Preview: Hughes H1 Racer

• Aerosoft

Jump to the latest images: http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=73801#73801

The Hughes H1 was a rather amazing aircraft, not only the last privately funded aircraft holding a world air speed record, it also featured many technologies that decades later became standard. Flush rivets made the aluminum fuselage very smooth, the retractable gear reduced drag even further and coupled to a Pratt & Whitney R-1535 twin-row 14-cylinder radial engine of 25.2 liters with a shaft output of over 1000 hp it was an amazing aircraft for it's days.

For flightsimmers the superb detailing of the model and it's animations plus the rather special systems are the most attractive aspects of this new Aerosoft product created by Stefan Hoffmann. The engine management for example is totally different from what you are used to in modern aircraft. Of course we will include some race missions and will allow you to compare your results.

Release is expected this summer and the images shown below are from the last alpha release (so please note many details are still being worked on)

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This aircraft looks amazing, has it been easy to find acurate data for her?

I'm sure local residents would have been happier if Mr Hughes had taken a virtual model of this plane to the skies!

Have to agree with Nick here that realy does look like something special. One of the things I've always liked about Aerosoft they're not scared to try something a little different. I'm looking forward to trying to tame this beast.

A rather talented chap over at SOH "Bomber_12th" comments:

That is amazing! I never thought that the detail could be so high! I think I just found my new favorite flightsim airplane! The "new/different engine management" sounds interesting, if infact it is different than the ordinary management that is already present in every flightsim warbird or aircraft from that time period. As I am not a member of the Aerosoft forum, can anyone answer whether or not this will include both the short wing and long wing versions?

And now he can take the time to register :wink:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=48792

Wow! I think now its good time to remind Aviator movie!

Good choose for oldtimers! I cant wait for H-1! This year Aerosoft has a many project :D ...

• Aerosoft
A rather talented chap over at SOH "Bomber_12th" comments:

And now he can take the time to register :wink:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=48792

Both versions will be included. And the engine management is really strange in many ways. Look for example at a gauge bitmap included to this message (you need to be logged in to see it. Looking innocent, it holds a surprise. First to see it me gets 10 free AES credits!

• Aerosoft
Wow! I think now its good time to remind Aviator movie!

Good choose for oldtimers! I cant wait for H-1! This year Aerosoft has a many project :D ...

75 releases (boxed and/or online) scheduled for 2007, nobody else comes close.

Guest Souday

Both versions will be included. And the engine management is really strange in many ways. Look for example at a gauge bitmap included to this message (you need to be logged in to see it. Looking innocent, it holds a surprise. First to see it me gets 10 free AES credits!

Is it the danger? :P

The details are great. To be honest I did not know this aircraft up to now :oops:

Is it the scale? The intervall seems to change. Danger and Cruise "zone" are very close and it is 0.04-0.05-0.06-0.07-0.08 and then the power zone is 0.18. But then ... i was not very good in physics in school :D

Finally!

Now we're getting there - nuts and bolts can at last be recognised as such. Certainly a plane of historical significance and quite likely worth looking at these days.

However, I seem to recall reading that some model plans were rejected because the plane in question was only built in very few numbers. Wasn't this plane only ever built twice? Once in the thirties (and now in the Smithsonian) and once in recent years (c/n 2 built by the Wright family).

Nooo, it can't have been said on this site, surely not?

By the way, Mathijs, are you going to add the camera in the air scoop to assist landing? There's zero visibility for landing according to this snippet of info:

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/1739.htm

Hi

My guess is the left edge of the scale at 0.18 would mean a mixture so rich, that it significantly exceeds the igniting capability of the mixture, and it would not ignite. This happens generally anywhere above 0.125.

Very nice work! This addon looks extremely fascinating, and I look forward to flying it someday!

I dont usually post in the forum, just read the news, but this aircraft is extremely nice, and I coulnd't resist trying to figure out what the picture hides :lol:

A nice day to all.

• Aerosoft
Finally!

Now we're getting there - nuts and bolts can at last be recognised as such. Certainly a plane of historical significance and quite likely worth looking at these days.

However, I seem to recall reading that some model plans were rejected because the plane in question was only built in very few numbers. Wasn't this plane only ever built twice? Once in the thirties (and now in the Smithsonian) and once in recent years (c/n 2 built by the Wright family).

Nooo, it can't have been said on this site, surely not?

By the way, Mathijs, are you going to add the camera in the air scoop to assist landing? There's zero visibility for landing according to this snippet of info:

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/1739.htm

I am not sure exactly how many were build, but it was rare for sure as it was really build for just one thing, breaking records.

We are doing only the original version, the 'modern' one was a strange mix of old and new. To get some visibility forwards you will can use the original method of cranking up your seat (all fully functional in the VC). But you better start to get used to the zigzag way of taxiing so many tail wheel aircraft need.

• Aerosoft
Hi

My guess is the left edge of the scale at 0.18 would mean a mixture so rich, that it significantly exceeds the igniting capability of the mixture, and it would not ignite. This happens generally anywhere above 0.125.

A nice day to all.

No, none of the three explanations are good enough for me. While it is so obvious. I'll give it 24 more hours.

Weeell, I suppose that's alright then - I prefer tail draggers anyway :lol: And if worse comes to worst, I guess I can always use the external view off the fin tip. That really is the beauty of simming - you can be juat as real as you want.

"Check lists, what's a check list"

I may just get this one because it's been put together with "real" screws...

• Aerosoft
Weeell, I suppose that's alright then - I prefer tail draggers anyway :lol: And if worse comes to worst, I guess I can always use the external view off the fin tip. That really is the beauty of simming - you can be juat as real as you want.

"Check lists, what's a check list"

I may just get this one because it's been put together with "real" screws...

We'll define a viewpoint that is like you hanging out of the pit with your head. but it never will be easy. And that engine has HUGE torque that will try to kill you.

Looks really impressive, now we just need a Spruce Goose and a XF-11 to complete the "paranoid billionaire collector set".

As for the mixture, is the unique part the fact that the mixture setting is labeled in terms of the fuel/air ratio, with the "cruise" setting being significantly leaner than the stoichiometric mixture for gasoline (which is about 14.7 : 1 by weight) and the upper end of the power setting being richer than stoichiometric?

...of yesterday is not the same today. The Value of 14.7:1 is set for modern aircraft gasoline and engines, how you can read at Wikipedia. They values

MUST differ because what comes into the aircraft tank is not pure classical fuel. Fuel at the years of developement became enriched with additives, heptane, octane, detergents and oxygenators for more effective combustion.

The Hughes Racer was manufactured from 1934 to 1937 in its modifications short and long wing. Engines from that era and their gasoline are completely other realms than that we have today. The R-1535 could be used with gasoline lower than 100 octane, down to 91. But in high performance usage the 100 octane fuel was badly needed not to ruin the cylinders.

100 octane fuel in 1935 was like getting liquid gold. It was only delivered

in 5 gallon tanks, which meant for one tank fill you had to refill 56 of that

small canisters into the external fuelpump (Long range version). You see

what Hughes did was real abnormal, in a good and progressive sense.

So the AFR-gauge scale makes sense. A scale must not used to its

extremes.

The Hercules flying boat, should be made for a ship simulator. Her engines are just to tiny for that big aircraft. But it was

important to show, that she could fly. Not only for Hughes reputation.

• Aerosoft
Looks really impressive, now we just need a Spruce Goose and a XF-11 to complete the "paranoid billionaire collector set".

As for the mixture, is the unique part the fact that the mixture setting is labeled in terms of the fuel/air ratio, with the "cruise" setting being significantly leaner than the stoichiometric mixture for gasoline (which is about 14.7 : 1 by weight) and the upper end of the power setting being richer than stoichiometric?

So the strange thing is that 'danger' is at the .......

So the strange thing is that 'danger' is at the .......

Not sure, it doesn't seem terribly odd that the danger end of the scale is at the lean end of the mixture, since a lean mixture can lead to both reduced power and excess engine heating and detonation due to the lack of fuel cooling the cylinders.

man this thing looks awesome, i get this for sure,

Aerosoft Company is the the best flight sim company hands down, 75 releases in a year wow impressive!

and not only that, your aircrafts are just so detailed with many many features

all for a reasonable price,

it amazes me how Alphasim can sell there aircraft for much more money double in some cases and there features can't even come close to what you all offer here, especially the virtual cockpits, there VC's are a joke, although the models are OK,

Aerosoft 4 life, thanks for all the great work guys ;)

Ah....

Good to see Aerosoft moving just a wee bit closer to making a prop driven warbird :P 8) :D

The Cat's closer to being a warbird mate and it has two props :wink: