autoland with CRJ 700

Hi,

Unlike the PMDG T7, the CRJ 700 doesn't seem to tell you when you should reset your altitude when you start descending. My question is: how do you know when it's time for you to start your descent for an autoland. 

Another question: the FMC doesn't seem to indicate the speeds you're supposed to fly at, on the legs page after you've loaded your flightplan.

Thank you all for your always acurate answers.

MV121

The autoland of the CRJ currently is very much on the rough side. Hans Hartmann has to correct it ASAP. I have no idea how that could possibly have slipped past beta testing and Aerosoft quality assurance!   :rolleyes:

Seriously: The CRJ does not have autoland capability.   B)

Another question: the FMC doesn't seem to indicate the speeds you're supposed to fly at, on the legs page after you've loaded your flightplan.

There is not CI on the CRJ FMS that help to calculate that. So you have to do it on your own.

On the other hand, then FMS will help you by entering your desired speed for each flight phase (VNAV page).

It will also give the speed restrictions depending your route and procedures.

This is not a T7 :)

11 hours ago, mv121 said:

Hi,

Unlike the PMDG T7, the CRJ 700 doesn't seem to tell you when you should reset your altitude when you start descending. My question is: how do you know when it's time for you to start your descent for an autoland. 

Thank you all for your always acurate answers.

MV121

Hi, if you enter your desired altitude into your FMS plan, at the waypoint entry for speed/altitude, (right LSK's) then select dircto on the FMS, the dircto page will give you the target rate of descent. You may also enter your desired altitude in the dircto page.

Then descend with either speed hold or vertical speed select.

If not using ATC, then you can calculate TD by the 3 to 1 rule. For thirty thousand feet it's approximately 90 miles.  30000'/1000=30. 30*3=90.

The dir.to page is your guide.

Cheers.

David

As a side note, to DIR TO page also gives you a good approximation of what your descent rate should be between 2 waypoints. I don't know if real world CRJ pilots use this information, but I find it very useful to make sure I hit all my waypoints at the correct altitude.

11 hours ago, nealmac said:

As a side note, to DIR TO page also gives you a good approximation of what your descent rate should be between 2 waypoints. I don't know if real world CRJ pilots use this information, but I find it very useful to make sure I hit all my waypoints at the correct altitude.

Yes, it's a very useful FMC "page"!;)

You can even input altitude amendments on that page and instantly see what your rate of descent should be. If using ATC, it makes your workload easier!

Archived