CTD when clicking pop-up displays.

fluewa

Hi,

new Customer here.  On my first two flights, when clicking on the displays in cruise  P3Dv4.1 freezes and I am getting a CTD.  The event log records a kernellbase error.

Regards 

Perry

This is usually due to a problem with a system file on your computer which caused P3D to crash rather than P3D causing the crash.  The best thing to do is reboot.  Should this start to occur regularly you might want to update your drivers (including video card drivers) and if that doesn't resolve things then try disabling software from loading one at a time until the problem is resolved (focus on non-Windows 10 software if you have any).

There is nothing else I know of that can be done, except if the problem becomes really bad, then reinstall Windows and update all your drivers before you install P3D.

Best wishes.

Thanks Dave for your kind support.

I will investigate. The only  drivers that are out of date are chipset. I am not sure if I can update these without problems.

On 1/31/2018 at 7:26 AM, fluewa said:

Thanks Dave for your kind support.

Always my pleasure my friend.

On 1/31/2018 at 7:26 AM, fluewa said:

I will investigate. The only  drivers that are out of date are chipset. I am not sure if I can update these without problems.

You should be able to update your chipset via a bios update (specific to the chipset), though be sure you update all available Bios updates when you do this.

4 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Kernel errors are almost always hardware based....

Mathijs is absolutely correct, and older drivers can cause hardware related issues (true hardware issues can as well, but they aren't nearly as common as driver issues, at least on somewhat newer systems that people running flight sim software usually run).  One of the most common PC Kernel based CTDs occurs because of problems with NVIDIA cards / NVIDIA drivers. Another very common cause of these CTDs is overclocking the CPU and/or the GPU.  Finally, HEAT (high temps) can also cause this type of CTD.  You might consider downloading Hardware Monitor (freeware) from www.cpuid.com and monitoring you CPU Core, Motherboard and GPU temps while running your flight sim.  CPU-Z is another great program you might consider getting at the same time.

Keep us in the loop with what you're trying and how things are going?

Best wishes.

My system is from mid 2016. I did a complete reinstall of Windows 10 after Prepared v4 released. I am not using any OC. In below pic you may find my system specs and temperatures.

So far I updated  all the drivers and Nvidia driver except the chipset and BIOS, which I don’t feel like touching.  Checked windows being up-to-date. I also completed two flights in the CRJ not touching the displays without CTD. As well as several other flights with add-ons from other developers without problems (including a 10 hour flight). My P3D usually runs very stable.

Today I did one more flight with moderate clicking on the displays without problems until I clicked on the engine display. during descent and got the same CTD.  Does it mean something different that the first error error is a net run time? 

Please login to display this image.

• Deputy Sheriffs

The first event log screen shot shows an error within the Microsoft .Net Framework. 

You might want to check if there are updates available for your installed framework.

Archived