Sound of the AN-2

MikeFlight

I'm happy to finally have an AN2 for the P3Dv4 again. However, I find the engine sound a bit thin and quiet inside. Can anything be refinished there? It lacks this typical strong sound and above all a bit more bass. Outside, the sound is completely okay.

Happy landings, Michael

Same here. If you watch real world cockpit videos you hear and feel the big radial. In the sim cockpit sound is flat and nearly no bass. Outside ok as mentioned but we fly from cockpit view ;). And the open window no sound change is not up to date for a current payware release. Overall the model looks really good and systems nicely modelled. But immersion lost because of sound. You have to bleed out of your ears after half an hour max when flying the Anoushka...

Cheers

T.

Personally I think the engine noise is too weedy both internally and externally and doesn't convey the feeling of a big old radial engine well at all. Check the link below out, it is what a Shvetsov Ash-62 sounds like when it fires up, there's a really noticeable whine from the inertia flywheel and then a number of loud percussion cracks from the lower cylinders igniting the fuel and oil which has dripped down into them before it settles into an even firing sequence. The Aerosoft AN2 startup sounds nothing like this, and it should do because that's a big part of the aeroplane's character:

The sound inside seems to be heared with a noisecancelling headset:lol:

This link below shows the goal.

Sound Inside

My Solution:

I renamed an2_2.wav, an2_3.wav and an2_4.wav (i.e. with extension .old) and replaced them with a renamed copy of ean2_2.wav and so on.

So it sounds much more better.

• Aerosoft

The sounds are designed as heard with a headset on as that is how it will sound to a pilot.

The videos that I heard are not very good sources btw, most are done with smartphones where the minuscule mics always seems to merge sounds on top of each other. It is of course not too hard to make the sound as you believe it should sound but we are not sure that is the correct way to go. 

You are right Mathijs, but for a better immersion  a little bit louder would be well.

A second solution would be ... force your wife to shake your chair for better feeling:ph34r:

Thanks, you have done nice work with this lady, years i was waiting for such a implementation.

Two little things i've noticed, in the ASR livery the magn. compass has no texture and the aircraft.cfg has no word wrap so it's a little bit bad readable.

2 hours ago, vPilot said:

Thanks, you have done nice work with this lady, years i was waiting for such a implementation.

Two little things i've noticed, in the ASR livery the magn. compass has no texture and the aircraft.cfg has no word wrap so it's a little bit bad readable.

Thank you.

But, it's strange, because I've installed an-2 again with installer without fix and SP-ASR has magnetic compass texture.

Please login to display this image.

:grouprespect_s:

It works.

Additional: In case of the aircraft.cfg, with wordpad all is ok, the issue is with the ordinary win-editor. I've fixed it for myself with copy and paste.

9 hours ago, OctopusG said:

We have plans to improve the sounds. I think we will make it in update.

That's really good news - had held off because of the sound, but now I'll be happy to jump in.

As I posted yesterday on another forum - in the sim, the most authentic sound sometimes isn't the best sound, because we have to count on the sound to provide sensations that the sim can't otherwise deliver, like vibration and harshness.  In the A2A GA aircraft, where they give you the option of using headphones, I often go without them.  In the real aircraft, of course I'd use them to protect my hearing.  But in the sim, I need the louder sound to give me the sense that I'm in a small, roaring, unstable contraption.  Another example - the excellent PMDG DC-6 has a completely authentic touchdown sound, which means it's barely audible, because in the real aircraft, you can't hear the wheel strike over the sound of the engines.  The problem is, though, that in the sim there's no physical vibration, which means you can't quite tell when you're on the ground.  So an inaccurate, slightly louder sound would be helpful.  

For all those reasons... looking forward to an updated An-2 that rattles more of my teeth... B)

I understand Mathijs.

I am using a headset for ATC, and with the current headset volume am barely hearing any sound, so I, and most simmers prefer the higher volume. It is easier to turn the volume on the speakers/headset down, then to get them turning it up, if the source volume is this low.

Just my two cents. 

Other than that, I am enjoying this old baby a lot.

18 hours ago, airservices said:

I copied the sounds from my other AN-2 (no name will be given) and they work perfect

Hmm, I might give that a try till Aerosoft makes up. their mind.

• 1 month later...

Are there any news about the sound? I was reinstalling the AN-2 today and I think its sounds the same as in december.

I would prefer the sound like sitting in the cockpit without a headset. When I fly the AN-2 and have my Soundsystem with subwoofer connected it sounds very very flat. A2A (I think) has a good solution for the sound: You can plug in a virtual headset into the headset output in the cockpit and the sound changes to the "flat" version.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It has been a while, so I am just wondering what the status of the upcoming update is. And will the sound set be adjusted?

I am loving this airplane. But am eagerly awaiting a possible sound update.

Archived