Preview: Hughes H1 Racer

I see they had a very talented artist at work doing a lot of hard to do and artisticaly drawn weathering to the H1B control panel. I appreciate the skill and effort you put into making a control panel look weathered. I'd just like to point out that this is wildly innapropriate for the Hughes H1B Racer. If there was ever an aircraft defined by the phrase "not one speck of dust on the airplane" the Hughes H1B racer is it. I refuse to believe that the same people that polished the outside of the plane to gleaming silver would have let the inside of the plane look like it was attacked by a band of rabid moths. Are you telling me Howard Hughes couldn't afford a fresh coat of paint for the control panel?!? Can we please loose the weathering on the control panel, or at least make that an option? For this plane we would be looking at ways to make the control panel look more polished than anything we've ever seen before. Actually I'd be considering a optional non-historic state of the art HUD modern air racing control planel. That would be more in the spirit of the Hughes H1B than what the previews are showing me here. I hate it whan panel designers fall so in love with recreating every last widget on the control panel that they forget the primary purpose of the panel is to enable us to fly the plane.

BTW other good options for the H1B would be a CFS2/3 version assuming that Hughes had actually tried to make the military version he offered to the Airforce.

I'm delighted to see the H1B get the treatment it deserves, I just hope it gets the panels it deserves too.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm not mistaken tha gauge was configured and labeled in this way because of the great power and torque of this powerplant.

The "danger" label is on the lean side of the gauge because a too lean configuration could cause a vaporlock or worse, pistonlock! :shock:

In a racer, total loss of power is not a good thing, "Too low to the ground to try a restart, Too fast to atempt safe a landing, and Not enough altidude to bail out!" :cry:

I see they had a very talented artist at work doing a lot of hard to do and artisticaly drawn weathering to the H1B control panel. I appreciate the skill and effort you put into making a control panel look weathered. I'd just like to point out that this is wildly innapropriate for the Hughes H1B Racer. If there was ever an aircraft defined by the phrase "not one speck of dust on the airplane" the Hughes H1B racer is it. I refuse to believe that the same people that polished the outside of the plane to gleaming silver would have let the inside of the plane look like it was attacked by a band of rabid moths. Are you telling me Howard Hughes couldn't afford a fresh coat of paint for the control panel?!? Can we please loose the weathering on the control panel, or at least make that an option? For this plane we would be looking at ways to make the control panel look more polished than anything we've ever seen before. Actually I'd be considering a optional non-historic state of the art HUD modern air racing control planel. That would be more in the spirit of the Hughes H1B than what the previews are showing me here. I hate it whan panel designers fall so in love with recreating every last widget on the control panel that they forget the primary purpose of the panel is to enable us to fly the plane.

BTW other good options for the H1B would be a CFS2/3 version assuming that Hughes had actually tried to make the military version he offered to the Airforce.

I'm delighted to see the H1B get the treatment it deserves, I just hope it gets the panels it deserves too.

Point 1: Weathering: The panel version in the virtual cockpit is the condition we have also in reality. Most people go around the plane in NASM, but not have a chance to really see the cockpit due the high angle of -optical- attack. So I hope the attached image comes through.

The panel itself has gone through dozens of changes when the design was underway. There are empty drillings in the panel metal where before different gauges where. Hughes everytime wanted the most modern gauges, because a failure in the project was not allowable. In the beginning of the panel creation there was originally also no sperry gyro system. This area was cleared out of instruments and the whole center panel cover was flexed away and the gyro instruments put in. This all hapened in haste, because Hughes feared the competitors. So all was kept in secret till the months before he was sure, the the H-1 was far ahead of anything other.

Point 2: The polished outside. What you see there is a museum bird.

Some days ago I was in a museum for ralley-cars. Those cars where completely clean and blinking all over, due restauration. The same happend to the H-1. Do you see any area with exhaust dust? Do you

see dust at the tires, coming from gravel fields? That plane is not flying

anymore. It stands there for decades now, not rolling a centimeter fore and back. And so its easy to keep it clean. The original H-1 at it flying time

was very dirty around the exhaust openings at front, dusty in the gears

and also some of the lower rear part, some feet before the hori stab starts

there was dirt because of propwash, soil and other things. In the real world things are simply dirty and so for the external model a consens must be found how dirty, how shiny it should be.

Point 3: The Army version. Hughes had in the 30s no luck with the US-Army. There was interest for the long-range variant NX-258Y but

the Hughes Racer overflew the airfield where the general was waiting,

not landing at it. THe problem was, that Hughes not flew the plane back

himself, but a pilot of Hughes Aircraft Company who not knew that he

should land at the army airfield and show the plane to the high ranking officers. So the general had taken his best comrades and that pilot buddy simply ignored the important gentleman. So they thought he has no respect for them and canceled any other talk about implementation of the H-1 in the US Army Air Corps. This problems should continue through World War II.

Point 4: The visibility of the instruments in flight mode is very good, also

at zoom of .40, for a wider angle.

That weathering on the control panel is as the aircraft sits in the smithsonian today is it not? Was that really there when the plane was in service? It's been about 70 years after all.

You might want to include the panel from H1 Racer Serial number 2 (which unfortunatly crashed).

There's a photo of the panel (I think of the number 2) at the bottom of this page

http://www.wrightools.com/hughes/

It looks pretty clean.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the great skill you are showing in recreating the panel and I'm sure there are many people who want to see every paint chip copied. I really think the best plan is to include a few different panels.

A clever idea someone did for a Spitfire panel was to include a panel that simulated sticking your head out the window and looking down the side of the fuselage. I don't know if it was typical to stick your head out the window when taxing the H1.

A clever idea someone did for a Spitfire panel was to include a panel that simulated sticking your head out the window and looking down the side of the fuselage. I don't know if it was typical to stick your head out the window when taxing the H1.

Sure it was. But more to that topics in the common days. :D

The Cat's closer to being a warbird mate and it has two props :wink:

Yes but the Cat wasn't originally modeled as a warbird by Aerosoft - it was only with the community's "insistence" :P that Aerosoft decided to make a warbird model separate from the civilian ones.... :wink:

Very true but it still had the heritage :P

Edit: Have we entered into a pointless argument here Kofi? :D

Depends who's buying..... 8)

• Aerosoft

as soon as we figured a few things out we'll have details but let me just share a smal vid I just got by mail. Check out how detailed the animations are. Here you see the trim and even the chain is totally correct. What blew me away was the way the cable moves sideways as the chain vibrates.

http://www.aerosoft2.de/downloads/h1/ELEVA...M_MECHANICS.avi

That is just superb stuff!

If you look at that quality, you really see the progress of the graphics in FS! I really like the mechanic realism shown in the video, the chain even changes the distance to the wheel, just like real chains do a bit!

Congrats Aerosoft on this one, truly beautiful!

The vertical line between .08 and .18 is higher than the other and has no lettering. The .08 is red, could be the mixture he intended to use on his LA - NY flight.

The instrumend seems to be guild by Bendix Zubitrax Co Ltd, never heard of something like that.

Btw. this is the scale of a rotating gauge, like a compass, where the scale rotates on a vertical axis behind a round glass?