Berlin Tegel Airport Future

CheapCharlie

I have been reading the news and read about the German vote concerning the closure of EDDT.  With the financial issues at Air Berlin and the outcome of the vote, will EDDT still close?  Is there is a possibility of EDDT staying open even after EDDB begins operations?

I think the people who have to decide this even don´t know what to do. But it´s a fact that the new airport will be too small, because the number of passengers increased during the time they need to built it. So it will be hard for Berlin if they would really close EDDT and open the new airport at the same time. 

Also, there were some news in the last week, that there are again some more issues with the terminal. It is being told, that they won´t open it until 2019-2021.

EDDT will be closed, the only question is when.

At this moment it's close to impossible to say what will happen to Tegel. Even if they vote to close it now BER does still not have the capacity needed to handle the amount of passengers expected in the next year. I can hardly imagine they would really close TXL in the closer future, unless they build a new terminal at BER (but heck, they still even haven't finished the original one, let along building and finishing a new one).

Archived