Yet another question on brakes...

Nosmo King

Hello there,

I know the "OMG my aircraft doesn't turn" thing is a pretty common "issue" with the An-2, but I believe what I am experiencing is something a little different: I have selected "K" in the braking options, and assigned a joystick button to the brakes command (tried with a key as well, makes no difference). Now, when I press the brakes button (yes, before someone asks, I have pneumatic pressure), the brake gauge shows about 6 on both left and right brake, as it should. Then, as I apply left pedal, still holding the brake button, pressure in the right brake drops, while left remains at six. Good so far. Buuut, as soon as I apply right pedal, still holding the brakes, pressure in the left brake drops (still good), but the right brake pressure does not come back up. In other words, even though continuously applying the brakes, after full pedal deflection to both sides, I end up having no brakes at all. Only way to re-apply the brakes is to release the button and press it again.

I tested the same with the "A" settings and toe brakes, no difference. Also, I have only the free version of FSUIPC installed, so all my controls are assigned directly in sim.

So, my question is:

1. Is it an actual property of the real An-2, that you must re-apply the brake after rudder input? From what I know of Russian planes and planes in general, that should not be the case, and it certainly doesn't seem very safe.

2. Is it something else I am missing?

3. Or is it a bug?

Thank you kindly for your reply!

• Aerosoft

Well it is strange but correct.  

If you keep a brake pedal pressed the whole system will quickly lose pressure and that is exactly what happened on your case. The standard procedure is to tap the brakes, not apply constant light pressure. You have enough air for around 30 of these 'taps' , but on long taxi runs you simply have to keep en eye on the pressure.

Archived