Transonic effect on VSI and Altimeter

CF104

Hi,

I'm just getting into the F-14 Extended in P3D V4. I didn't get a chance to use it in P3D V3 as I had purchased it just before moving over to P3D V4.

Now that I've had some time to do some training and familiarization flying I'd like to make a comment on the Transonic effects on both the VSI and Altimeter. It would appear that this transonic modeling is quite exaggerated in my experience. Both the VSI and Altimeter fluctuate wildly between about 0.91 and 1.1 Mach. Normally through flight testing and wind tunnel data, any positional error in the static ports is biased out in the aircraft instruments. The effect I'm seeing in the sim is what a constant shock wave travelling back and forth over the pitot/static probe would do. There should only be one perceptible bump in the VSI, Altimeter and Mach/Airspeed indicator as the shock wave passes the probe at Mach 1. 

Any insight into this observation would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

John

The transonic effects on the altimeter and VSI were modeled on Mach ranges, frequencies, and magnitudes provided by an F-14 driver who flew multiple tours and had front and back seat flight experience. He also provided similar input for perturbations from the refueling probe (which are notably smaller if I can remember correctly). It seems it’s a quirk of the airframe.

Archived