EGLL P3d V4 papi and poor night lights

ridgey

Hi all,

Just landing 27R and the papi's are very misaligned with the ils glideslope. Memory says that bang on the glide shows 4 reds.

Also, can we look into the flood spot lights. I have the dynamic lighting turned lower in the egll config, but these halo's are extremely unpleasant (top right of pic)

Please login to display this image.

• Deputy Sheriffs
4 hours ago, ridgey said:

Just landing 27R and the papi's are very misaligned with the ils glideslope. Memory says that bang on the glide shows 4 reds.

Your memory is a little off. On a two box (VASI) system, on glide path is one white and one red. On a four box (PAPI) system, on glide path is two whites and two reds. On either one, all red is way low. 

For a PAPI, three red and a white is slightly low, one red and three white is slightly high, and four whites is very high.

However worth remembering that the PAPIs are calibrated for an eypoint of a pilot in an airliner.  A pilot in a Cessna q7w will end up about ten feet under the runwaqy if he comes in on two reds two whites.

• Deputy Sheriffs

The eye is at the same place "On glide path" regardless of the size of the aircraft because it's the eye that's following the glide path. The distance the eye is above the landing gear is what affects the touchdown location, but since a 3 degree glide path/glide slope is set up to cross the threshold at about 50 feet above ground, you'll touch down safely no matter how big or little the iron you're flying. So I beg to differ on your opinion on what would happen if a Cessna pilot followed the PAPI glide path. Several thousand hours instructing in them IRL convinces me you're misinformed. As a matter of fact, in the US at airports in certain controlled airspace, pilots are required to fly an altitude at or above the visual approach slope indicator except for normal bracketing (See 14 CFR 91.129 here).

This link to the UK CAA Visual Aids Handbook, starting at Chapter 1, page 4, provides additional info.

• Deputy Sheriffs

With regard to your light question. someone else will hopefully chime in. The only thing I can think of is perhaps something in your lighting settings. Do we get the same overexposed look in pole mounted lights at other airports?

6 hours ago, Herman said:

Your memory is a little off. On a two box (VASI) system, on glide path is one white and one red. On a four box (PAPI) system, on glide path is two whites and two reds. On either one, all red is way low. 

For a PAPI, three red and a white is slightly low, one red and three white is slightly high, and four whites is very high.

Herman, with all due respect I think you've misunderstood my post. I'm saying there is a bug in the software, I fully understand how papis work : -) 

There is a misalignment between visual papis and glideslope. 

Regarding the lights. It seems to be a feature of a number of aerosoft products. I even made a recent post about Mahon, I was told that that scenery was not recompiled for v4 and that's why the lights are poor. Looks like that advice is not correct as it's here too

• Deputy Sheriffs

Since I don't have this airport, someone who does will need to weigh in on whether, while on the ILS glide slope for 27R, the PAPI lights show two whites and two reds. That's the correct indication. Your initial post stated, "Memory says that bang on the glide shows 4 reds." I took that to mean you were expecting 4 reds while on the ILS glide slope. If by your statement, your memory of flying on the glideslope was that you saw "4 reds," then yes, that should not be.

42 minutes ago, Herman said:

Since I don't have this airport, someone who does will need to weigh in on whether, while on the ILS glide slope for 27R, the PAPI lights show two whites and two reds. That's the correct indication. Your initial post stated, "Memory says that bang on the glide shows 4 reds." I took that to mean you were expecting 4 reds while on the ILS glide slope. If by your statement, your memory of flying on the glideslope was that you saw "4 reds," then yes, that should not be.

It was referring to my memory of just doing the flight and writing the forum post.

Kind regards,

Alex

• Deputy Sheriffs

Thanks for the clarification that you weren't getting the right PAPI display. Let's see if anyone else picks up and shares what they see.

• Developer

About the "Halos" when using HDR:

At first I have to explain how the HDR (High Dynamic Range) function works: It´s a little bit like shifting the contrast and gamma correction
at the same time in Photoshop for a picture. What happens is that all dark parts will get darker and all bright parts and midlle tones will get much brighter. That
is what happens with the floot light texture. Using HDR will totally increase the contrast of the effect texture to maximum, specially when using a too high HDR brightness of 1.3.
So what can be done from a developer point: The only thing could be to reduce brightness in the texture which will make it unusable for NON HDR users, because it will be too dark. Ending up in different texture sets is not really what I prefere.Therfore we have added the function in the config tool to disable the Light effects (The glow at the poles). When you disable dynamic lightning than your AC appears dark like in your screenshot.

In short: Please switch off the effects or reduce HDR to seomething normal like 1 or 1.1 or don´t use HDR at all.

About the PAPI: Will get into that when Oliver is back from vacation next week.

On 11/10/2017 at 7:12 PM, Autopiloth said:

About the "Halos" when using HDR:

At first I have to explain how the HDR (High Dynamic Range) function works: It´s a little bit like shifting the contrast and gamma correction
at the same time in Photoshop for a picture. What happens is that all dark parts will get darker and all bright parts and midlle tones will get much brighter. That
is what happens with the floot light texture. Using HDR will totally increase the contrast of the effect texture to maximum, specially when using a too high HDR brightness of 1.3.
So what can be done from a developer point: The only thing could be to reduce brightness in the texture which will make it unusable for NON HDR users, because it will be too dark. Ending up in different texture sets is not really what I prefere.Therfore we have added the function in the config tool to disable the Light effects (The glow at the poles). When you disable dynamic lightning than your AC appears dark like in your screenshot.

In short: Please switch off the effects or reduce HDR to seomething normal like 1 or 1.1 or don´t use HDR at all.

About the PAPI: Will get into that when Oliver is back from vacation next week.

Hi there, appreciate your response, but dynamic lighting is on in my sim. I don't think disabling HDR is the way to go as other developers don't have this issue.

Alex

15 minutes ago, Autopiloth said:

OK, got it. If you don´t want to disable the Lightpole Effects via config tool I´ll make a replacement texture to work with HDR on Monday.

Thorsten

Thorsten, you're a gentlemen, thank you. 

Archived