Low Upper Airway limits in LPPC UIR

I am curious to know why PFPX shows the limits of Upper Airways in the LPPC LISBOA UIR as being between FL195 and FL245 when aircraft in the real world, as shown on www.flightradar.com, are clearly flying well above that higher limit.

Mike

The airway structure in Europe is disappearing in favour of Free Route Airspace ( FRA ), some countries at this time retain the airway structure also.

By the end of 2019, most European airspace is expected to have implemented FRA, with all airspace having this type of operations by 2021/2022

FRA isn't totally free, requiring the use designated points for entry/exit/intermediate and airport arrival/departure.

PFPX enables a user to create direct links which are not available from AIRAC data. Additionally thanks to David :) users can install his files ' RAD Restrictions & Directs' from the download section of this forum. Whilst nearly impossible to allow automatic route creation for all eventualities these updates go a long way.

OK thanks Stephen I am starting to understand it now.

If FRA gets rid of the seemingly stupid and ill-thought out restrictions in Europe it will be a good thing. :-)

Will FRA also include low-level airspace (resulting in no airways at all)?

How will FRA affect the FIRs and UIRs, will they remain unaffected?

Mike

In some areas the lower routes are already removed.

I'm not sure of any planned changes to FIR/UIR, you may be able to route directly across them, but these may be subject to restrictions :), at least for now.

Hi Stephen,

I cannot open the "Update1803" file, nor can I open the "Update1802" file.

WinZip reports that either file "...does not appear to be a valid archive."

Earlier files appear to be OK.

Mike

Hi Stephen,

Me again! :-(

It appears that I might be doing something wrong (although I do not know where) because ALL the route restrictions are marked as having been revised on 25th May 2016. There is nothing more recent even though I have installed, as per the instructions given in the 'read me' file, the 1801 update.

I am not sure that I understand how to use the RAD in PFPX so that may be where my problem lies but the manual is of no help at all as far as RAD is concerned!

Another issue that I have encountered is that when attempting to repair my PFPX installation using the "maintenance' function of the installation file the ONLY option given is to completely remove the existing installation which is NOT ideal nor is it what I expected or wanted.

Mike

PFPX implements a partial filter of RAD, it is not updated per AIRAC cycle and a user can adjust the entries based on those published EuroControl RAD

The RAD filter is used by PFPX when using the automatic route find functions along with the FRA directs. Perhaps post a route you are trying to plan ?

There is very little to repair in the PFPX installation, is there a specific issue you are trying to resolve ?

On 5.3.2018 at 03:11, Budlake sagte:

I am curious to know why PFPX shows the limits of Upper Airways in the LPPC LISBOA UIR as being between FL195 and FL245 when aircraft in the real world, as shown on www.flightradar.com, are clearly flying well above that higher limit.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Lisboa has a lower/upper border at FL195. And due to FRA the upper levels are just capped at FL245. So it's correct when PFPX displays "Upper" airways.

Regards

David

vor 9 Stunden , Budlake sagte:

Thanks Stephen,

I do you have an idea as to why I am unable to open the 1802 and 1803 rar files?

Mike

vor 9 Stunden , srcooke sagte:

You may need to use WINRAR Mike.

Beside Winrar 7-zip can also be used.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2018 at 3:40 AM, srcooke said:

The airway structure in Europe is disappearing in favour of Free Route Airspace ( FRA ), some countries at this time retain the airway structure also.

FRA isn't totally free, requiring the use designated points for entry/exit/intermediate and airport arrival/departure.

PFPX enables a user to create direct links which are not available from AIRAC data. Additionally thanks to David :) users can install his files ' RAD Restrictions & Directs' from the download section of this forum. Whilst nearly impossible to allow automatic route creation for all eventualities these updates go a long way.

Stephen, is this why there are no upper airways in the Vienna area and the FIRs to the east of it in PFPX? 

That is correct Eric.

The map at EuroControl gives an indication of Free Route Airspace, not all areas have withdrawn the upper airways.

Upper Airways in Italy have a top limit of FL335, above is FRA.

Archived