Fire and Smoke not visible.

Conect

Hi,

When intentionally set engines on fire, alarms and procedures are working fine, but there is no smoke or fire effect on the engines.

Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Effects contains fx_Aerosoft_Twot_engfire.fx and fx_Aerosoft_Twot_engsmoke.fx files which should be visible in the sim under these circumstances.
I am not sure how to force visibility of these effects as they should be part of this product by itself.

• Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
  • FSX / Acceleration (SP2) (Boxed)
  • Aerosoft Twin Otter X Extended v1.21a

Please tell me how to fix this.

Conect

Yes of course. Did a few tests. The engine starting smoke does work pretty well.
Hot-start situations don´t show fire and smoke. And Excessive T5 temperature situations don´t trigger the effects aswell.

Which setting would affect the visibility of the smoke and fire effect?
Is there supposed to be a custom (fx_XXX.bmp) Bitmap in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Effects\texture folder corresponding to the fx_Aerosoft_Twot_engfire.fx and fx_Aerosoft_Twot_engsmoke.fx files? Or maybe in another path? Didn´t change any of the file locations.
I am not sure if the effects aren´t triggered or might be missing at all.

So it would be helpful to know:

• Which setting in FSX does affect the visibility of said effects?
  • Is there supposed to be a corresponding bitmap to these effects? (And if, at which Location?)

Deinstalled, Cleaned and Re-installed twice.

Conect

• Deputy Sheriffs

Your detailed description of what you did and what you checked for is most helpful in running this down. Mine's in FSX SP2, but that should be close enough I hope. I'll give it run tomorrow afternoon and see what I can do.

What conditions were you expecting to produce "fire and smoke" besides a hot start? In my experience with the PT-6 in real life, a hot start simply results in an elevated IT, nothing like what I've seen in a turbojet engine or even a T53 L-13 on a UH-1H.

Created following situation for excessive T5 until fire alarm goes off:

• 30°C/58°F OAT
  • Full fuel flow
  • Full Prop
  • Full "throttle"
  • climbing at about 1800fpm

After a few minutes the fire alarm goes off and results in a power loss in both engines. Shouldn´t that result in visible effects? As T5 is maxed out fire is expected to be visible. Isn´t it?
Basically it´s like that but without the nice effects:

• Deputy Sheriffs

That scenario would do it. Thanks for including the video, and choosing dusk to make it easier to see any fire effects. I believe the effects you're asking about are visible. For example, in the video freeze-frame in your post before you play it, you can see the fire effect. Watching your video, I saw the behavior I'd expect: a flaming fire at 3:20, the engine core (GG=gas generator) spooling down to zero since pulling the fire handle shuts off fuel, followed by the T5/IT temp falling off when the fire is out at around 3:38, the prop RPM up because you weren't feathered so the props were windmilling, smoke replacing the flames by 3:49, and finally going away at around 4:32.

Perhaps you were expecting a large blaze ala a Hollywood movie. I've never had an inflight fire myself, but at 120K, you won't get a blossoming bloom of flame like you would with no airspeed.

This is not about expectation. This is about not getting visible smoke and fire effects.
The above example video shows the scenario for engine fire pretty well.

But I don´t have visible fire and smoke effects!

Simple questions still unanswered:

1. Which setting in FSX does affect the visibility of said effects?
  2. Is there supposed to be a corresponding bitmap to these fx_Aerosoft_Twot_engfire.fx and fx_Aerosoft_Twot_engsmoke.fx files? (And if, at which Location?)

On ‎04‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 12:57, Conect sagte:

Yes of course. Did a few tests. The engine starting smoke does work pretty well.
Hot-start situations don´t show fire and smoke. And Excessive T5 temperature situations don´t trigger the effects aswell.

Which setting would affect the visibility of the smoke and fire effect?
Is there supposed to be a custom (fx_XXX.bmp) Bitmap in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Effects\texture folder corresponding to the fx_Aerosoft_Twot_engfire.fx and fx_Aerosoft_Twot_engsmoke.fx files? Or maybe in another path? Didn´t change any of the file locations.
I am not sure if the effects aren´t triggered or might be missing at all.

So it would be helpful to know:

• Which setting in FSX does affect the visibility of said effects?
  • Is there supposed to be a corresponding bitmap to these effects? (And if, at which Location?)

Deinstalled, Cleaned and Re-installed twice.

Conect

• Deputy Sheriffs
19 hours ago, Conect said:

This is not about expectation. This is about not getting visible smoke and fire effects.
The above example video shows the scenario for engine fire pretty well.

But I don´t have visible fire and smoke effects!

Sorry Connect. I thought that was your video. When I though it was yours, I discontinued my testing, so will pick it up again this afternoon.

In addition to Mathijs' suggestion, you could also look to ensure "Preview DX 10" is unticked on that page. 

Update: I overtemped the engines and got a fire bell and the other instrument indications of a fire. Outside however, I did not see either fire or smoke. Looks like the effect might not have made it into the new version or more torture on the engines is needed to get them to light up. So there might not be a fix for what's just eye candy.

• 1 year later...

I am just wondering if there was ever a solution found to this.........I am in Prepar3d V4.5 and just noticed in the content errors the following lines:

The effects are in the effects folder as well.........

There are several but the smoke and fire effects missing would be nice if they worked.........

Thanks,

David

[error.0]
error=Failed to load visual effect "fx_Aerosoft_Twot_engfire "

[error.1]
error=Failed to load visual effect "fx_Aerosoft_Twot_engsmoke "

[error.2]

[error.3]

[error.4]

[error.5]

[error.6]

[error.7]

[error.8]
error=Gauge/Script Error
Type: Gauge
Name: GPS_530view2D
Error: Invalid script (command not found - perhaps a space is missing or there's an extra space?): "True" in: True

[error.9]
error=Gauge/Script Error
Name: TW_Sys2
Error: Invalid variable (missing : - did you forget a macro?): PROP BETA:1

[error.10]
error=Gauge/Script Error
Error: Invalid variable (missing : - did you forget a macro?): PROP BETA:1

[error.11]
error=Gauge/Script Error
Error: Invalid variable (missing : - did you forget a macro?): PROP BETA:2

[error.12]
error=Gauge/Script Error
Error: Invalid variable (missing : - did you forget a macro?): PROP BETA:2

[error.13]
error=Gauge/Script Error
Name: GPS_530vc3D
Error: Invalid script (command not found - perhaps a space is missing or there's an extra space?): "True" in: True

[error.14]
error=Duplicate Section Name
File: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft_DHC6_300_WHEEL\sound\sound.cfg
Section: CENTER_TOUCHDOWN

[error.15]
File: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft_DHC6_300_WHEEL\sound\sound.cfg
Section: LEFT_TOUCHDOWN

[error.16]
Section: RIGHT_TOUCHDOWN

[error.17]

[error.18]

[error.19]

[error.20]

[error.21]

[error.22]

[error.23]

[error.24]

[error.25]
error=Payload station indexes should be between 1 - 12

• 7 months later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived