Mathijs Kok

Alea iacta est.......... Aerosoft A318/A319 professional

1 hour ago, MCFX said:

i'm too tired to read the whole article

You don't need to be fully awaken to use the search field in the top right corner of this page (or Google) ;) 

3 hours ago, alpyeni1 said:

Hi guys,

A massive applause for the work being done here. Looking forward to seeing all airbus family soon here, by Aerosoft.

A quick question: (Sorry if it was asked before.) Will there be a version of A321LR, or at least, a model with CFM-LEAP?

Sorry, NEO is not planned at the moment.

11 hours ago, 747-400fan said:

Is it like on the maddog X like when you turn things on in a precise order the voice talks even though you can't control it like RAAS? Cuz it's awesome! 

No it goes a step further, if activated the semi intelligent PM will actually initiate checklists, it is far more then just a triggered sound, The semi intelligent PM can also DO things so you will feel you are really working with another person n the cockpit. It's our stand alone version of Connected Flight Deck. We honestly feel that flying an airliner on your own is a very strange way of trying to be realistic. Ask any pilot how much time their training spends on crew coordination and they will tell you it is super important. 

2 minutes ago, Teufelsrochen811 said:

I am sure someone asked that question already, but I cant find - Will there be an immersion pack when the busses come out?

thanks

Should be a question for OldProp Solutions, which makes the immersions packages... 
Their forum is here 

2 hours ago, generale84 said:

fslabs pushing their release of 319...this summer will be head-to-head between those busses ! :D

I did not know FSLabs is going down in prices to where the products can be compared. But even if prices are not being considered there is a big difference in the approach towards the aircraft. While FSLabs focuses on the systems, we focus on making the environment and interactions as realistic as possible. The aircraft for us is just the tool to simulate flying a modern airliner. So with two people (or the semi intelligent co-pilot option) etc. 

I think you won't find many pilots who say they can fly one on their own. 

BTW, we are in discussion with several developers who would like to license our system.

53 minutes ago, Cladiir said:

Will that include icing by any chance?

If you activate the anti ice systems (where they are not automatic) icing is almost not a factor. Read this and do this and you won't have to think about icing.

Engine anti-ice
ENGINE ANTI ICE must be ON during all ground and flight operations, when icing conditions exist, or are anticipated, except during climb and cruise when the SAT is below -40 °C.
ENGINE ANTI ICE must be ON before and during a descent in icing conditions, even if the SAT is below -40 °C.

Wing anti-ice
WING ANTI ICE may either be used to prevent ice formation, or to remove ice accumulation from the wing leading edges.
WING ANTI ICE should be selected ON, whenever there is an indication that airframe icing exists. This can be evidenced by ice accumulation on the visual ice indicator (located between the two cockpit windshields), or on the windshield wipers.

If you like to experiment what happens if you disable these systems you will be better off with other products (if they model it). But there is no sane pilot who would do that. He would lose his job immediately.  I did check but de-icing systems also seems to be highly resistant to failure so to see it as a an item that a pilot can expect to encounter seems not justified. You must expect to fly hundreds of thousands of hours before seeing it. As we try to keep things as they are in the real aircraft in normal flights is was an easy decision not to spend too much time and money on icing. 

7 minutes ago, Cladiir said:

Obviously not in the cockpit, yeah. I just asked since it’s a daily occurrence for many pilots that has extreme consequences if ignored.

Well we do assume our customer pilots to use correct procedures and then there simply are no consequences. 

13 minutes ago, Cladiir said:

Obviously not in the cockpit, yeah. I just asked since it’s a daily occurrence for many pilots that has extreme consequences if ignored.

Seems in this product it will have no consequence if disabled, which is fine for the target of the product, but then it also makes you wonder why bother modelling it at all if it does nothing...

2 minutes ago, eaim said:

I thought the AS busses already simulate icing.

Sorry but no, we do not simulates what happens if two pilots forget to set the correct switches. But just in case you might, we'll see if we can add it to the list of things the semi-intelligent PM can do. He could warn you or activate the systems himself. As realistic as you can get!

2 minutes ago, walterg74 said:

Seems in this product it will have no consequence if disabled, which is fine for the target of the product, but then it also makes you wonder why bother modelling it at all if it does nothing...

Well if you want to experiment with aircraft systems I think you will have to include a complex icing system. Or if you have an aircraft that is very prone to icing and has limited de-icing systems it is a must to include. That's why we included a rather complex icing system in the Twin Otter Extended. From windshield to the effects of icing on the turbines. With a complex reading of the weather parameters etc. But that was in 2012. 

On 29.5.2018 at 14:33, Mathijs Kok sagte:

We do not plan that. Not big fans of them as they are so incredibly memory intensive and you need at least 6 gb of graphics mem to be able to utilize them properly.  Always keep in mind that the difference between an 1k texture and a 4k texture is not 3k but 15k.

Regarding the performance let me just add a thought on this on a general basis:

I'd two flights today to cover anything, that may affect the fps in my opinion:

1. EDDT-EDDF: 3rd party addons (Orb X Global, Active Sky and REX SkyForce 3D) used, with 20 aircraft on arrival and partly cloudy skies along the route.

2. EDDF-EGLL: 3rd party addons (Orb X Global, Active Sky and REX SkyForce 3D)used, with 60 aircraft on arrival and thunderstorms on arrival.

Total review: I'm positive speechless by the performance: During both flights I was stunned by the fact, that the fps were constantly between 20-60 fps,) depending on the flight phase you're in (i.e EDDF taxi in 20-35 sometimes even higher). Even the HD clouds didn't drop the fps significant.

However: During my arrival in EGLL they were somewhere between 10-25 for a short period of time, but that's surly caused by the huge traffic flow.

Mathijs, were you able to communicate with Holji to correct his repaints for the "Professional" product?

Darryl

8 hours ago, Cladiir said:

Will that include icing by any chance?

Let me add a final comment on this discussion. I am in a type rating for a modern jet airliner at the moment (won't say which one as some people in here might call me a betrayer ;)) and I just had one of the winter ops sessions today on the full flight sim.

First of all: Icing is a lot more than just an increase in drag and weight and some visual effects.

Let's start with some of the basic procedures.

During preflight we always turn on the probe heat if we experience freezing conditions to avoid the probes freezing up on the ground (is that an effect you would like to see included in icing already? If it is, do you have any idea where we could take the measuremeants for which kind of conditions are needed to make the probes freeze and how long it might take to melt the ice? The guys developing the FFS did certainly not...). Then you keep the flaps up for taxi (do you want us to include the effects slush or ice might have when getting into the area between the flaps/slats and the wings? Interesting one for maintenance, but for us as pilots the day would be over here if this happens. Next up, did you know you are not allowed to use the wing anti icing when de-icing fluid of types II and IV have been used because it will weaken the effect of the fluid?

This is the kind of consideration we give to general operation in icing conditions. There are more, but this gives you an idea of what kind of effects I feel should be simulated for proper icing conditions.
Here's some more considerations for flight during icing:

Not all surfaces on modern aircraft are heated, in my aircraft for instance only the wing leading edges, engines, flight deck windows and probes are heated.

The complete tailplane for instance is not. So ice will build up there. We just assume 4 tons added to our Gross Weight for that since there is literally no program out there which could calculate the actual amount of ice.

Then you have the effect on the control surfaces. On a fly by wire aircraft like the Airbus it's not that noticable to the pilot, but when you fly in direct law you surely will notice a difference in handling. Now my aircraft does not have FBW so I asked the instructor to handfly a bit to feel the difference in handling. But no chance, I had to keep it in AP since the full flight sim is not able to give you a proper representation of what it might feel like (in the end it might always feel difference as ice may build up on different surfaces, in different amounts, etc.). So in order not to do "negative training" we just remained in AP.

Of course there are also differences in the drag penality by the different types of ice. Rime ice will have different effects than clear ice, etc.

To summarize this: It is easy to ask "will it include icing", in the real world however there is no such single simple thing as "icing". Adding visual effects and a bit of drag and weight would be easy (easy on the developers part, probably not as easy on your computers performance though), but there is a lot more belonging to a proper icing simulation.

NASA at this point in time is still conducting actual flight tests for research on icing and are not yet relying on computer simulations for it as it is just too complex.

But we might think about an "Icing simulator 2030" at some point :)

Time for a small friday update: A330 main gear bay proceeded too, but got a feature call on another topic for the small busses....

Oxygen Blinker logic is just about being implemented, so they all are active now (but no bug!)

masken.png

We added this Ox thing because a lot of customers asked for it. And in a first of the day flight it is indeed important.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:28 AM, ColH said:

I think you will find that a large percentage of "flight simmers" will fly for only a short time in each session. A lot of people just want to flightsim as a form of entertainment and relaxation.

Shared flightdeck is perhaps for the more "serious" simmers, who have the time, and lack of pressure in their every day life, and have all the time to set it all up.

Just my humble opinion of course, but please don't take it too seriously.

I can certainly understand your perception, but really it's just the opposite.

I have over 8000 hours of Shared Cockpit time and vast majority of those flights were about 2 to 3 hours in length (including pre-flight).  Everything I've done in the flight sim over the past 35 years really pales in comparison to flying shared cockpit, save for save for multi-player, cooperative, air combat sims. Flying shared cockpit during a VATSIM event?  An absoltuely AMAZING experience!

One of the terrific things about the upcoming Aerosoft A330 is the Connected Flight Deck (Shared Cockpit) as it will allow for crew changes.... so if you're a 3 hour type, then you can jump in and jump out!

Best wishes!

48 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I can certainly understand your perception, but really it's just the opposite.

Indeed, doing things together makes it more fun and easier. More relaxing. That's why we spend a sh*tload of money on making it foolproof and easy. Just start with sitting on a jump seat.

However, progress on the 'semi intelligent co-pilot' is very good and even though it is no replacement for a real human, it will still mean you are assisted and still have a good idea of what it is to fly a bus with two people. 

39 minutes ago, janjoensson said:

Hi! 

I am a big fan of Aerosoft for many years and the current Airbus from AS was my favorite airliner. 

Reading through the pages of this preview topic I get the feeling that this new Airbus Professional is more advanced than the current and that the systems might be more difficult to learn how to handle. 

Do you still think this new version will be managable for me as a holiday simpilot or is this product more aimed at a more professional customer?

Keep up the good work! 

Best regards 

Jan Jönsson 

Hi, this Product will feature some more sysem enhancements. But you will still have the checkist and CoPilot function. Also the tutorial is there. I thik you will be able to move very fast to the enhanced systems. It is not such complex. Fly first with CoPilot, look into the tutorial, and you will be really fast familar with this new bus.

35 minutes ago, 747-400fan said:

(even though after 20+ flights in the FSL i still don't know how to "test T.O config" maybe someone knows?) 

The same way as it is done in the AS Airbus. 

3 hours ago, arhuse said:

The new bus features things like the co-pilot which will help you learn the ropes quicker in terms of SOP's and relieve you of a lot of workload while flying.  

Just to clarify: this is not a new feature but instead already part of the Aerosoft buses for several years. 

21 hours ago, Patrick Almeida Helzer said:

Where is Aerosoft A318/A319/A320/A321/A330 Professional Preview part 3 and part 2 ?

Totally outdated and deleted.

9 hours ago, janjoensson said:

Do you still think this new version will be managable for me as a holiday simpilot or is this product more aimed at a more professional customer?

A very good question! It's an issue we spend many weeks discussing over.

As you know we totally focus on the day to day flying of these aircraft and do not really care about emergencies or issues that happen once in many tens of thousands of hours. We focus on the things that happen every single flight as we feel that is what flightsimming is about. We do not want to simulate the simulated flights pilots do to train for emergencies. Most certainly not on a single person cockpit because if there is one thing that is totally unrealistic it has to be flying an A320 on your own. It's illegal. So in that aspect things are very much the same. You still get Connected Flight Deck, you still get the semi intelligent co-pilot to 'simulate' another person on the flight Deck. 

What has changed is a lot behind the scenes. As a holiday simpilot you will most likely never notice we simulate the temperature of the fuel or the way systems demand more electricity. You might also not see the huge amount of work on the weather radar (by far the most advanced in any fs add-on to date). Or the fact the MCDU is much more complete (as far as we know the most complete Airbus one to date). You will see things like the on board printer that prints out bits of information you will need (loadsheets, weather etc). EVERY Airbus pilot uses these every single flight and they have never been simulated. And yes, if you extend the tray table we'll also simulated you getting some coffee. Because pilots like coffee and the whole procedure of securing the access to the flight deck with camera's and locks is rather interesting and it happens every flight

We do not care a lot about an APU fire (because it never happened), we do not care about a single engine failure combined with an unconscious co-pilot because it never happened. We do not care about a dual engine failure (and forgetting about the unconscious co-pilot) because it happened one time in over 200.000.000 hours of A320 series blocktime. Or we could say we HAVE included it ultra realistic, if it did not happen to you in let's say the first 100.000 hours of use we'll refund the product totally. That's still means you will have that emergency a whopping 2000 times more often then a real pilot, but hey, we'll refund!

In the end, flying our new bus will be very much like the previous version. You will see we simulated the first flight of the day a lot better (with all checks etc) and if you really know the systems you will see that the data shown is far more correct (yesterday I landed at the equator, using a very steep descend from a very cold layer to see how the fuel temp behaved!). And of course it looks a lot better. 20 dimmable lights, rain on the windshield etc.

2 hours ago, klam said:

Do the engines bouncing during turbulence? looks really neat on QW 787

I believe you're talking about wing flex.  No sir, the Aerosoft Airbus A318-A321 will not be programmed with wing flex, however the A330 will. .  This decision was made quite some time ago.

For others... we've revisited the subject of wing flex many times over, and the decision has been made and affirmed each time.  We realize some people care about this, but let's try not open up yet another discussion about wing flex.

I hope everyone experiences some great flights this weekend!

Best wishes!