-------> Time to vote....

• Aerosoft

... for the funniest, most informing, most exciting, whatever diary.  I spend some time thinking about this but in the end I believe the best way to handle it is to ask everybody to send in their favorite three diaries (in descending order). We'll keep this open till Jan 8th and then tally up the scores.

Aerosoft staff is out of competition (can't win, can't vote), deputies, sheriffs and moderators are fair game. 

Sorry,

I know I'm dense, but in this case I'm even more confused than normal.  Where do I "vote" as in listing my three favorite diaries?  Is there a secret ballot option?  To be honest, I think to preserve the good nature and intent of the event, secret ballot should be the only voting option!  I don't claim to be smart enough to suggest how a secret ballot in a club like this could be accomplished.  But surely someone knows of a procedure to do it!

Also earlier you wrote there are two categories for awards, one category is pre-1970 the other post-1970.  Does the two category rule still apply?

Rupert

3 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

... for the funniest, most informing, most exciting, whatever diary.  I spend some time thinking about this but in the end I believe the best way to handle it is to ask everybody to send in their favorite three diaries (in descending order). We'll keep this open till Jan 8th and then tally up the scores.

Aerosoft staff is out of competition (can't win, can't vote), deputies, sheriffs and moderators are fair game. 

4 hours ago, rupert said:

Sorry,

I know I'm dense, but in this case I'm even more confused than normal.  Where do I "vote" as in listing my three favorite diaries?  Is there a secret ballot option?  To be honest, I think to preserve the good nature and intent of the event, secret ballot should be the only voting option!  I don't claim to be smart enough to suggest how a secret ballot in a club like this could be accomplished.  But surely someone knows of a procedure to do it!

Also earlier you wrote there are two categories for awards, one category is pre-1970 the other post-1970.  Does the two category rule still apply?

Rupert

Hi Mathijs,

I second Rupert on both points raised. First a secret ballot is most appropriate and Second, the pre-and-post 1970 categorisation that defined this activity from the outset! There should be a maximum of 3 votes on each category. At work we use https://www.surveymonkey.com/  (I am a staff activist and we use this for various staff union polls). Just a proposal.

Khalid

Hello !

I agree with Rupert's and Kalizzi's remarks.

Also, I would like to add something : A fair vote would mean, in my opinion, to have read all diaries, 135 if I understood correctly. I understand also that not all of the pilots have finished the journey but still, there is a lot to read and I'm afraid that only a week to do this is a bit short, even for a retired person like me ! What's the hurry to close this so soon ? How about waiting for, say, the end of January ?

Just another proposal, of course !!

Happy New Year to everyone !! :band_s::goodluck_s::cheers_s::cheerup_s:

Mathijs, I think you need to make a ruling about this because otherwise everyone will have something to say. 

IMHO, I think the ATW80 is done and dusted and should be wrapped up. I think we have all read the diaries that we want to read. It's not an exam. My preference is therefore a vote by the 8th.

A private email to Mathijs is indeed a simple secret ballot and is a great solution.

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

you can vote for the best three diaries

As for the Pre-1970 / Post-1970 aircraft debate I dunno that it makes much sense, since SeanG's blog, for example, would not qualify for a vote.  Best three diaries seems to me to be a fair compromise.

Dave Britzius

(Cape Town)

I don't mind if we have more time to read, but it is strange that so many people didn't use the official google logbook made by the moderators. There are much more topics than entries in the spreadsheet and to be honest I mostly read those who took the time to update their rows.

If the competition is only about choosing everyone's favourite this is not a problem, but if there is a nice prize for the winner (say, a big discount on any aircraft) then the moderators should check every topic if they comply with the rules that were given before the event. Then you could release the list of those who fall in this group with links to their diaries and from those we could chose the 3-3 best after reading. 

The easiest solution would be to give a generic gift to everyone who finished and the moderators should decide who deserves more. 

I'm sure though that some would say this wasn't emphasized before and it wouldn't be fair to decide this after the event. Maybe just give a free A330 to everyone who finished, I'm okay with that :) 

As far as I am concerned everyone who completed this challenge is a winner....with bonus points to those who actually kept to the story fairly closely.

It was a good event and I enjoyed sharing what I did with you all.  

Not sure there is a need for who is the best photographer, the most inventive fictionalist or the most fluent writer.

For me, there is no problem to vote.

I will send Mathijs my vote in 3 categories: pre-70, post-70 and all together, so he can use for voting what he want.

I have read the most of the diaries, dont know if i miss one or two. But reading the diaries at long distance flights, at home or at the office (pssst - don't tell my  boss), reading the comments of the other pilots, was such a great fun, i miss it very much. I did one or two (or fifteen, sixteen?) flights since the end of the atw-tour, make screenshots, thinking about new  tours, buy an aircraft how is faster then the valkyrie to make captn Mops the fastest cat on earth and then i realise, atw80 is gone, there is no diary, where i can place the pictures, where other can make comments. Maybe i will work on my website -thats another story.

But fact is, for me, yes everbody is a winner who has started the tour and made it, slow with a lot of flights or fast in easy hops. But some of them has made so pretty pictures and videos, flightstories and fun stories, makes me laughing or gives me inspiration, its a pleasure for me for vote for them.

Happy new year!

PeSt and Captn Mops 

23 hours ago, helikopeter said:

I don't mind if we have more time to read, but it is strange that so many people didn't use the official google logbook made by the moderators. There are much more topics than entries in the spreadsheet and to be honest I mostly read those who took the time to update their rows.

If the competition is only about choosing everyone's favourite this is not a problem, but if there is a nice prize for the winner (say, a big discount on any aircraft) then the moderators should check every topic if they comply with the rules that were given before the event. Then you could release the list of those who fall in this group with links to their diaries and from those we could chose the 3-3 best after reading. 

The easiest solution would be to give a generic gift to everyone who finished and the moderators should decide who deserves more. 

I'm sure though that some would say this wasn't emphasized before and it wouldn't be fair to decide this after the event. Maybe just give a free A330 to everyone who finished, I'm okay with that :) 

I totally agree with Helikopeter. Briefly it's an Aerosoft problem.

It has been a demanding experience for us to stay in the time and on the few but clear rules from the beginning. The Forum administrators should have the best feel of the situation.

Anyway,

my vote is public since, even if many reports were interesting, it's so simple and evident who are the pilots that added something particular and made a tour, that without them could have been nothing special, something to remember in our virtual second life: Windswept/Lambert/Roger/the sisters and so on that made me come to the forum every moment to look for news (even if I admit at last it was too much to read), SeanG who really got the feel of the ATW Tour, and MM for the historic research. Sorry no post 1970 is something remarkable or even equal to them.

Stay well and safe landings in 2018 to all.

vor 6 Stunden , akanishta99 sagte:

That's fantastic lol

The (Glowingheat) Lookhead A-12 is still a bigger beast than the Valkyrie, five times i started a new fast round around the world, ervery time the beast goes into highspeed stall. But this fight is not over, i will take the "Habu" around the world (maybe only with mach 0.9 :-) )

• 1 month later...

Archived