Sparkling scenery

gsumner

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I think I encounter the same effects as Graham. It is small structures that seem to flicker (sparkle is an even better description) from the distance. I have made a screenshot at Skiathos. The white dots in the lines of the masts is the frozen "sparkling" I see from a distance. I think it has to do with screen resolution and antialiasing (and transparency, maybe). This "sparkling" also appears with lights at night in the distance. 8 x SSAA cures it for me, but we all know the impact it has, esp. with dynamic lights ON. (P3D 4.1 with GTX 970, 2560 x 1080).

If that's not what the OP is encountering - disregard.

Best wishes

Tom

Please login to display this image.

This is what I am experiencing exactly. Would be impossible to screen shot as the white dots disappear to quickly. 

Perhaps you could suggest the setting your are using when you don't see this problem so we can try them

Graham 

Graham:

These are the settings where I don't see "sparkling". 8 x SSAA is not my daily setting though as the GTX 970 struggles with such high Anti Aliasing. I use 4 x MSAA and live with the "sparkling" - for now. Someday soon a new rig is due. 2560 x 1080 is the native resolution of my 34" display btw.

Please login to display this image.

• Aerosoft

Is this not the same effect we have with all lines that are thinner then one pixel on the screen? It's a problem with the rendering engine (or rather a limitation).  Apart from just hiding the objects and make them pop up when close I doubt there is a lot that can be done about it. Will ask the project manager to inform about it though.

Mathijs,

it might well be that this is the effect you described. Although unknown to me until now it would explain why some airports are more prone to it than others - it would be simply because the developers didn't care much to set the visibilty range for tiny objects like antennas, masts etc. as they don't have a large impact on performance. Nevertheless the effect is diminished with the highest AA setting - at least for me.

I am seeing this sparkling from areas where there are no lines. Perhaps i am seeing lamp posts thinner than 1 pixel. I can use the suggestion above and get rid of them but at a high frame rate loss.

Mathijs is there a suggested set of graphic settings for Aerosoft scenery that can be used as a benchmark so we can see if these problems are actual problems or just limitations.

Thanks

Graham

Archived