New York Airports XP Navaid Issue

dt.k

I recently purchased the following two scenery packages by Drzewiecki

• New York City XP
  • New York Airports XP

I've managed to install both packages. However, the New York Airports XP package has an additional step in the installation process where you have to edit the earth_nav.dat file that is located in the X Plane 11/Resources/default data/ directory to add the navaids for the airports. The documentation for the install reads as follows:

Now the scenery is installed, but we still need to add new navaids. Open the file located in X Plane 11/Resources/default data/ folder with a text editor. This is a list of all active navaids in the sim. Search and remove all lines which contain any of the following words: "KJFK", "KENNEDY", "KLGA", "LA GUARDIA", "KCDW", "KTEB", "TETERBORO", "KEWR", "NEWARK" and "LINDEN". Leave the earth_nav.dat file open.

Now copy all the lines from the NEW_NAVAIDS.txt file located in the *.ZIP file, where you have found this manual, into the very end of the earth_nav.dat list, just above "99". It then displays a screenshot of what your file should look like.

The problem I am having is, once I edit this file and run X Plane 11, I get the following error message:

Loading navigational data failed:

Reading file X Plane 11/Resources/default data/earth_nav.dat. The navaid NXX in NDB is missing an entry. Report to your Navdata provider.

Please note that X-Plane 11 is not compatible with navdata files made for X-Plane 10.

X-Plane 11 then quits.

Does anyone know how i can fix this issue?

The installation documentation states that this product is compatible with Laminar Research X-Plane 10 and X-Plane 11.

I'm currently running X-Plane 11 on a 2017 iMac.

If you made no mistake while editing your file, this should still work, as the format of these lines hasn't changed since XP10. Make sure you did not accidentally delete too much, or have empty lines in it, or accidentally inserted unwanted typos etc.

(Although it's not good that DD suggests to edit the default nav data, as these get overwritten every time you update X-Plane, albeit with a warning). The better way is to install custom navdata by NavDataPro or Navigraph.

Archived