How to install this v3.00?

Hamilton01

Hello,

I have this product since released and I´ve never had problems to install ,but this 3.00  version is driving me crazy...

It asks : "Please select a folder to save the Scenery Data.To install to this folder ,click next.To install to a different,click Browse and select another"

Scenery Data ???  I tried the default pointed C:\Myaddons ?!?, i didn´t work.. then I tried the default P3D directory.. I didn´t work... Jesus, do I have to manually copy those folders from Aerosoft folder to P3D ?? If so what´s the purpose of an installer?

Thanks for any input,

Hamilton

• Deputy Sheriffs

I didn't have any problems installing the F-14. the installation process simply follows the new possibilities given by LM to install an addon.

The step you are mentioning allows you to choose a folder where to install the addon files. Per default it offers C:\MyAddons. In my case I choosed a diffrent folder which is (in my case) g:\addons. Why it doesnt work wtith the suggested default folder, I dont know.

The same with your P3D folder: If you choose another folder the installer simply creates a subfolder where all files are stored. Maybe you can expalin in detail what didn't work.

In general the installer works as follows:

1. you choose a folder where all product files are being placed
  2. then the installer creates another folder for the product in ...p3d\Ecosystem\Aerosoft where it puts e.g. the documentation
  3. then the installer creates another folder for the product in ...user\yourusername\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\ where it puts only a file "add-on.xml" file which points to the folder you defined in step 1

On the last 2 steps you have no influence, they are defined by LM

So IMHO there is no special instruction required and you are the first one where the installation does not work for whatever reason.

3 hours ago, mopperle said:

"I didn't have any problems installing the F-14. the installation process simply follows the new possibilities given by LM to install an addon."

"So IMHO there is no special instruction required and you are the first one where the installation does not work for whatever reason."

First of all,thank you for your time to answer my post, about "following the new possibilities given by LM to install an addon"  I would follow ANY new possibilities provided there ARE instructions how to do it

About " there is no special instruction required", there are NO instructions at all, I´m using P3D V3 and there´s an option for P3Dv3 I tried the default offered C:\MyAddons and when I run the sim there´s no F-14 installed.

"you are the first one where the installation does not work for whatever reason."

Not true again,check Avsim , SOH and flightsim.com Forum and you´ll see pages and pages about problems to install it.

Why didn´t they put a small readme to explain those steps...

Found the culprit !!

Even choosing the P3D v3 option during installation, the installer create a Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder ...user\yourname\Documents\ where it puts inside only a file "add-on.xml  INSTEAD of creating a Prepar3D v3 Add-ons folder since I don´t have v4, so I delete the v4 folder and copy the Aerosoft F-14 Extended folder to my Prepar3D v3 Add-ons folder.

So it was NOT my fault, it´s a bugged installer.

• Deputy Sheriffs
17 hours ago, Hamilton01 said:

Found the culprit !!

Even choosing the P3D v3 option during installation, the installer create a Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder ...user\yourname\Documents\ where it puts inside only a file "add-on.xml  INSTEAD of creating a Prepar3D v3 Add-ons folder since I don´t have v4, so I delete the v4 folder and copy the Aerosoft F-14 Extended folder to my Prepar3D v3 Add-ons folder.

So it was NOT my fault, it´s a bugged installer.

TBH, you could have mentioned in your first post that you are using P3Dv3 ;)

And the new installation methode works only in P3Dv4.

But I'll ask Aerosoft to check the installer.

• Deputy Sheriffs
5 hours ago, Penzoil3 said:

Don't feel bad the Lantirn font locked up my P3D4 to where all I could do was reinstall P3D 4.

Sue

Please dont hijack others topic. If you have a problem open your own topic.

I can confirm that P3D V3 installer put the files in the wrong places, it's not a good thing since if you move the files where they should be than you cannot do a clean unistall.

I've reinstalled previous version, until V3.0 installer has been fixed.

For the fonts problem: no need to reinstall P3D, simply open windows registry, search and delete fonts\F-14X_LANTIRN entries, than restart windows and you can delete the font file.

I'll try to explain better the situation: the last installer uses the external add-ons folder also for P3D V3, so not only it puts the  add-on.xml inside Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

Please login to display this image.

but also put the simobjects in a folder not visible by TacPack for P3D V3.

I've did some testing and found that:

-loadout manager doesn't work.

-carrier is missing from TPM

-Animations (throttles, wing sweep, ...) aren't working.

-Standby AI has not been fixed.

Don't know if performance issues (probably caused by the excessive texture resolution and some VC gauges, mostly VDI/TV) had been fixed, it was impossible to fly the plane (uncontrollable), so I didn't had the chance to see the empty texture squares that appear only with the F-14X.

Best regards.

Enrico

• 2 weeks later...

I can answer at least the installer and TacPack portion of this thread.

Externally installed add-ons is the direction that LM is pushing, though different development groups have adapted the methods to various degrees. Prepar3D v3 is just as capable of reading externally installed add-ons as v4, but it wasn't until the 64-bit version came out that it really caught developers attention (E.g. A2A, FSDG).

We worked with VRS to get the external installation functional within v4 and v3, but it meant that an update to the TacPack was required for v3. The last I heard, the v3 update of the TacPack to allow external add-ons (and recognize the Kitty Hawk) was going to be released at or after their v4 version. If that hasn't happened, it certainly explains why the loadout manager and KItty Hawk aren't working. I can ping the folks at VRS and see when the update is planned. My guess is that it's a little ways out since P3Dv4.2 was released and they are probably working on it's compatibility patch for the TacPack as a whole.

In the interim, I would suggest running the F-14 in P3Dv3 with TacPack turned off.

I've also brought up the installer issue with Aerosoft to see if it can be squared away so that the v3 files are placed in the correct directories.

• 4 weeks later...
On 20-2-2018 at 10:57 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

If all is well the new installer done yesterday solves this issue.

Mathijs,

Found this issue on the forum and it is exactly the same issue I have.

We have had e-mail contact about this issue but unfortunately I have not been able to install the F-14 Extended on Prepar3d v4.2.

Hope to find a solution soon.

Harald

• Deputy Sheriffs

Again, the installer for works perfect in P3Dv4. So you are sure that you donwloaded the correct installer, as there are 2 of them:

- FSX/Steam

- P3D only

1 hour ago, mopperle said:

Again, the installer for works perfect in P3Dv4. So you are sure that you donwloaded the correct installer, as there are 2 of them:

- FSX/Steam

- P3D only

Yes, P3D only, v3.00.

Installed as Administrator with virus scanner off.

But after installation this is my Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder:

No F-14 Extended files installed so no F14 avail in Prepar3D.

I installed Prepar3D on a fresh Windows 10 installation about moth ago.

Harald

7 minutes ago, Harald777 said:

Yes, P3D only, v3.00.

Installed as Administrator with virus scanner off.

But after installation this is my Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder:

No F-14 Extended files installed so no F14 avail in Prepar3D.

I installed Prepar3D on a fresh Windows 10 installation about moth ago.

Harald

Hmm, just found out that I have a duplicated Documents folder:

And there is the Aerosoft F-14 Extended installed as described by the installer.

So my file structure is mixed up, I have to fix that first.

29 minutes ago, mopperle said:

Could it be that OneDrive is involved?

I don't know what caused the duplicated folder structure.

Restored the original structure, re-installed the F14 Extended and now all is working fine.

Great.

Thanks for the response.

Harald

• 1 year later...

This is the issue I had after purchasing the F-14 from SimShack 03/22/2019. https://www.simshack.net/products/f-14-extended-fsx-p3d-1208

The only 2 installers they have are shown on their download page as:

Download version purchased and/or Download latest version

I downloaded both but each only shows:

AS_F-14 EXTENDED_FSX-FSX STEAM.zip

AS_F-14_EXTENDED_P3DV4

So which is the latest version for P3Dv3.4.22.19868? Neither installer has an option to choose P3Dv3.

Update:

SimShack offered a different installer but it seems to do what this OP had. it places nothing inside P3D's root Simobjects folder. It does however create within the P3D root folder a folder named F14X Extended and inside it are folders such as Effects, Texture, Simobjects, Gauges, Font...

Archived