Uninstall required for system stability

I purchased the CRJ just a couple days ago, and today experienced a total baffling problem with my PC.  I'm using P3Dv4.2 with Windows 10.  I completed a short flight and shut down my computer.  Once I restarted it the memory usage (16Gb) was at 98%.  With each restart of my system, it again was at 98% memory usage and I was stuck as to the cause.  My Ram sticks were re-seated and still the problem.  So I uninstalled the CRJ, and just like that my problem was solved.  Something with the CRJ is initiated at system startup and keeps running even when P3D isn't active, and now I'm too spooked to install it again.  Do you have another explanation on this?

• Developer

I can guarantee you that the CRJ doesn't contain anything that would or even cause such a behaviour. From a technical point of view it is completely passive for your system until you load it in P3D. There are neither exe.xml nor dll.xml entries for it nor module dlls launched via add-on.cfg/add-on.xml

The only system parts in the CRJ installer are the Visual C++ 2017 redistributable files, but those are sourced directly from Microsoft. Are you sure that your PC didn't install some Windows update at the time?

I had Windows normal security updates installed a couple days ago, but they didn't impact my system performance.  I was with tech support of my computer builder, and after trying numerous things they suggested I uninstall any recently installed software.  The CRJ was the only new software in a month, and my issues immediately cleared up once it was off my system.  The biggest concern for me was even restarting my computer wouldn't fix the memory problems.  It only took me a minute to uninstall the CRJ and everything is now working fine again.  I know it's weird, but your plane and my system just don't get along. 

I just reinstalled it, and so far no problem with memory.  One thought occurred to me, and that is I had the RAAS feature turned off for the first couple days, but then turned it on before this morning's flight.  The memory problem didn't occur until today, so I wonder if RAAS is the problem.  I have it turned off right now and will see how I manage.

• Developer

I don't know the RAAS code so I can't tell you. There's no interaction between the it and the CRJ. However, RAAS is loaded via dll.xml, so It's kind of resident while FSX/P3D is running.

Also keep in mind that if Windows is simply checking for new updates, which it often does upon system restart, it will absolutely crush your system resources. I try to reboot as infrequently as possible for that very reason. I've found that it can really bog down the system for the first 15-30 minutes after reboot if Windows is checking for updates. Did you happen to check Task Manager to see what was using all that memory?

• Developer
vor 3 Stunden , adamant365 sagte:

Did you happen to check Task Manager to see what was using all that memory?

That's actually a good question. I'd be interested in that too.

I wasn't familiar with Task Manager yesterday, and didn't realize all I had to do was click the header to list them from high to low.  So the problem will remain a mystery for now.    I did read on another forum that if you open and close the RAAS configurator a few times it will eat up memory in chunks, so I'm thinking that was my problem.  If RAAS was the problem, then I don't know why my system returned to normal after uninstalling the CRJ, and that will remain a mystery too.  

On a positive note, I had a great flight in the CRJ today with no memory issues (RAAS remained turned off).  Hand flying is a dream, the sounds are very good (except for some switches that all sound alike), frames were excellent, so I'm very pleased with the overall value.  There's a lot of plane here for $50, so great job Hans!  You may close this thread if you choose, and I'll open another if this should happen again in the future.     

Archived