PFPX freezes at start

Hi!,

When I try to open PFPX, the main screen appears, while the startup screen remains saying "Initializing weather". But when I click on the main screen I get the windows message saying that the program does not respond.

I have the Windows 10 Pro 64 bits FALLS CREATORS UPDATE... before this update all worked fine.

Thanks in advance for your help

Only this:

PFPX. exe, version 1.2.8.9, stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the troubleshooting history in the Security and Maintenance section of the Control Panel.
 Process identifier: 24b0
 Start time: 01d34d86ee98f246
 Finishing time: 25
 Application Path: C: Aerosoft® Professional Flight Planner X\PFPX. exe
 Report identifier: 0d879b45-660c-4f7d-b4b3-c421bafa9bd1
 Full package name with errors: 
 Relative application identifier of the package with errors: 

Thanks for your answer.

I've tryed all what the topic says, following strictly the clear instructions, and nothing has changed except that the splash window finsih it's work after the message "Initializing interface", but the interface hangs and I can't do nothing except closing it when Windows show the message that "Professional Flight Planner X does not respond"...

• Deputy Sheriffs

Gerard, please report back in here about the ongoing of the case. I could imagine that it will be of interest for a couple of users (including me ;)).

Hello,

we have similar reports with earlier hotfixes and was solved with the following steps... maybe you could give it a try:

"Initializing weather" issue ... Did you already try to delete the temp folder? 

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\PFPX Data\Temp

"Initializing interface" Issue ... Right click "Run as Administrator". Set up to permanently run as administrator.

best regards 

Judith

On 26/10/2017 at 6:21 PM, Tom A320 said:

Gerard, please report back in here about the ongoing of the case. I could imagine that it will be of interest for a couple of users (including me ;)).

Of course, Tom, take it for granted ;)

2 hours ago, FlightSimSoft.com said:

Hello,

we have similar reports with earlier hotfixes and was solved with the following steps... maybe you could give it a try:

"Initializing weather" issue ... Did you already try to delete the temp folder? 

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\PFPX Data\Temp

"Initializing interface" Issue ... Right click "Run as Administrator". Set up to permanently run as administrator.

best regards 

Judith

Hi Judith,

Thanks for your answer. I've tryed to delete the temp folder but nothing changes. I use the 1.28.9i Hotfix.

After the tryal, the folder is created again, but no file is added into it, and the splash window continue showing the "Initializing weather...". The main program's window opens, and can see the flights, but freezed.

After the uninstallation and reinstallation that I made yesterday, I can see that the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x86) was installed, but not the x64, despite I have Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (I installed from the full 1.28 installation program and then applied the 1.28.9i Hotfix)

Waiting for a solution...

Best regards,

17 minutes ago, Tom A320 said:

Gerard, have you also given the "run as administrator" a try?

Of course, Tom, I ever run all my apps as administrator, thanks for the suggestion :)

On 26/10/2017 at 6:21 PM, Tom A320 said:

Hi Tom,

As promised I'll explain how I solved it, even if it was by chance.

Testing with version 1.28 and 1.28.9i, I renamed the PFPX. exe file of version 1.28.9i as PFPX1. exe

After trying reinstalling everything, upgrading to v1.28.9i and seeing that nothing could solve the problem, I accidentally double-clicked on the copy of 1.28.9i and things changed:

First, surprisingly, he asked me again for the serial number. Once I introduced it, he warned me that he had already installed the application three times in the last 180 days (this concerns me for future installations).

Once the configuration process was finished (as if it had never been installed) it worked!!

But I am intrigued that if I make an exact copy of the PFPX1. exe as PFPX. exe and run the latter, the problem is still there.

So, in short, if we rename the executable with any name other than PFPX, it will work. Sounds a little strange but at least I can use it again. I hope someone will explain to me why this has happened suddenly and if something needs to be done to restore normalcy, or better to leave it at that.

Greetings and thanks, especially to Judith from FlightSimSoft, who has been there all the time suggesting things, and if it wasn't for her suggestions, perhaps what has ended up being a temporary solution wouldn't have happened.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Gerard,

thanks for the feedback! First of all I am glad to hear that your PFPX is running as it should (although it need this strange workaround).

Maybe the program derives some folder and registry names from the EXE file name. That would be the only reason I could think of. Thinking about it, FlightSimSoft might have implemented this behaviour for testing purpose (it would be easy to get a complete fresh installation by doing it this way). If so, the problem on your machine (with the original PFPX.exe file name) must be in some data on your HD or the registry. 

Judith or Christian should be able to confirm my theory.

• 2 months later...

I have a problem similar to Gerardius's, although in my case PFPX works, but it took more than a minute to launch it, and it's responding very slowly.

Almost every action (creating and compiling a flight, opening any window, saving flight plan, printing OFP, etc.) took about 10 seconds (and even more if my CPU is already busy with running the sim). It feels like I'm trying to run PFPX on a 486 processor.

I've tried it with multiple versions (including the latest 1.28.9i hotfix). I have the latest VC redist packages (including 14.0.24215) and carefully read Tom's troubleshooting FAQ. PFPX was snappy and good on Windows 8.1 and on a earlier versions of Windows 10 (before Fall Creators update, I think). I've tried to reinstall PFXP from scratch a couple of times, and did a clean reinstall of Windows 10 once, but the problem is still here.

Hello,

could you please attempt some trials...

- run in compatibility mode

- delete the temp files (weather) before reinstalling

- clear all registry entries (Hkey_current user/Software/FSSGmbH) before reinstalling

Sounds as it is a different problem, Gerardius's issue might result of a Win 10 Fall creators update - (freezing issue vs. slowly respond)

Best regards, Judith

• 9 months later...

Hi All,

I am experiencing this problem now as well, freezing while "loading weather". Not sure what happened. I tried deleting the registry key as mentioned in this thread and it allowed PFPX to fully open (prompted for the serial key again). However, I closed PFPX and tried to run it again and the same issue occurred. I do run this as an administrator.

Chris Lezama

Archived