simCfgBackup folder has started growing!

Sabre10

Hello, I wanted to make a rar backup of my SIMstarter NG/data folder before full reinstall of Prepar3Dv4.2 when I discovered it was huge, almost 900Mb. Turned out simCfgBackup folder there was full of backups (363 items) since 2017/12/06 only!

Please please explain what in SIMstarter triggered them to propagate? If I'd like to save a backup of my latest SIMstarter settings do I need only one latest backup folder there? And how to stop SIMstarter to create them in hundreds?

Thanks!

Thanks for the pointer, but if I got it right I suggest you change the default setting in Backup Plan to run Backup at SIMstarter NG Program Start from active to disabled. Not everybody goes there to change settings. Like I myself discovered that I had over 300(!!) backups due to that obscure setting being active by default apparently after I ran SIMStarter over 300 times! No wonder, because I start P3D via SIMstarter.

• Developer

Thank you for your feedback. I will think on it.

At the moment I am very sure that this function is very useful if a backup is needed.

In addition you have been acceped a dialog that told you about the new backup systems. This dialog has an option "Don't show this dialog any more". You may clicked it?

Please login to display this image.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I am quite happy to know that SIMstarter creates regalur updates backups. It gives me the confidence that what ever I or SIMstarter mess up, there will always be a way back. And it does this without the need for me to tell it so. 

I have to admit though that 300 backups might be a bit much. How about a feature like "keep the latest xxx backups"? That xxx can either be hardcoded with a meaningful value (like 50)or or even a configuration item for the user to decide by himself. 

• Developer
2 hours ago, Tom A320 said:

I am quite happy to know that SIMstarter creates regalur updates backups. It gives me the confidence that what ever I or SIMstarter mess up, there will always be a way back. And it does this without the need for me to tell it so. 

I have to admit though that 300 backups might be a bit much. How about a feature like "keep the latest xxx backups"? That xxx can either be hardcoded with a meaningful value (like 50)or or even a configuration item for the user to decide by himself. 

Good point. I think on it. Or working with a threshold in Megabytes. If limit has been reached he could inform the user who can delete backups that are not needed any more. Or do you prefer an automatic deletion?

The problem on "automatic" is that a number of backups can be reached if a user defines small backups at every start. The backup MB limit can be reached very soon if someone is working with a lot of different BackupSets.

Therefore I left in user hand at the moment. But I am open for your thoughts - how to save disc space.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I wouldn't mind automatic deletion. It just needs to make sure to keep relevant backups for frequent and rare users.

How about: "delete backups older than xxx months, but keep at least yyy backups."?

I would suggest defaults for xxx = 2 and yyy = 20.

This way rare simmers who start their sim every couple of month will be sure to have a meaningful set of backups, and frequent simmers who fly on a daily basis will not get their drive flooded.

• Developer

I implemented a "Limit warning" which can be selected by the users. Default will be 250 or 500 MB (waiting on input from the beta team).

Please login to display this image.

Archived