Are OOMs really gone with V4?

DLHAirbus321

...and from which point on is a system ready to run it in all it's beauty?

These are only two of the hundreds of questions I'm constantly asking myself since V4 is out. Usually when new software is published I'm on hold for a fair amount of time watching it from a good distance and doing research about it. Honestly, being not wealthy at all, I sometimes have to do this to avoid "wasting" money on things I possibly can't run, afterwards.

With V4 nothing went the way I was used to. I changed from FSX to P3DV3 in March 2017 and was very pleased with the results of this change. Then a month later or so V4 was announced and everyone went "Wow, lets take down V3, V4 rules!!!". Virtually everyone changed immediately and what I totally understand, never looked back to 32bit times anymore. But not only users changed, most of the companoes did. They decided very fast to start producing stuff exclusively for V4. Except for me being cautious and sitting in my corner waiting for the right moment to get it. I will change to V4 gor sure. I don't now yet when I'll be ready, but it's only a matter of time. To be clear, I'm sure V4 is the future and V3 is ancient by now, but what do you think about that?

I'd be interested in your opinions on that matter and would like to discuss about that. Thanks for your support in advance.

All the best,

Nicolas

My PC specs: 

Intel Core Haswell i5 4670K Quad @ 3,40GHz

Palit GTX1050Ti Stormx, 4GB

12 GB RAM

• Aerosoft

V4 rules. It is simply better in every possible aspect. From framerates to memory management. Apart from the fact we are still hard at work updating files there simply is not aspect where is not preferable. 

Of course it is still possible to get an OOM, but you will have to work really hard to get that. Really hard.

vor 15 Stunden , Mathijs Kok sagte:

V4 rules. It is simply better in every possible aspect. From framerates to memory management. Apart from the fact we are still hard at work updating files there simply is not aspect where is not preferable. 

Of course it is still possible to get an OOM, but you will have to work really hard to get that. Really hard.

Good Morning and thank you for your answer. I totally agree with you. As I mentioned, whst reslly keeps me from buying is the fact that I'm not sure that it will work fine on my system...

Kind regards,

Nicolas

• Deputy Sheriffs
35 minutes ago, DLHAirbus321 said:

Good Morning and thank you for your answer. I totally agree with you. As I mentioned, whst reslly keeps me from buying is the fact that I'm not sure that it will work fine on my system...

Kind regards,

Nicolas

This question should be relatively easy to answer: compared to your current v3 the v4 will run better, as it is able to use all the resources of your system and not just some of them.

If in the end your resources will keep you from OOMs time will tell, as it depends on all the add-ons you load into the sim. As with the 4GB limit of v3 you will of course also be able to fill up your system up to the installed physical limit. But this problem can easily be solved by adding more RAM to your system. 

Add-ons will for sure become more demanding from now on as now "the sky is the limit", and not the 4GB limitation any more. But that doesn't happen over night.

Hello and sorry for the typos in my last post:lol:.

Thank you for your answers. 

@phlpeo: You're pointing out my doubts. Since one week I'm more or less proud owner of the GTX1050Ti with "only" 4GB. Upgrading my current DDR3 RAM is not at all a problem, but atm I'm simply not willing to upgrade my GPU, since this means upgrading virtually everything of my PC. Mainboard, CPU, power supply, new DDR4 RAM etc. Thank you for taking part in the discussion I started :).

@Tom A320: Thank you for your answer, too. Your first point (using the whole system and not only parts) to me is the biggest plus I can see. Thank you for encouraging me. Of course it's never possible to say if everything will work fine, without giving it a try. Let's see what the improvements of V4.1 will bring. And, I agree with you, sky's now the limit, but no miracles in software development will happen over night.

But, there's one question left, I would like to ask all of you: Would you say that i should abandon all my doubts and finally give it a try?

Kind regards,

Nicolas

Just adding to Toms answer: A year ago you could get a refund for P3D within 60 days of purchase. I'm not 100% sure if they still offer this option, but I wouldn't know why they should have abandoned it.

Perhaps consider checking the P3D website if it still exists and if it does just get P3D, try it and if it doesn't run you can still refund.

But as said: I'm not 100% up to date on this option anymore, so they may have abandoned it. Just check Lockheeds website to find out.

vor 5 Minuten, Emanuel Hagen sagte:

Just adding to Toms answer: A year ago you could get a refund for P3D within 60 days of purchase. I'm not 100% sure if they still offer this option, but I wouldn't know why they should have abandoned it.

Perhaps consider checking the P3D website if it still exists and if it does just get P3D, try it and if it doesn't run you can still refund.

But as said: I'm not 100% up to date on this option anymore, so they may have abandoned it. Just check Lockheeds website to find out.

Wow, thank you for the hint. I've heard of that option with V3 and I'll definitely check on that and give it a try:).

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2017 at 18:29, Mathijs Kok sagte:

Just go for it. Go for the best and the best is P3D V4.1 right now.

Hi,

Has been quite a long time since I last checked back on to the forum, had quite a tough time during the last weeks. I need to make one thing clear now:

Got P3D V4 two days ago, added some of my stuff, got hands on it and instantly forgot everything about what happened before V4 :D.

Seriously, this is not only next level...this is a REVOLUTION in flight simulation! Thanks for being so supportive and appreciative with all my questions. As for now everything works great on my system, however, looking forward to grade some things up within the next months.

All the best to you and, of course, keep up the great work. Can't wait to give that next level busses a try :D.

Thank you again!

Sincerely yours

Nicolas

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2017 at 9:33 PM, DLHAirbus321 said:

Hi,

Has been quite a long time since I last checked back on to the forum, had quite a tough time during the last weeks. I need to make one thing clear now:

Got P3D V4 two days ago, added some of my stuff, got hands on it and instantly forgot everything about what happened before V4 :D.

Seriously, this is not only next level...this is a REVOLUTION in flight simulation! Thanks for being so supportive and appreciative with all my questions. As for now everything works great on my system, however, looking forward to grade some things up within the next months.

All the best to you and, of course, keep up the great work. Can't wait to give that next level busses a try :D.

Thank you again!

Sincerely yours

Nicolas

Good decision and for you to know about the VAS thing:

• 32 bit = 4, 294, 967, 295 bytes (4 Gigabytes)

• 64 bit = 18, 446, 744, 073, 709, 551, 616 (16 Exabytes)

Have fun with getting a OOM not caused by your hardware :))

I still get some OOMs but it is only after I change airports and/or aircraft 3 or 4 times.  So it is certainly still possible, but nothing like before.

And as you have already discussed in this thread, this might be a function of my video card with is a 980 or something with 3 or 4 GB -- upgrading that to something new and modern, I am sure, will have a major positive effect.

2 minutes ago, Ripcord said:

I still get some OOMs but it is only after I change airports and/or aircraft 3 or 4 times.  So it is certainly still possible, but nothing like before.

That is literally impossible. With the current addons, even if you have all available addons installed and loaded at the same time, P3Dv4 simply can't run out of memory.

Your operating system of course still can. I presently have 10GB RAM installed and never OOM'ed though, despite using lots of high end addons at the same time.

If you only have some 6 or 8GB you might of course still run out of physical memory available in your computer. This can be avoided by installing more memory though. 32GB and you should really not see issues anymore.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:47 AM, Tom A320 said:

Add-ons will for sure become more demanding from now on as now "the sky is the limit", and not the 4GB limitation any more. But that doesn't happen over night.

Great point, Tom.  I had wondered about that.  I hope that our time here in V2, V3 and V4 co-existing alongside FSX will have taught the scenery developers enough valuable lessons in managing resources that they will not simply abandon them and throw all discretion to the wind.

5 minutes ago, Emanuel Hagen said:

That is literally impossible. With the current addons, even if you have all available addons installed and loaded at the same time, P3Dv4 simply can't run out of memory.

Your operating system of course still can. I presently have 10GB RAM installed and never OOM'ed though, despite using lots of high end addons at the same time.

If you only have some 6 or 8GB you might of course still run out of physical memory available in your computer. This can be avoided by installing more memory though. 32GB and you should really not see issues anymore.

I have 16GB installed.  

Might be that I have too many other things running at the same time.

Or it might be that the sim crashes not due to OOM but something else.

Just now, Ripcord said:

I have 16GB installed.  

Might be that I have too many other things running at the same time.

Which message do you get though?
Do you really get the "Your simulator has run out of available memory" message which you got so often in FSX or earlier P3D versions?

I tend to say that I also run lots of programs parallel to my simulator and even though having only 10GB at present I do not get such messages. You must run a LOT of stuff.

I will need to take a look, Emi.  Usually it just says it is shutting down... don't recall the exact wording.  I'll find that appcrash program and look it up and report.  You might be right, it might well be something else entirely, and not OOM.

Just now, Ripcord said:

I will need to take a look, Emi.  Usually it just says it is shutting down... don't recall the exact wording.  I'll find that appcrash program and look it up and report.  You might be right, it might well be something else entirely, and not OOM.

Very likely these are "normal" crash to desktops then and not out of memories.

OOMs should be gone for a very long time with the 64bit technology as Henrik already listed above. Of course CTD's can still happen. That's a different thing, even though the endresult looks the same for the user. It's just the cause of the crash that is different.

Hi,

Good to see that an old thread of mine that seemed to be finished suddenly came to new life, with an interesting twist. Thank you for your answers. I wanted to contribute to that new twist by adding some things I experienced since flying with V4 during the last weeks.

On 17.12.2017 at 11:53, Ripcord sagte:

And as you have already discussed in this thread, this might be a function of my video card with is a 980 or something with 3 or 4 GB -- upgrading that to something new and modern, I am sure, will have a major positive effect.

On 17.12.2017 at 12:09, Emanuel Hagen sagte:

Very likely these are "normal" crash to desktops then and not out of memories.

OOMs should be gone for a very long time with the 64bit technology as Henrik already listed above. Of course CTD's can still happen. That's a different thing, even though the endresult looks the same for the user. It's just the cause of the crash that is different.

I was experiencing severe issues with my system since last summer. Since I went for V4 everything is fine until today. But, I'm still very cautious and completing a flight is still my highest goal each session.

However, some days ago I decided to give Drzewiecki's NYC V2 another try. It never worked properly with FSX or V3, so I wanted to check on that. So I went on a leg from KATL to KLGA (also Drzewiecki's) with PMDG's NGX. When I turned on to Hudson River and enjoyed the scenery the sim stopped working by saying "P3D doesn't work anymore". Not quite sure if this was a real OOM.

Despite some issues with some of my FlyTampa airports I haven't got any other CTDs or crashes since using V4.

Any ideas about that? I would by curious about what you think about that.

Thanks in advance!

Yours sincerely

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas, 

I use P3D V4.1 since it's release in May/June (32 GB RAM, MSI GTX 1080, Windows 7-64 Pro). I never had a system so stable before, but I also went into trouble sometimes: 

Flytampa - flying into Athens with Dynamic Lights on and at Down or Dusk ends with "P3D stopped working" - so "DL" allways off. 

One month ago, I decided to give FSDT-Airports and GSX a try again in P3D V4.1, despite I had to remove their airports and GSX from FS2004 and also FSX before  - allways after a few weeks and on different PC's with different Windows versions, thanks to the famous couatl-Engine and Addon-manager.

A few days ago, my P3D got unstable with PMDG 737NG just on final approach at every airport (... stopped working and I landed on the desktop with no message), my thoughts were "voilà, the good old FSX days with OOMs a back finallly". But I found out, if you have GSX installed, just remove it and everything is fine again. FSDT New York V2 together with Drzewiecki's New York runs fine, but GSX killed my P3D V4 and I had to remove it completely. Now my sim is stable again. Hope that helps. 

Best wishes

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

Thank you for your answer. Now that's one hell of a discovery, I'd never have blamed GSX for producing errors like those. Yeah, coautl sucks somehow and I can't thank Flightbeam enough for dropping it. Despite the fact that FSDT found a IMO pretty good way for keeping GSX up to date, I'm curious when they'll finally be dropping their engine, too:lol:.

"Dynamic light" seems to be a technique so new that the devs need to learn getting used to it. On my end FlyTampa's Vienna crashed always as well as Athens. That's a pity but I'll try to avoid those destinations (as hard as it is for me as an Austrian citizen) for the time being until FT comes up with a new patch or (hopefully) a complete rebuild.

What actually makes me wonder is the fact that GSX and airports by FSDT have been produced by the same dev, so usually they should work together nicely ...

Well, I'm definitely giving it a try and unistall GSX and am curious to see what's gonna happen. I'm going to report back about what happened, of course. That's a pity, too, since flying without ground handling looks pretty dull to me (oh, how spoiled we became over the years:lol:). 

Best wishes and thanks again

Nicolas

• Aerosoft

While Dynamic lights certainly cause performance issues, working with them is so basic there is not a lot to learn for developers. We have never seen it as the cause for any crash.

I am surprised that people find the P3d V4 so unstable.  Now my system is always very clear with few add-ons, but I literally can't remember when the sim crashed for any other reason then one of our own products in development. And I have P3d in the startup folder of windows. It runs on average 65 hours a week on my system.

Archived