Help.... we got an installer issue

• Aerosoft

I need some advise.

We are doing the installer for the An-2 and we are using the new 'install out of the sim' option for the 64 bit version. But the moment the installer allows people to install outside the \Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder we run into issues. No matter what we do, it does not seem to be 100% reliable on all systems. We identified issues on Russian, Korean and Arabic versions of windows. Issues that seem to be confirmed by other companies who use this kind of installers.

So I got three options:

1. Use the standard simObjects folders, works fine, people know where to look for the add-on etc
  2. Use the default \Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder. 100% safe, but some people might like the aircraft to be somewhere else
  3. Take the risk and get a lot of unhappy customers who are not running a UK, US, GER, FRE etc windows.

For option 2 we could offer the advise on how to move the add-on.

Suggestions?

• Deputy Sheriffs

Play safe and use option 1. People who want to have it somewhere else can still do it like they would do it in option 2. Option 3 would be unacceptable for my understanding of quality. 

• Deputy Sheriffs

TBH I would prefer an option that follows the LM philosophy and works perfect if the installer handles it correctly:

The installer gives you the option where put the addon files, but the add-on. xml is placed in the by LM suggested folder.

Works perfectly for me at the moment and allows users to put addon files elsewhere in case their sim SSD is getting to small. Also upgrading the sim is much easier.

• Aerosoft

Fully agreed, but if P3D has issues with certain charactersets it simply will not work.

Keep in mind that while almost all our friends make add-ons with an English only installer and only offer support in English we simply have to support all languages.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I have to vote for option 1 as well. There's bound to be issues with every choice, but option 1 provides the fewest support issues.

Having gone through the P3D 4.0 to 4.1 update by replacing the Client and Content folders only, I had zero problems losing add-ons. I suspect most do "dot" upgrades that way, so they won't be affected by the "classic" approach.

Archived