Eruption in Bali and the RTW80 tour

DaveLTB

I got to work this morning and saw the news about the Volcano and the threatened eruption of Mount Agung on the island of Bali. 
It struck me that if I hadn't made this RTW80 trip it would have just been another "oh dear" moment. But having made a detour and flown in the simulator quite close to Mt. Agung, this piece of news was suddenly much more interesting.

It was as if I had actually been there.

Apart from the increase in flying skills, this voyage has really been worthwhile to do and actually fly in real time. (The only "cheating" has been putting the aircraft onto unsupervised autopilot for the long stretches because, believe it or not,  I actually need to get some real life work done B) )

Now I know a lot more about the location of this volcano, it's associated mountain lake, and the tremendous threat that a major eruption could cause to the town of Denpassar.

(I freely admit, I had never even heard of Denpassar until this RTW80 trip).

Please login to display this image.

Mt Agung a few months ago

Please login to display this image.

Mt Agung - Today 27th November 2017

Dave Britzius

(Cape Town)

Archived