Preview: Aerosoft Twin Otter

• Aerosoft
What's the general waiting period between release as a D/L and release on a CD/DVD ROM?

Could be up to a month and up to 5 Euro. And normally we have some updates that are done in the production period, so to get the last models you might need to download something. In this aircraft the gauges are almost all included in the MDL's (the 3d models) so any update would mean large downloads.

I am not fully sure we have decided to do this one boxed btw. Could very well be, depends a bit on how the major distributors react.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aerosoft

As it's nearing completion : Does it include such a paint?

Would be nice :D

Thanks!

For sure the paints do not really look new, but I often find the rusty textures look not very well, if you dull down a surface you loose a lot of the 3d. We have a full paint kit for this one, so it certainly could be done.

The dome and panel lights were on in the previous pictures of mine, the shots below are with the dome light turned off.

Great, that's looking really nice. Looks like night flights are going to be fun too :) Thanks Nick.

Mathjis, would you be able to pick up on one of my earlier posts?

Also, is there any chance that the engine instrument needles could behave a bit more realistically i.e. left and right indications are not identical and more importantly, you actually have to look at them from time to time to spot engine problems early. Without this, I find the engine instruments are little more than eye candy. What do you say Aerosoft?!

Looking forward to 1 Feb :D

Just been looking at the attention to detail in the Ski version, you know I have to say that FS9 has not been quite as active in the last few days :D

Incredible detail - well done Aerosoft. Do you reckon they'll flex on landing?

• Aerosoft
Also, is there any chance that the engine instrument needles could behave a bit more realistically i.e. left and right indications are not identical and more importantly, you actually have to look at them from time to time to spot engine problems early. Without this, I find the engine instruments are little more than eye candy. What do you say Aerosoft?!

Okay, you mean that on a real aircraft the indications would be a bit less 'perfect' then they are in FS?

I see where you are going. First of all, the Twotter is build fully to FSX standards so all the faults and defects will be modeled correctly. So in that way they gauges will respond correct (I just had an oil problem and I did not see the oil temp rise and the oil pressure drop in time). But to get back to the question... it would be real easy, but I can assure you most customers would complain the instruments are buggy.

Hi Mathjis, thanks for the quick reply. That's interesting to hear that it would be fairly easy to add in a 'real world' element to engine readouts. Is it feasible (perhaps not at this late stage) to add that possibility to an aircraft configurator so that users could choose from FSX perfection or real world variations in the readouts?

Although having this real world feel would be great, what would really make it perfect is engine management simulation, like the excellent Do-27. If you firewall the throttles for too long, the engines overheat, or over rev the props and you get engine damage etc. Is this something which is modelled or would be a feasible addition - again, I guess too late for the initial release?

Thanks again.

Cheers, PPanPan

Could be up to a month and up to 5 Euro. And normally we have some updates that are done in the production period, so to get the last models you might need to download something. In this aircraft the gauges are almost all included in the MDL's (the 3d models) so any update would mean large downloads.

I am not fully sure we have decided to do this one boxed btw. Could very well be, depends a bit on how the major distributors react.

Thanks, I'll probably D/L it. Personally I like a boxed product with a little install/starter manual, easier to keep track of.

I just noticed the availability of a backup CD for a few Euros extra when I purchase the D/L, while not a boxed version it's still a good thing to have.

• Aerosoft
Hi Mathjis, thanks for the quick reply. That's interesting to hear that it would be fairly easy to add in a 'real world' element to engine readouts. Is it feasible (perhaps not at this late stage) to add that possibility to an aircraft configurator so that users could choose from FSX perfection or real world variations in the readouts?

Although having this real world feel would be great, what would really make it perfect is engine management simulation, like the excellent Do-27. If you firewall the throttles for too long, the engines overheat, or over rev the props and you get engine damage etc. Is this something which is modelled or would be a feasible addition - again, I guess too late for the initial release?

Thanks again.

Cheers, PPanPan

No such an engine model is just not planned for this aircraft. DA (who done the Do) and our internal team work for a different kind of customer. They go very deep into the systems and have realism as the highest aim. We got for 'usability', so we try to select simpler aircraft, offer a lot of variety and as little pitfalls for the user to get stuck in. As in normal operation the pilot would never get into these problems we don;t feel it takes out a lot of the realism. And of course t most people seriously underestimate the FSX failure model, it is actually pretty good.

I'll talk to the gauge guy about making the gauges a bit less realistic, got some ideas.

Hi, interesting thread and the pics from the Twin Otter are very good! Right now I think about buying German Airfields 1 and I wonder if the "Twotter" would be a plane to simulate passenger flights from island to island? Is it possible to operate it on the runways of these islands? So far I have no such plane in FSX and think it would be nice to fly.

Hi, interesting thread and the pics from the Twin Otter are very good! Right now I think about buying German Airfields 1 and I wonder if the "Twotter" would be a plane to simulate passenger flights from island to island? Is it possible to operate it on the runways of these islands? So far I have no such plane in FSX and think it would be nice to fly.

I picked up Island Hopping and Hegoland in anticipation of the Twotter....

Sounds great. Wasn't sure if the "Twotter" is too big for these small airfields. I already have Helgoland and think Island Hopping fits well :)

Looking forward to the release of the Twotter. So long will fly with the Beaver. Hope there will be a german livery for it soon.

No such an engine model is just not planned for this aircraft. DA (who done the Do) and our internal team work for a different kind of customer. They go very deep into the systems and have realism as the highest aim. We got for 'usability', so we try to select simpler aircraft, offer a lot of variety and as little pitfalls for the user to get stuck in. As in normal operation the pilot would never get into these problems we don;t feel it takes out a lot of the realism. And of course t most people seriously underestimate the FSX failure model, it is actually pretty good.

I'll talk to the gauge guy about making the gauges a bit less realistic, got some ideas.

Thanks Mathjis for listening and taking the time to explain Aerosoft's design ethos. There are so many types of 'simmers' out there that you have an impossible task trying to please us all (!) but I do understand where you are coming from. I actually think an engine model as described can be fun without being too serious/detailed - but hey, that's just my view!

I will revisit the FSX failure model - I am one of those people who probably has underestimated it. Do you think your gauge guy can also make engine instruments react more realistically to FSX modelled failures/impending failures, or is it just the "less than perfect" feel he is looking at? Sorry if I ask too much!!

Cheers

PPanPan