Helgoland Professional

Christopher Low

• Deputy Sheriffs

Well, Helgoland Professional has been designed for P3Dv4 and LM recommends in general a graphic card with 8GB RAM for P3Dv4.

But it also runs fine on my 8 year old system with a GTX660 with "only" 2GB RAM ;)

System requirements written by the developers or publishers don't mean much anymore these days. I remember a test a while ago where someone determined the absolute minimum hardware certain software would run on and the result was quite amazing. A bunch of old junk was able to run the latest software, eventhough the system requirements from the developer said much higher system demands as recommended or even required. Of course it didn't run smooth, but it did run. But just the difference between running and not running is sometimes surprisingly low.

Of course those recommendations aren't written for nothing, they're advices about on what hardware the product should run smooth. But don't worry if your system does not completely match those advices, the chance of it not running at all are very low.

• Aerosoft

Patrick, with respect but that is simply not true. About 52% of support we do has to do with people who try to run our software on hardware that has specs below what we recommend. Of course that is mostly people with 400 euro laptops trying to run one of our stand alone simulations without separate GPU (spoiler it will not work) but it is also true for Flight Sim add-ons.

So the hardware/software requirements are far from meaningless. They are more important then they have ever been as there is more low end hardware and more high demanding simulation software then ever before. 

You should never assume something will work if your hardware/software does not match the requirements. Of course it might run but for sure it will not run as we expect it to run. For Helgoland 8 Gb of GPU ram is not excessive. I have seen it use 6Gb many time on my system. 

It is often overlooked that P3D V4 is only build for Win10 for example. We have seen errors on older OS version that we can simply nor recreate on Win10 systems.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2017 at 7:40 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

You should never assume something will work if your hardware/software does not match the requirements. Of course it might run but for sure it will not run as we expect it to run. For Helgoland 8 Gb of GPU ram is not excessive. I have seen it use 6Gb many time on my system. 

Helgoland has been developed on a 2GB GPU without running into any problems with it. FPS is soso on 2GB if settings are very high but that only works because it's so far out - there's not much around it than water.

Bests,

Sascha

Archived