Aspen extended?

Merlin59

I just bought Aspen today. I love the airport but noticed some small issues. I was cleared to land at RNWY 33. I landed and instead of being asked to exit the runway, I immediately was told to contact ground. The only other times I've ever seen this elsewhere was because I landed at the wrong runway. Which I clearly didn't in this case. The other issue is I still use the yellow taxi arrows for directions. I know antiquated but that's just what I use. Mainly at very unfamiliar airports. Now granted this isn't Rome we're talking about in size but still confusing. Are these known or seen before issues? Or am I the only lucky one. Not big issues and I love the airport just really curious. I don't by the way use any other add ons in this area and it is in fsx by the way. Thanks!

I tried landing at RNWY 15 today. Received clearance and got the same pass off to ground instead of being asked to exit the runway first. This is minor maybe but very annoying when you know you were on the runway. Has any one else seen this issue or am I the only one? Also you get no taxi or parking directions. Well you get them but no indication of where to go. That could be solved if I could find a chart online but normal airport charts don't cover this.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Please respond back with what ATC you're using (in-sim or an add-on) and confirm what sim you're using.

Perhaps I don't understand the clearance you're asking about and I don't know about ATC procedures where you live if it's outside the US, but in the US, ATC expects a pilot to expeditiously vacate a runway after landing without further instruction or clearance. From the US AIM:

4−3−20. Exiting the Runway After Landing
The following procedures must be followed after landing and reaching taxi speed.

a. Exit the runway without delay at the first available taxiway or on a taxiway as instructed by ATC. Pilots must not exit the landing runway onto another runway unless authorized by ATC. At airports with an operating control tower, pilots should not stop or reverse course on the runway without first
obtaining ATC approval.
b. Taxi clear of the runway unless otherwise directed by ATC. An aircraft is considered clear of the runway when all parts of the aircraft are past the runway edge and there are no restrictions to its continued movement beyond the runway holding position markings. In the absence of ATC instructions,
the pilot is expected to taxi clear of the landing runway by taxiing beyond the runway holding position markings associated with the landing runway, even if that requires the aircraft to protrude into or cross another taxiway or ramp area. Once all parts of the aircraft have crossed the runway holding
position markings, the pilot must hold unless further instructions have been issued by ATC.
NOTE−
1. The tower will issue the pilot instructions which will permit the aircraft to enter another taxiway, runway, or ramp area when required.
2. Guidance contained in subparagraphs a and b above is considered an integral part of the landing clearance and satisfies the requirement of 14 CFR Section 91.129.

So this extra clearance you're expecting to "exit the runway" is superfluous and not realistic, as indicated in Note 2. It's not at all uncommon, however, when a controller senses a pilot is a little behind the aircraft and/or not familiar with the airport to hear something like, "Cessna 123, contact ground point niner when clear of the runway." But then that's not the same thing as it seems like you were expecting at Aspen.

I use no ATC add ons. It's the default as bad as it is. As I stated in my original post at top it's FSX. Usually in FSX when I land realistic or not the ATC when I'm moving slow enough says to exit the runway when able. This doesn't really matter where I am at. I don't truly know if this is realistic but it always does. Addon airports and default alike. When ever in the past I've not gotten this message it was usually because I either landed on the wrong runway( yep it's happened) or heaven forbid at the wrong airport. As I said I don't know if it's realistic or not but it always goes down this same way. So apparently that's how FSX does it and that's what I have to go by. It's not doing it from either end at Aspen in any plane. As I stated it's not a killer of a problem just not normal on my end. I do want to use this airport in Just Flight's Air Hauler 2 and was concerned that AH2 might not think I had landed at the proper airport if I wasn't getting this message. Thank you for answering and any help. In a some what unrelated issue. Do you know where to find a chart online of the parking and gate locations at Aspen? As I said it's not Rome or such but it is confusing with no directions on where to go to park or to which gate. Thanks again! :)

• Deputy Sheriffs

I did miss your reference to FSX, so thanks for that. It's been so long since I used the in-sim ATC because it's so unrealistic in many ways, that I can't comment knowledgably on what system logic drives this communication. At any rate, although Aspen behaves as in real life, your find may save someone else the trouble of asking about it.

There are many free sources for airport charts in the US, the best being the FAA's charting site here. Another source is Flight Aware. Here's a link to that one. I don't recall if Flight Aware requires registration to access the charts, but even if they do, it's a fantastic site and well worth signing up for. So you can look at it at your leisure, here's a copy of the FAA airport chart you can download to answer your request:

KASE-FAA Airport Diagram.pdf

Thank you very much Herman, I appreciate your help! As I said it's not a killer nor does it ruin my enjoyment of the airport. It was just different and it threw me at first. Thanks for the charts and links. I'll check them out. Keep up the work and thanks again!

• Deputy Sheriffs

I'm happy to have helped. Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived