Kamchatka and P3D

Heronjr

“Kamchatka - The Lost World" was announced to run on Microsoft Flight Simulator X ( Acceleration Pack, SP2 Gold Edition) or Lockheed Martin Prepar3D. Years ago I did install it successfully in FSX and used UHPP often as a cargo pilot, coming from Japan, going to Alaska. 

Now I am using P3Dv4 and my cargo flights are memory CTD free during long hauls, but I miss some sceneries not yet converted to v4. 

May I use Kamchatka safely in P3Dv4?

Regards

Heron

file

• Deputy Sheriffs

Since it hasn't even been announced if it will be ported over, let alone done, there's no guarantees. Not sure what you mean by using it safely, though. If you mean, will it break P3Dv4, it shouldn't. The worst that I'd expect is that it won't install, or if it does, not display correctly. That said, you can always try it and see. Before you do, at least ensure you have the latest version and installer. While we're not able to offer support if it doesn't install or run issue-free, it would help the rest of the community if you reported back with the results.

Good luck and best wishes!

Herman,

Yes, I meant "safely" when things appears correctly, no CTDs, flying buildings or trees on the runways. I will try today to recover the last version, install it and sure be back here to report results.

I know it is an old project and I don't expect support. Just volcanos... ;-)

Regards,

Heron

Reporting back now - Kamchatka the Lost World installed on P3Dv4:

1. Installation was normal, creating Aerosoft folder inside P3Dv4 root folder, and the "Kamchatka - The Lost World" scenery subfolder, plus the uninstall files. I had to point the P3Dv4 folder to the installer.
  2. The installer did not insert the Kamchatka scenery in the Library, so I had to do it manually, but without issues - otherwise you are thrown on a tarmac in the middle of a frozen forest, without buildings nor vehicles.
  3. With the scenery in the Library, went to UHPP gate 1 and, voilà, the complete airport with buildings, buses, tractors, trucks, cargo hardware, people, and I even saw a guy or a girl riding a bicycle outside the fence.
  4. The tarmac is okay, free of vegetation, with snow at the margins, naturally. Although I have UTLive at 100%, there was any commercial jet on this afternoon parked there. Only a AI business jet which performed a perfect land at rwy 34.
  5. Taxiing to the runways 16/34, you can see the long taxiway is correctly painted with a large central yellow dirty guide.
  6. But, reaching the parallel 16/34 taxiway, the marks changed from the yellow guide to sort of incomplete white marks (or covered by snow) all the way until turning to the runway threshold.
  7. There is no threshold runway marks nor runway numbering, but you can take off along the asphalt.
  8. I made a short flight around the airport, saw some volcanoes and big mountains, and saw the city before intercepting the ILS of rwy 34, which is working and is perfectly aligned.

As long as the ILS is working, one can use this scenery to refuel heavies or practice some bush or scenic flying. But, be careful. Kamchatka is much bigger than the UHPP area, and no one knows if there may exist critical CTDs hidden between those volcanoes, due to possible scenery version conflicts.

Regards

Heron

• Deputy Sheriffs

Heron, thank you for this excellent and detailed report. I'll leave this open for a fortnight or so in case you or someone else has something to add

• 1 year later...

Archived