AUTO Trim at lift off [v1.0.6, P3D v4.2]

Yves77

Hi everyone

I noticed that in V1.0.5 and 1.0.6 at every takeoff of the CRJ700 or 900 the stabilizer trim automatically moves down (or up) by a fixed amount exactly at lift off. This requires some manual counteracting of elevator and/or stab trim to correct the pitch in this critical phase which is not the real behaviour. So I did some investigation and I'm sure the problem relates to the AUTO trim function of the horizontal stabilizer.

AUTO trim adjusts the stab trim by a fixed amount when the flaps are retracted or extended between 0 and 20° (autopilot off). This is a real world feature and works correctly in the sim when already in flight. On the ground, a flap setting change does not move the stab trim, at least not in the sim (the FCOM doesn't specify if this is an in-flight function only). When I set flaps from 0° to 8° or 20° before takeoff by pressing F7 2 or 3 times (or a joystick button), the CRJ seems to memorize the very last key press (e.g. from 8° to 20°). As soon as the main gear leaves the runway, the AUTO trim moves the stab by the programmed amount during 5 to 10 seconds.

In other words, the AUTO trim is inhibited on the ground in the sim, but will execute the flaps related trim command with a delay when the CRJ leaves the runway. I'm not sure aymore if this also happened in V1.0.3.

To give some numbers: Setting flaps from 0 to 20° before takeoff will give a stab trim nose DOWN input of 0.7 units after lift-off (e.g. vom 7.5 to 6.8 as shown on the Flight Control DIsplay). This is the same amount one gets if the flaps are extended from 8° to 20° during approach. A nose UP trim of the same dimension can also be observed when the flaps are moved from 20° to 8° before takeoff. It's also consistent with other flap settings change (from 0° to 1°, from 1° to 8° or vice versa).

Do you see the same thing happening?

- P3D v4.2

- FSUIPC 5.124 (also happens without FSUIPC)

Best regards,

Yves G.

Archived