PFPX is not reading correct wind data from Active Sky

On 1/18/2019 at 6:13 PM, VHOJT said:

Interesting post!

I only ever use Activesky for flights in the past or when flying a flight that is really out of whack with my timezone - for example, I don't like flying Singapore-London and arriving in London with live weather with what is supposed to be an ealry morning arrival, and the temperature being 25 degrees when I land at 5am.

I have submitted a support ticket, but have not heard back.

How will your project work?

Cheers,

Rudy

At the current stage, it basically takes your route and generates AS wind data of the oceanic portion for PFPX to use. You will have to complete many actions manually, but that could be improved in the future.

Its effectiveness in improving flight plan fuel precision for PMDG aircraft is tested & true.

Best,

Marin

On 1/26/2019 at 1:43 PM, M.Yang said:

At the current stage, it basically takes your route and generates AS wind data of the oceanic portion for PFPX to use. You will have to complete many actions manually, but that could be improved in the future.

Its effectiveness in improving flight plan fuel precision for PMDG aircraft is tested & true.

Best,

Marin

Sounds good!

Is there any way to get this program?

Cheers

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2019 at 1:43 PM, M.Yang said:

Best,

Marin

Any news on this, Marin?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 6:17 AM, VHOJT said:

Hi Marin, unfortunately cannot reach you at that email address.  It says the email address is no longer receiving emails.

I'm sorry, the email address should be

EoFirmament@gmail.com

Send an email, and I will provide a beta version for you to try.

• 1 year later...

I also can confim this issue (as started in the topic).

The wind data from PFPX and AS16 are different within the NAT area, here my data:

At FL390

Waypoint          AS16 (V. 7542)        PFPX (V.1.28)

DOGAL               256/76                   271/50
5520N                239/63                  260/21
5630N                247/31                  337/04
5640N               300/37                  292/29
5550N                293/64                 287/43
BUDAR               298/135                287/109

I´m doing some LR flights in Learjet 35, its very important that the values are more or less correct ( irl there are also differences, but not that bad), otherwise I have some big issues to arrive at my destination, when I´m low on fuel.

So if PFPX is getting the data from AS16, why does they aren´t they used by PFPX? I mean, all wind data are available, right? They should only match, or least in the area of them.

Is there meanwhile (this topic is quite old) any solution available, or considert to be solved with future updates?

13 hours ago, jackjones said:

I mean, all wind data are available, right?

No, not from the current_weather_snapshot.txt.

Whilst AS maybe reasonable for short/regional planning the best solution for longhaul is PFPX online weather.

Well this might be correct for the planning, but at the end I´m flying with the wind data from AS and not with the data from PFPX, right.

I´m wondering what this "current_weather_snapshot.txt" is about and why it is so "limited" in data?
There must be any data stored, which enables PFPX to plan with the saved wind data and of course PFPX needs to interpolate some points, but the results shouldn´t be that far apart from each other.

I´m asking myself: Is this due to a limitation of data provided by AS, or maybe a calculation/interpretation error with PFPX ?

AS made a change quite some time back and introduced the ability for API calls to obtain point data, this is not implemented in PFPX.

Also the current_weather_snapshot.txt does not return a forecast over time.

For realtime planning/flying the most accurate option is using PFPX online weather, you will find the AS injection then closely matches the OFP entries, even on longhaul.

• 1 year later...

I suppose I should revive this topic one last time since this issue is obviously still unresolved and especially given the current development status of PFPX.

Since I first posted about the issue in 2017, there have been plenty of shrugging it off and pointing fingers going on in this post. Meanwhile we (a well established long-haul flight operations organization in flightsim) have developed and shared a small program as the fix for the problem. User feedbacks show it is able to achieve a great level of precision for flights over oceanic and remote regions.

Going forward, the best and quickest way to obtain this program (free of charge) is probably via our discord: https://discord.gg/DmJUrhQjzP. Please just let us know you need it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived