Preview: Seahawk / Jayhawk for FSX (now called Navy Hawks X)

• Aerosoft

As it now looks like some other projects are going to take more time then expected I decided to do a serious upgrade of the Seahawk project. In FSX this product will be called Seahawk/Jayhawk (but we are looking for a better name). The choppers will be made fully functional (similar to FS2004) and the graphics are all updated to FSX standard, so with bumpmaps, speculars etc. I have seen the first sample and it looks pretty nice. The biggest difference with the FS2004 version is that this product will combine the Coast Guard - To Serve and Protect and Seahawk & Boxer and the fact it will have more ships to land on.

There will be now at least 5 ships (perhaps more);

o The LHD4 Boxer as we know it from the Seahawk & Boxer product

o The Coast Guard Cutter as we know it from the Coast Guard - To Serve and Protect product

o The Xcraft, a small highly modern stealthy helicopter landing ship

o The LCS 2, a medium sized highly modern fast ship

o The CG-50 Valley, an TICONDEROGA class missile cruiser

To preserve framerate in FSX we decided to keep these ships as static scenery objects and not to include missions (they really can slow down FSX). This also means we have to decide WHERE to put those ships and we are asking for your input on that. We like to have the ships just outside visual range of the coast. But if you have suggestions, let us know here where we should put what ship. We are looking for about 10 locations for every type.

Release is expected next week and the download price will be 29.95 Euro for new buyers and 22.95 Euro for upgraders from the Coast Guard / Seahawk (both boxed and and download versions). These prices include EEC VAT so all users outside the EEC will pay about 20% less.

000.jpg

001.jpg

The CG-50 ship (we'll most likely add a more modern version as well)

002.jpg

003.jpg

The X-Craft.

004.jpg

005.jpg

The spooky looking LCS 1.

006.jpg

008.jpg

Coast Guard cutter.

010.jpg

011.jpg

LHD

• Aerosoft
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The shots above are from FS2004... compare to FSX and the brilliant water reflection... (you will only see the image if you are logged on in this forum).

I have to say that I'm spending less and less time in FS9 and the examples above of the difference between the sims is one of the reasons why!

That "Sea Fighter" is an impressive vessel, I've never seen one before.

Since you are publishing MegaSceneryX Hawaii with Dillingham pretty soon, I think one location should be somewhere off the Oahu coast near the "Dillingham"-side of the island. Say northwest of Dillingham.

• Aerosoft

All FSX goodies on the image you see below:

- far better reflections

- selfshading

- bloom

- bumpmaps

- two pilots (the FS2004 could not have two pilots as we exceeded the max amount of vertices that could be compiled)

What you can's see here;

- no more issue with the tail hook text shown

- upper panel fully 3d

- smoother animations

Note you got to be logged on to see the image:

I agree with Lawman that placing a ship on the Hawaii coast is a good idea.

I also suggest to place a coast guard ship somewhere on Florida coast, for instance near Key West.

Btw, will it be possible to place these ships using for instance the object placer tool in the FsX mission editor?

Welmux

• Aerosoft
I agree with Lawman that placing a ship on the Hawaii coast is a good idea.

I also suggest to place a coast guard ship somewhere on Florida coast, for instance near Key West.

Btw, will it be possible to place these ships using for instance the object placer tool in the FsX mission editor?

Welmux

Interesting option, did not consider that, will investigate.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE include moving versions of the ships!!!

We LOVE the moving German Navy Frigate in your excellent Helgoland Scenery and being denied the chance to land on these fantastic new ships whilst they are moving will be absolute torture!!!

If there is a significant hit on FPS why not give us the choice at Install of having either FIXED or MOVING vessels... then everyone is happy.

Please, please, PLEASE... I'm begging you!!!

• Aerosoft
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE include moving versions of the ships!!!

We LOVE the moving German Navy Frigate in your excellent Helgoland Scenery and being denied the chance to land on these fantastic new ships whilst they are moving will be absolute torture!!!

If there is a significant hit on FPS why not give us the choice at Install of having either FIXED or MOVING vessels... then everyone is happy.

Please, please, PLEASE... I'm begging you!!!

Sorry but no, we are planning an update early winter because the FSX Accel pack will probably add some new helicopter stuff and we'll look at it again there.

But look at it this way, when you do not see land, any movement of the ship is the same as wind. Certainly at night you simply have no idea if the ship is moving or if there is wind. The good news is that we will have a slightly updated version of that German frigate included.

But look at it this way, when you do not see land, any movement of the ship is the same as wind. Certainly at night you simply have no idea if the ship is moving or if there is wind. The good news is that we will have a slightly updated version of that German frigate included.

True, except for the pitching motion. This has been modeled before with the default FSX Nimitz Class carrier and could maybe also be done for the Boxer?

Anyhow, I understand what you are saying about the Acceleration expansion pack. Perhaps after the new SDK is out it'll be possible to have ships that pitch AND roll according to wind speed AND direction....! Food for thought anyway!

Regarding Royal Australian Navy (RAN) ships perhaps the Adelaide Class Destroyers would be a good idea, as they carry two Seahawks each.

http://www.navy.gov.au/fleet/gm_frigate.html

• Aerosoft

True, except for the pitching motion. This has been modeled before with the default FSX Nimitz Class carrier and could maybe also be done for the Boxer?

Anyhow, I understand what you are saying about the Acceleration expansion pack. Perhaps after the new SDK is out it'll be possible to have ships that pitch AND roll according to wind speed AND direction....! Food for thought anyway!

Regarding Royal Australian Navy (RAN) ships perhaps the Adelaide Class Destroyers would be a good idea, as they carry two Seahawks each.

Right now the ships will be static objects, can't fully explain but early next year this will become an obvious decision. One nice thing is that you will be able to use Google Earth to place the ships where you want them.

I'll attach another little goody, the winch operator hover controls. This allows the winch operator to move the helicopter in hover. So you look down and by clicking on the TRIM button you are able to change the hover location on the chopper.

• Aerosoft

Right now the ships will be static objects, can't fully explain but early next year this will become an obvious decision. One nice thing is that you will be able to use Google Earth to place the ships where you want them.

I'll attach another little goody, the winch operator hover controls. This allows the winch operator to move the helicopter in hover. So you look down and by clicking on the TRIM button you are able to change the hover location on the chopper.