CTD when opening 2D pop-up of PFD

Hi,

I get CTDs when I click on the PFD to open the 2D pop-up. The event viewer shows a kernelbase.dll error. The CTD does not happen with any click. I can click it mutliple times and then all of a sudden in midflight, when I try to open the 2D popup again, then it crashes. Is this a known problem?

Thanks for your help!

PS: I don't have CTDs with any other add-on aircraft.

vor 40 Minuten, Mathijs Kok sagte:

What's your sim and your OS?

Not a known issue as far as I know.

Hi Mathijs,

I'm using Prepar3d v4.2 and Windows 10 Professional (english version).

As I said, when preparing the aircraft on the ground, I do click on the pop-ups every once in a while and they work fine. I have to resize them as I'm using a triple monitor setup which means the dimensions are completely wrong, when popping them up for the first time (which is P3D/FSX problem and happens with all aircraft). However, after opening and closing them a couple of times, I get CTDs. Up to this point it only happened when popping up the PFD. It tried to use only the co-pilot's PFD on my last flight, but also got a CTD.

I have a very well maintained P3D as I would regard myself as a real power user who does have a deeper understanding of the inner workings, file structure, etc. of P3D. And I have various other add-ons (e.g. PMDG planes, FSL bus, Majestic Q400) where I don't have problems with CTDs when popping up the gauges.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

• 2 months later...
On 3/7/2018 at 9:51 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

Okay let's see if Hans has an idea. As far as I know it at this moment you are the only one with this problem so though I fully believe you are careful it seems at least some local element has to be involved.

Hi Mathijs,

Just to add to this discussion, I can confirm that I'm running into the same CTD, when selecting the display pop-ups in flight. On the ground, they seem to work just fine as ffm777 mentioned. I was able to re-produce the issue 3 times in a row.

P3Dv4.2, Win10

CRJ v1.0.6.0

Orbx NA PNW

FSDT CYVR

Flightbeam KDEN

ASCA/ASP4+ Envtex

Departing CYVR, while selecting any pop up, either it's the ND, FO FMC, it will CTD. For me, it's happened 10,000ft or above. I can supply you the specific route as well, if you'd like.

Thank you.

• Developer

I'm sorry, but I use the 2D windows all the time on every test flight, but never got a CTD because of them.

If you can reproduce this, please enable the "Create minidumps on crashes" option in the CRJ manager and try again. When P3D4 process crashes, this produces a file called "ASCRJ*.dmp" in your P3D4 main folder. Please upload that file to Dropbox, Onedrive, Google Drive, Mega or something similar and send me the link.

One more question: What type of graphics card do you use? nvidia or AMD? (I'm not saying that's the reason but I want to know about differences between what I use and what you use)

On 5/13/2018 at 8:02 AM, Hans Hartmann said:

I'm sorry, but I use the 2D windows all the time on every test flight, but never got a CTD because of them.

If you can reproduce this, please enable the "Create minidumps on crashes" option in the CRJ manager and try again. When P3D4 process crashes, this produces a file called "ASCRJ*.dmp" in your P3D4 main folder. Please upload that file to Dropbox, Onedrive, Google Drive, Mega or something similar and send me the link.

One more question: What type of graphics card do you use? nvidia or AMD? (I'm not saying that's the reason but I want to know about differences between what I use and what you use)

Hi Hans, hope you are well.

Yes, I am able to reproduce this. I will try your suggestions and get you the ASCRJ.dmp for you. 

I am using a MSI GTX 1050ti graphics card. (Nvidia).

I'll get the file for you soon. Should I send it to you as PM?

Thank you.

Hi Guys, had the CRJ a couple of days and am really loving it but I have to confirm I too have yet to complete a flight.  I love the pop out 2d panels especially for the PFD but on every flight so far I have experienced a CTD when interacting with the 2D pop outs, either moving them out of the virtual cockpit or clicking them back in.

• Developer
On 17.5.2018 at 23:58, Tino. sagte:

Yes, I am able to reproduce this. I will try your suggestions and get you the ASCRJ.dmp for you. 

Those dumps are about 500 MB. So better use google drive, onedrive or dropbox for it. Send me a PM when you have the file.

• Developer
vor 24 Minuten, Uberscrew sagte:

so far I have experienced a CTD when interacting with the 2D pop outs, either moving them out of the virtual cockpit or clicking them back in. 

That sounds like you used the "Undock" feature. Is that correct? That's something I didn't try in a long time.

EDIT: I just tried that. Undocked PFD, MFD and EICAS #1 and moved them to the second monitor, then redocked all three windows. But it didn't give me a CTD either.

If you can 100% reproduce the issue, please activate the Minidump function in CRJ Manager so it creates a ASCRJ_Minidump_*.dmp file in your P3D main folder. Then upload that file to some online service (google drive, onedrive, dropbox, etc.... just nothing with a dodgy domain extension like .ru or .me - I won't click such a link) and send me the link via forum PM.

Thanks a lot!

Hi Hans thanks for getting back to me.  Just to clarify if you mean by undock clicking the screen in the virtual cockpit to pop out the 2D equivalent then yes that is what I have been doing.  But these don’t appear as separate windows just as bigger versions in 2D you can move about the screen for easier reference at wider FOV settings.  Anyhow I did some more testing.  Tonight I made it from LOWI to LOWS but made a point not to use any pop-out panels and no CTD, everything worked perfectly.  Congrats on a fabulous aircraft.  However I will continue my testing and report back.

• Developer

@Uberscrew No, I meant right-clicking one of the 2D windows and selecting "Undock window" from the menu that pops up. I tried that but without a CTD.

If possible, please try to get me a dump file as I described above. As I can't reproduce this problem at all, this is really the only way to track down the reason (and hopefully fix it).

Hi Hans,

Recently been having issues with ntdl.dll\CTD's with other products. Seems that GSX may be the culprit here (still unsure and will keep testing). Just for some background information, I've been getting the dreaded ntdl.dll error often. Upon reading up on the GSX forums, a user pointed out that GSX might have something to do with it. The users recommendation was to "restart the couatl module" after push back. i haven't had a CTD yet after trying this. 

I still have to give that last flight a go, just to make sure it wasn't the CRJ. If I don't get the same reproducible CTD, then we know there is something wrong with GSX\couatl algorithms. I don't want to say it is GSX but, seems to be headed in that direction.

I will report back with my findings. 

• Developer

I have GSX installed (although I rarely actually use it) but without any crashes at all. The easiest way to find out what the reason is, is to look at a dump file (if one is created...). Those often point directly to the DLL or EXE that caused the crash.

Ok, this took me a while but, finally saw that GSX is NOT the culprit. Sorry for suggesting that. 

I tried doing the flight again and got the crash (without GSX) Details can be found below:

Running the following:

P3Dv4.2, Win10

CRJ v1.0.6.0

Orbx NA PNW

FSDT CYVR

Flightbeam KDEN

ASCA/ASP4+ Envtex

Flight details:

CYVR to KDEN

Aircraft: CRJ9

Route: HUH DCT TWISP DCT WEDAK DCT OPPEE MOLTN3

Details: Started Gate 85, taxi to RW08R departure, direct HUH then TWISP. Upon reaching FL200 or above, I click the ND in order to view the 2D popup, sim freezes with a CTD. I can confirm there is no error within event viewer under "administrator events". I can usually see something if it crashes with a different aircraft, but nothing for this one.

Upon selecting "Create minidumps on crashes" option in the CRJ manager and trying the flight again, it DID not crash. It's the first time out of 8 flights now that it hasn't crashed. The only thing different was selecting that option within the CRJ manager... any idea's on that one? I'm out of them.

I will have to keep trying in order to obtain the dump file. Sorry this is taking so long.

Thanks

Ok, another flight tested.

Upon selecting "Create minidumps on crashes" option in the CRJ manager and trying the flight again, it did not crash until later in the flight. (About 1 hour in, to be exact). This was unusual, since all the crashes before that point were within the same area\altitude. Again, this was caused by clicking the PFD or ND to bring up the 2D popup.

Upon searching for ASCRJ*.dmp in my P3D main folder, it did not come up with any such file. Even with the option selected in the CRJ manager. Any suggestions with this?

Thank you.

I'm also having this issue. I have done a reinstall as admin, with anti-virus exclusions, and anti-virus off. I keep getting CTDs when I open up the panels on the PFD, CAS, etc. Any solutions?

• Developer

We're still trying to find the reason for this issue. The main problem is that it's not a general problem and only occurs to very few people.

Do you use any special utility add-ons. For example Chaseplane or EzDok? Also, which sim do you use?

Yes, I'm running ChasePlane. (Which doesn't cause CTDs with any other add-on aircraft on my system). The sim is P3Dv4.2.

• Developer
vor 2 Stunden , ffm777 sagte:

Yes, I'm running ChasePlane. (Which doesn't cause CTDs with any other add-on aircraft on my system). The sim is P3Dv4.2.

That may or may not be the case. Fact is that there's no way to find out what causes the CTD unless I get my filthy hands on a proper minidump ;-)

Just tried a flight. Crashed when clicking on the PFD to bring up the 2D panel. I had the "Create minidumps on crashes" option in the CRJ manager selected but it did not create a dump file in the P3Dv4 main folder...

• Developer

It's still a no go here. Can you describe for a completely stupid person (me) what exactly you did when the crash happened? Like "resized window horizontally", "resized window diagonally" etc.? Also, and this is a spontaneous question, do you use windowed mode for P3D or full screen?

Archived