2 questions about the crj

wmu66

Helo everybody!

My name is Mark and I have bought the crj a few weeks ago, and I have 2 questions. My first question is this:

this happened to me on all of my flights but here is an example route. I was flying from LHBP to EDDM with the CRJ900. I had 4000kg of fuel, 500kg of cargo, and around 70 passengers on board. My cruise altitude was FL320, and my problem was that it was almost impossible getting to the cruising level. I could only climb with 500 Fpm or less while maintaining 260 knots indicated. The throttel was in climb setting and anti ice was on. Is this normal, do you guys know any tricks to climb more efficiently? My 2nd question is about the reverser. Before landing I have armed the reversers. After touching down I holded down F2 to decrease throttle, after slowing down to 60 knots I have increased the throttle just a little bit so that the reversers turn off. But the problem is that even after stoping and vacating the runway and disarming the reversers, they were still out. 

Thanks in advance for your answears.

Bye Mark!

PS: sry for my english

Hello Mark,

Enabled Anti Ice has a huge impact on CRJ climb performance. I disable Anti Ice during winter conditions normally above FL150 but latest at FL200. It is of course depending of weather situation.

Short over ground (~20ft->10ft) moving throttles back to idle, at ground push F2, below 80kts push F1, no moving of throttles required, engines thrust goes back to idle and reversers move back in normal position.

Wolfgang

WWMU66, good question, and to add to good info Hoffie3000 has stated.  

Anti ice egime bleed for cowls and wings take considerable power out the engines.  Obverve the drop in N1 when they come on and it is the same in RW... great modeling.  

Interesting is  cowl is only needed in in the air when visible moisture present and if SAT (Saturated Air Temp) is above -39C and TAT (Total Air Temp) bellow 10C.  Great job was done to model/display these temperatures in the CRJ and these numbers can be viewed in the 2nd row of information in the MFDs.

Interesting are the wing anti are the same temperature range only if airspeed BELOW 230kts.    Above 230 kts they are not needed (unless below).    

It looks like outside these parameters, it is not likely ice accumulates.     

The only exception to this is if the ice detector detects ice and displays in AMBER in a crew allert system.  Then both come on until.

What this means in practical terms is at the altitudes your are having power issues for further climb the SAT in most cases is below -39C (no Cowls) and if not, you are likely above 230kts (so no wings).  

So correct procedure used in RW is to keep turning on and off the cowl and wing as needed when going through visible moisture (like cloud layers) if needed according to above parameters and not leave them on the entire time.   What gets left on the entire time is probe heat and window heat (if OAT is less than 30C).   

Great flying... 

Best regards.    

Archived