp anymore-the vectorial part is now lost. maybe some compression takes place into jpeg format or some sort

Using navigraph charts you have them sharp on screen and sharp on print. It's maybe looking for a pin in a heystack but thats what I am expecting for charts when I pay for

• Deputy Sheriffs
2 hours ago, ElliotCarver said:

It's maybe looking for a pin in a heystack but thats what I am expecting for charts when I pay for

But needle and haystack both have to be on your computer, as I can't reproduce what you describe at all!

The charts are getting rendered for maximum quality on the output device (either screen or printer). If you get them pixelised during print this must be a configuration/limitation of your printer/printer driver. Try to increase the print resolution in your printer driver settings.

I tried many options but it did not improve anything. I also printed it on PDF using Acrobat pro in order to rule out the printer. There too quality is not good. I can provide a PDF for you if you want. Not sure however if I am allowed to upload it here as it shows a chart...I upload a screenshot of the PDF showing a cutout. For Info printing on paper shows the same quality

Please login to display this image.

Have you maximized the screenshot i uploaded? Embedded on this page it looks good.

How is is it possible to increase the resolution in NDP Charts? I added another picture. Left a zoom into a chart from NDP. Right the same zoom on a Lido charts from other chart provider. I used the exact same printer settings (make sure to open the picture to see it completely)

Please login to display this image.

• Deputy Sheriffs
1 hour ago, ElliotCarver said:

Lido charts from other chart provider

Who is the other Lido Chart provider. beside LH Systems and Aerosoft? Navigraph only provides Jeppesen.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I just printed it out in its original size (DIN A4), without any upscaling like you showed (and which IMHO doesnt make sense at all), and the quality is fine.

I don't want to start any fight here. I tried to show that the printed quality of the charts in A4 for MY appreciation is not good enough and looks pixelised. (the zommed pictures were to make it more clear). On screen in the webapplication and the program charts look very sharp and there is no issue when zooming in.

When I buy something to print I expect that it's quality is very good and does not look like a cheap screenshot. It's like if you want to make a good graphic, you can use Paint or CorelDraw. CorelDraw will provide vectorial graphics which will be printed in the best possible sharpness. Paint, well you know...

In my opinion, it is just a thought, in the NDP program you get vectorial quality of the charts (on screen they are perfect and you can zoom into without loss of quality). When printing something is done. Instead of printing the vectorial image, which would still be excellent in quality the resolution or whatever parameter is changed and quality is reduced (it's already visible in this small "preview window" that opens).

Way out would be to either be able to print the vectorial data or increase the resolution of the printed file, either fixed value or as an option.

Of course if I am the only one who asks for high quality prints and everyone else is satisfied, then I have no chance but at least I tried to.

As you are the only one left to offer LIDO charts you could take that oportunity very seriously to offer a really interesting product

• Aerosoft

They are not vector graphics but bitmaps in PDF format, that the only format our contract allows us to use.. Currently we have no plans to increase the file size, sorry you feel they are like a cheap screenshot. We have no heard that comment before but will keep it in mind.

Thank you Mathijs for keeping this in mind. And if ElliotCarver is the first one with this comment, so I would be the second. I am familiar with the LIDO charts, and like he I previously received them from Navigraph. Now I have both chart subscriptions, and I think I have to keep both because both have their individual advantages and disadvantages. Maybe you can increase printing quality in future.

Just a comment on file size: I neither know the actual download size of Navigraph/Jeppesen charts nor that of NDP/LIDO charts. But as I did not uninstall the old Navigraph application until now, it is easy to figure out the file sizes of the former Navigraph/LIDO charts. I did not hear any complaints about their file sizes. Here are some examples, most of them from the 1709 cycle (±1?), the last one Navigraph published with LIDO charts.

KLAX: 11.113.750 Bytes (largest file I found)

EDDF: 10.810.233 Bytes (second largest)

KDFW: 9.963.010 Bytes

KJFK: 8.377.595 Bytes

KORD: 7.294.534 Bytes

LFPG: 6.621.280 Bytes

KATL: 6.459.283 Bytes

EHAM: 4.881.466 Bytes

EGLL: 3.059.439 Bytes

So I think it should be no issue to increase file sizes (if they actually are lower) up to this values.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

Archived