Changing P3D path for installation

jetpilot1980

Hello,

So I finally upgraded to P3Dv4 and am now trying to install the V3 Tomcat... However, when I installed my copy of P3Dv4 I installed it to a hard drive other than my C / System drive... In my case it was my A: drive I chose to install to...However, the Aerosoft installer keeps trying to point to install in the C drive... Thus creating the following error:

Is there way to redirect the installer paths to my A drive / P3D installation there? Perhaps changing a registry entry? So far Superbug / Tacpack / FSUIPC5 all found the A drive path automatically and just fine... This is the only installer giving me any issues... Thanks

Please login to display this image.

My Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder is on E: so,  all the F-14 stuff is installed on E:\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Aerosoft\F-14 Extended (all the F-14 files, SimObjects and so on).

On C:\Users\*******\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Aerosoft F-14 Extended...there is only an Add-on.xml file pointing to my E: drive...no big deal (2KB).

Works well. I guess you made some mistakes during install...

Regards,

• Deputy Sheriffs
9 hours ago, jetpilot1980 said:

...In my case it was my A:

As far as I rememeber. using the letters A and B for drives could be problematic, as they were reserved for floppy drives in the past. E.g. Windows doesn't index those drives.

Please got the registry to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4" make a screenshot to see what has been written to the variable "SetupPath".

1 hour ago, mopperle said:

As far as I rememeber. using the letters A and B for drives could be problematic, as they were reserved for floppy drives in the past. E.g. Windows doesn't index those drives.

Please got the registry to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4" make a screenshot to see what has been written to the variable "SetupPath".

Hi Mopperle,

Thanks for the response. Please see attached. Since this is a brand new hard driver perhaps I will uninstall everything, re-name and re-install... Based on the registry location it looks like everything pointed to the correct location... Perhaps it is the drive letter? 

• Deputy Sheriffs

Yes, it might be the drive letter, although I had another idea, but the path in the registry is correctly.

As Richard also wrote another path shouldn't be a problem, e.g. my addons are all installed under G:\Addons

Ok so I tired to uninstall and re-install everything after I re-lettered the drive to E: and again same issue... The VRS, FSUIPC and FSX@War installers had no issues finding P3D on E: this time... But again F-14X wants to point back to C: and gives me the same errors... Heading to work now but can post pic later...

13 hours ago, Richard Portier said:

Works well. I guess you made some mistakes during install...

Regards,

Out of curiosity what mistakes might I have made? The P3D Install was pretty straight forward the only option it gives you during install is where to put it so I switched it from C:\Program files.... to E:\Program files... With regard to the Aerosoft installer all I did was change the one and only option it gave me from C:\ to E:\... Since I had only one option during install I am not sure what I would have messed up...? Also based on some of the other threads it does seem as though this installer has proven somewhat problematic for other users as well...

• Deputy Sheriffs

Another idea: there is also a file written to your documents folder under ..\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\

Please show us the complete path of your documents folder: it should read like c:\users\YOUR_USERNAME\My Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

Hi Mopperle,

So now that I am home for the day I have some time to tinker with this... So it now works...

1. I registered and started up P3Dv4 for the first time...

2. I found the P3Dv4 add-ons file where you said it would be on my c-drive under my documents

3. I then directed the installer to that folder

4. it installed to that folder...

My question now is can I re-direct the installer to another folder and keep everything on my E: Drive or does it have to stay there on my C: drive?

Thanks

• Deputy Sheriffs

Yes, simply create a folder on your drive like E:\P3D-Addon and whenever you have an addon allowing you to choose a different installation folder, point it to this folder.

The problem I'm  currently sseing is that Lochheed Martin allows different ways to install an addon (scenery or aircraft):

1. Installation as in the past in a folder below the P3D rootfolder. Disadvantage: in case you update your P3D (not only a client update but also content and scenery) it might effect all your addon installations in a way that it needs to be reinstalled.
  2. Installation into the folder c:\users\YOUR_USERNAME\My Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons. Easiest and a safe way, but many users dont like it, as this folder resides in most cases on a harddrive, a SSD with limited space and with lot of addons you very soon reach a point where you run out of diskspace.
  3. Installation of the addon files elsewhere and only a small file called add-on.xml is place in the folder ...My Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons. This makes sure that the addon gets recognized by P3D as it searches this specific folder and writes the information in a file named add-ons.cfg
  4. Installation of ALL filies (including the addon.xml) into a folder of your choice and registering the addon automically through the installer at P3D.

The last option is the one I like most, as files are not spread around your PC and it is used by the latest Aerosoft installers. Unfortunately some developers still follow the old way, especially in cases where only the addon installer has somehow been made "compatible" just to find P3D at all.

Hope this makes things a bit clearer.(and hopefully I'm not wrong with some statements ;) )

Archived