Rupert's in

rupert

Time's running out so we're finally to Paris!  Why did we go to Munich or Paris as they're out of the way?  It's along story!  That wasn't the plan!

So after spending the weekend in Munich and picking up Mae Ling,:huh:we heading out to Stuttgart EDDS to drop off Hans Markel, an old friend from my BMW days off there.  Then on to Baden-Baden EDTB to carry a few spare parts from BMW Dinglefing.  Finally the last part of the day was flying in to DeGaulle in Paris (KFPG)

The morning started out clear and 30F fighting a Wind from 238@8.  But by the time we approached EDTB it had turned much worse with snow.  We were afraid we might have to file IFR and spend the day in holding patterns!  Luckily by the time we left it had cleared off to just a lot of ground haze.  But definitely VFR weather.

So without further ado it was on to LFPG.  Total flight time 1.8 hours.  Distance traveled 365 miles.  Three flights.

Screen shots are EDDM to EDDS, Final EDDS, Taxi EDDS, Final EDTB in snow, Climb out EDTB, Final LFPG, and Taxi LFPG.

Rupert

Yes I see the one shot sticking in here.  Also the last shot (EDDM to EDDS) is the last shot,  How?  I don't know.  That's just how it turned out!!

Please login to display this image.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last Legs!  Today we crawl out of stinky Paris and return to London City Airport EGLC!!

One of my least liked things about winter is how you get fog lingering over a city!  It doesn't matter which city.  They all get very foul very quickly when you have a temperature inversion.

Our plans were to stay and do more touring in Paris today.  But with the fog you can't see anything.  Plus it's getting really "rotten egg" smelling!!  So we were ready to depart by noon. 

We caught another break.  There was a sea-tow crew going off duty in Ostend Belgium that were in a hurry to get back to Blighty by dark today.  So they put out a call on the charter network to see if anyone was flying there from Ostend.  We hadn't planned on going as far north as Ostend but hey, Charter For Four!!  That's What I'm Talking About!!

So we deaprted LFPG at 12:27 heading for Ostend (EBOS).  The weather was truly atrocious but we hoped it would improve near the water.  The wind was almost calm out of 239*.  Ground Visibility of 1/4 mile!!  But overcast clearing below 3,000'.  Temp. 54F and barometer of 30.05

Not long after popping out on top you could already see it was get much clearer near the water.  So we cancelled our IFR and refiled VFR into EBOS.  Where we landed at 13:00 after a direct 132 mile hop..

Our passengers were waiting on the tarmac, yes the can still do that in lots of countries outside the US.  So we quickly loaded up at 13:20. for the 85 mile trip to EGMC.

After making a couple of "Go Arounds" we got her on the ground at East End just before 16:00.  to find the weather much improved with a 262* wind at 5, 50 mile visibility, 44F, and 30.53" of mercury.

Departed EGMC at 16:20 for a 24 mile flight to London City, OUR LAST STOP IN THE RALLY!!  And the weather and views were "Picture Postcard" all the way home!!

Screen Shots are: French Fog at LFPG, Final to EBOS, A small Wind Farm, Final into EGMC, Cleared to take-off EGMC, Climbing out over the Thames,  And lastly On Final To EGLC!!;):P

Thanks for following our trip!!!

Rupert

Dammit!  I got so busy I missed your missive!  Maybe we can meet up with Lambert and help him find that Vintage Port Augustine has hidden.

Thanks so much for sponsoring this event!!  I didn't know starting out, if I'd have the energy to time to finish it.  But as always, when you enjoy something enough.  You will make the time!!

Rupert 

Hey buddy I thought I saw a Honda parked at London City. I continued on the Shoreham and drove back to the Pall Mall. Congratulations on your safe arrival and the successful tackling of all of this. See you in the club. Best wishes.

3 hours ago, kalizzi said:

Hey buddy I thought I saw a Honda parked at London City. I continued on the Shoreham and drove back to the Pall Mall. Congratulations on your safe arrival and the successful tackling of all of this. See you in the club. Best wishes.

Hey there!  Thanks for noticing we were there!!  As an old chopper guy who was washed up in the 60's when I coulnd't pass a flight physical, I'm thrilled to have been involved with this event!! 

It took over forty years to even think about dealing with my love of flying by simming!  RW I flew a few fixed wing trainers and R-4s (DC-3) and earned my Instrument Rating before I went to chopper training.  And I had a chopper flying friend, who like many of my chopper flying friends was killed in Vietnam, who was given a V-35 Beech Bonanza upon graduating from Cal. We spent hundreds of happy hours flying his Bonanza before he was killed and I was wounded so that I could no longer pass my flight physical. 

I have a V-35 Bonanza in my virtual hanger but I still haven't worked up the nerve to fly it without Chuck being there as well! 

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, whatever! 

Once again Thanks to Aerosoft for putting this rally on!!!!

Rupert

23 hours ago, rupert said:

Hey there!  Thanks for noticing we were there!!  As an old chopper guy who was washed up in the 60's when I coulnd't pass a flight physical, I'm thrilled to have been involved with this event!! 

It took over forty years to even think about dealing with my love of flying by simming!  RW I flew a few fixed wing trainers and R-4s (DC-3) and earned my Instrument Rating before I went to chopper training.  And I had a chopper flying friend, who like many of my chopper flying friends was killed in Vietnam, who was given a V-35 Beech Bonanza upon graduating from Cal. We spent hundreds of happy hours flying his Bonanza before he was killed and I was wounded so that I could no longer pass my flight physical. 

I have a V-35 Bonanza in my virtual hanger but I still haven't worked up the nerve to fly it without Chuck being there as well! 

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, whatever! 

Once again Thanks to Aerosoft for putting this rally on!!!!

Rupert

Rupert this is a poetic post. Loved it. Thank you for sharing.

On a totally different note: what about Lola? she is still looking for a job :lol:

21 hours ago, kalizzi said:

Rupert this is a poetic post. Loved it. Thank you for sharing.

On a totally different note: what about Lola? she is still looking for a job :lol:

I BET!!  Perhaps if I ever need a female body guard, I'll consider Lola.  But don't tell her that now!!  I really don't want her lurking around!!!!:o:o

57 minutes ago, rupert said:

I BET!!  Perhaps if I ever need a female body guard, I'll consider Lola.  But don't tell her that now!!  I really don't want her lurking around!!!!:o:o

You can play the Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner Bodyguard movie finale but in reverse! You pass out while she carries you in her arms :lol: :P

Thanks a lot Kalizzi!!  I probably won't sleep well at all tonight for fear Lola will carry me off in my sleep!!!!:unsure::o

And yes now that Beam was sold to Suntory, I can't say I'm surprised Beam does a British bottling.  Once when I was on their bottling floor the were bottling a very nice little bourbon to be sold under the Costco label in the US.  (Costco is a chain of "big box" groceries that will sell about anything from groceries, to cars, to booze, to weddings and funerals.)

Rupert

10 hours ago, harrry said:

Watch it......."Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets..."

Thanks Harry!!  I think Lola would have a time getting much of interest from me!!  A petrified man isn't normally very useful in some ways.:rolleyes:

Rupert

Archived