P3D 4.2 Compatibility List

DLHAirbus321

*** @ Moderators: Please close the topic, if there's has been opened something like that already or move it to wherever you find it more accurate to be placed! ***

I'd like to know, if anyone of you guys have any experience concerning P3D 4.2 compatibility. There's plenty of information all across the web, but I thought it might be useful to have all of that moved into a single thread.

I decided to stay on hold for some days at least until downloading 4.2, since right now 4.1 works wonderful for me and I don't find the time to solve thousands of issues and incompatibilities. So feel free to help contributing to this list.

Thank you all for your help.

Sincerely yours

Nicolas

• Deputy Sheriffs

Nicolas, I guess there is no definite answer to your question. It starts with the fact that there are 4 different flavours to install v.42:

1. Update only the client

2. Update Client + Content

3. Update Client + Content + Scenery

4. Complete reinstall aof P3D

Easiest one seems to be option (1) and it should give you only few problem, like Active Sky no longer working (at least it gives you an error message), also FSUIPC gives you a problem. and so on.

Finally it will be something like trial and error and each developer can only test it for his own addons but not in combination with others, which might lead to problems.

So any kind of compatibility list will be a never ending story, cause when it is finished, P3Dv4.3 might already be out. New products like the new Airbus series will have a P3Dv4.2 tag, but others? New addons, may be, older addons, nobody knows.

And this brings me to another point: P3D is NOT a consumer product, but a serious training tool. And used as such you will never have tons of addons installed, but only very few, like 1 or 2 aircraft, a weather engine and a handfull of sceneries.

So IMHO you shouldn't expect anything like another "Compatibilty List" like for v4, when we switched from 32bit to 64bit and other real major changes.

• Deputy Sheriffs

To add to Otto's excellent advice, since P3D of any flavor is a serious training tool, that implies end users aren't installing their own add-ons or otherwise altering the platform. A common term for that is configuration control, the opposite of what reality is like in the general flight sim community.

Thanks for both your answers. I get your point on that, but I have to admit that I never meant to narrow P3D as the professional platform it is. I just wanted to find a place where one can look up and/or contribute to which devs already updated to 4.2 since I'm sure that not each and every one of the different devs have the same speed of updating.

Besides that I want to say something maybe not everyone (especially Lockheed Martin) wants to hear (and I want to make clear that with the following lined I don't react on both of your answers, for which I'm really thankful): I find it to be an impertinence by some parties on the web that enthusiasts and hobbyists are being pushed into a corner of having to defend themselves for wanting to use this highly professional training software to contribute to their hobby. I'm sure that the professional market alone wasn't the intention and the moving spirit of inventing the flight simulation itself back in the days of Microsoft's first sim. And, of course, I get it, the professional market is growing and it needs more quality to keep up to the needs of professionals, but one might not forget about the enthusiasts.

Somehow I find that to be sad. I started being enthusiastic about flight simulation when I was only 6 years old and was flashed that something like MS Flight Simulator 95 was even possible when my dad first introduced me to it. Since then I kept up to my hobby and still sometimes I feel like this six year old boy wondering about the incredible things that revolutionized my wonderful hobby. I always wanted to be a pilot. My dreams have been smashed by the heavy astigmatism my eyes are suffering from. Then I thought about air traffic control and again my goddam astigmatism smashed that. Today, having followed a completely different career (without any regrets) I come home from work and dream about what could have been in front of my computer and that's wonderful.

Aerosoft, you make a wonderful job and thinking about your Airbusses alone I can only say that you found the right balance between professionalists and enthusiasts (from the software itself to the support and help with all of your products always tailored to the needs of enthusiasts as well) but what I see during the last months is that the community is getting more and more restrictive and I don't want that to get normal.

Again, please see this as the statement it is and not as any sort of bad criticism. I'm sure that some members of the worldwide community are sharing my opinion on that. Maybe we can start a good discussion about that since I would be interested in new input on that matter.

Keep up your wonderful work!

Kind regards

Nicolas

As it is a Proffesional platform Herman I find it hard to understand how there are are so many Proffessional Users that can warrant the number of Proffessional products Aerosoft produces for it.

• Deputy Sheriffs

The "professional side" is a major and successful market for Aerosoft. In this market segment, they include over 75 professional flight training schools (see this link and also here) and even airport traffic control tower simulators for real world ATC training. Any product they produce for this market has to be hyper-accurate, and the licensing fees to Aerosoft are well worth their effort.

• Deputy Sheriffs

But that doesn't state your allegation at all.

It states the simple fact what market Lockheed Martin develops their Prepar3D for.

So your attempt to connect that with Aerosoft is simply not valid.

Lets just leave it,  I was not trying to have an argument, just point out that the market was not limited to those that I, and I think others could have, read the comment.

If you wish to delete these posts I have no objection

Archived