It's a Russian aircraft...

• Aerosoft

... and that means that a lot of things are simply done different. You can not jump into the An-2 and take-off if you know how perfectly how a Cessna 172 flies.  For example Russian love to use pneumatics for many systems (strange because no pneumatic system ever maintains pressure and you have to 'refill' it all the time). 

We seen a lot of questions on the forum and in tickets that are based on misconceptions on how things work. A good friend of mine who flies airliners for a living just told me "I have the highest respect for russian planes. I just can not fly them without reading a manual. " And that's from a guy who flown CRJ's, also an aircraft with weird and wonderful systems.

So kind advise.... read the freaking manuals.

And one have to find the manuals!

I do not have any entry in the WIN10 start menu and have installed my AN-2 in my separate addons folder (external from P3Dv4 main).

But Aerosoft installs the manuals anyway in te EcoSystem folder inside P3Dv4 main.

So I wonder why AS asks about an installation path if they install where the like

I kind of agree with Vickers... I was hoping for a proper tutorial flight as well (like they are usually delivered with the CRJ or the Airbusses). If it would not be for good tutorial videos on youtube for the Sibwings An-2, there would be no way you get this thing started with the checklists that came with the plane...

• Aerosoft
3 hours ago, guenseli said:

And one have to find the manuals!

For the last 15 years all our manuals are added to the windows start menu and should thus be very easy to find. The files themselves are installed as Lockheed suggested to us in meetings. I will let you them know you were not happy with that idea.

• Aerosoft
1 hour ago, david.hilker said:

I kind of agree with Vickers... I was hoping for a proper tutorial flight as well (like they are usually delivered with the CRJ or the Airbusses). If it would not be for good tutorial videos on youtube for the Sibwings An-2, there would be no way you get this thing started with the checklists that came with the plane...

We did the standard usability tests on this product and all our 6 testers were perfectly able to start the aircraft using the manuals. Can you tell us exactly at what point you got stuck so we can update the manuals?

Actually I can't tell you exactly. Maybe it is starting with the fact, that you have to open several pdfs at once. One for the information, where is what, one for the checklist itself... one more for the flight tips of Alexander Metzger. I am not saying it is impossible but certainly there are better ones out there. Your Airbusses were my first airplane a few years ago and the Step by step tutorial made it really easy for me. Since then I bought many aircraft and most of the times I don't need such a step by step tutorial anymore... but for this different kind of aircraft it would have been really nice... Call it AN-2 for Dummies if you will :)

Hi,

for starters, there are the inconsistent naming conventions and general discrepancies across the manuals. For example, Vol5 manual wants me to switch on "Oil cooler shutter position indicator", "Ambient temperature thermometer", or to "use syringe pump". Neither of those names are mentioned in Vol1, where cockpit controls are described.

Another thing, it would be nice to have a manual with detailed description of aircraft systems, other than the (horrendous) copy of the real life manual. So far, we only have the Vol1 manual which contains few images with descriptions to tell you where the controls are, but does not say a thing about what they do.

For example, there's the EMI-3K switch, and, well, that's about it. If you are not an expert about Russian/Soviet avionics, it's your guess what part of the An-2 might be called EMI-3K. I actually happen to know a thing or two about Russian avionics (DCS World and all), but don't really care to remember their designations (Russians really love acronyms, btw!), so I had to Google it up. It's the combined oil/fuel temperature/pressure gauge, if anyone wants to know, which, on the page 10 of the Vol1 manual, is designated as "Fuel Pressure / Oil Pressure / Oil Temperature" (no mention of EMI-3K whatsoever).

So, even if you (from the often conflicting or incomplete manuals) figure out what switches to push and when, you still have little or no understanding of why you do that, and you would surely agree this is a poor way of flying an airplane, isn't it?

So, would you please consider expanding the manual to briefly explain what each control does?

Despite the problems and the expectations of everyone I wanted to add that the An2 simulation is a joy and is of a high caliber. I was particularly anxious for it to get released and have been very happy to buy and use it. I have still not been able to use another aircraft since it has been released because not only it is a very challenging aircraft it has (as someone mentioned) tons of character. So I want to applaud Aerosoft and Octopus G for making the project possible. I am sure all the snags will be sorted out soon meanwhile I’m at work and anxious to commute home and get done with my family obligations and get back in the An 2 cockpit. A big Danke(Spasiba) to Aerosoft and Octopus G. 

In order to help more friends understand and fly an-2, I shot a video, including cold, dark, taxi, takeoff, downwind, base, finel, landing, parking process. Has been posted to youtube, video is very simple, not too much language, only every step of the operation. If according to my operation, from cold and dark to take off is no problem.
I used to be an-2 before, but I think it's pretty good. Aerosoft has reworked the project to a certain extent, and I believe that although it is a Russian aircraft, the Russian aircraft are also non-stop The progress of development, many new equipment are gradually installed and put into use.
With its wide field of vision and good maneuverability, the an-2 is a good choice for VFR flights. Later, I will make more videos about as an-2, hoping to drive more people to fly an- 2, also hope AS can see.

Please login to display this image.

• Developer

Did a trip from Salzburg to Innsbruck with a visit around the Zugspitze (highest mountain in Germany) in spring weather. Ceiling 3000m and flying max altitude was 3300 m, which is challenging for the passengers and the plane, but fully okay if you climb and descent slowly. Anyhow the AN-2 does everything slowly...

Szenery is ORBX Germany South and LOWI. Aircraft is SP-ASR located at my home airport.

• 1 year later...

Does the Anna come with an option for English cockpit labels, or at least variants that feature an English cockpit?

(I liked the Wilga coming with an English cockpit with the US skin... that variant was without the ADF sadly)

Archived