Rupert's in

rupert

I don't how many shots I can add so here's another few.  So after two days of looking at wonderful planes we'll hopefully get a good night's sleep in and start flying ourselves again tomorrow.  I got lucky another way as well.  Sue Ling and Ma Ling, she prefers that name to Mama San, decided to share a room together so we only need to rent two rooms per night for the rest of the trip.  Every penny saved is a huge help!!  Maybe we can skip worrying about getting charters tomorrow and just enjoy putting some miles down!

Rupert

Please login to display this image.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15 October10:00.  Just got the weather forecasts Clear Skies, wind 284* 41knts, 29.91#.  We need to get to Mumbai soon and the wind is blowing our way.  It's about 1,500 miles and we're in the Lear-Jet 45 again.  Topped the tanks up to 6,000# and we'll go high, hit the jet stream, & cruise.  One take-off and one landing, we hope!

Wheels up @10:20!  We'll climb up to about 20,000' and see where the must favorable winds are.

Found a nice cruise @23,500.'  There's no one anywhere near us on this route so we can pretty much choose any altitude that works best.  Leveled off @.63M we're showing between 380 & 392knts. SOG and stretching the fuel burn.

Approaching Mumbai their weather was much worse!  Visibility of two miles and wind out of 100*.  So we got an ILS approach to RW14 on 110.1 and proceeded down.  Around 14:00 we touched down and taxied to fuel.  Before refueling we still had 1,2070# left.  The low fuel lights had just come on during approach, but that's still a nice cushion to have had if we needed to go around.  So total time was 3.6 hrs VFR and .1 actual IFR.  So we shut her down and will consider what to do tomorrow.  Having that extra cash in hand made this long leg a lot more comfortable in one hop!!

16 October:

The most important decision a Captain can make is to STAY ON THE GROUND!!  Being stubborn isn't a good idea when you're traveling cross country!  ETC,

OK, I know that!  But hope, like foolishness, springs eternal!  Leaving Mumbai we had perfect sightseeing weather!  Wind 355@8, OAT 24C.  So we headed out to Daman excited as to what we might see.  Of course as we approached Daman it was pretty hazy, but we figured we'd land check the weather and continue.

Leaving Daman for Surate we saw some soup but were a good VFR on Top.  So we got down and continued towards Arangabad and while crossing the mountains it was clearing nicely!  At Arangabad the weather said our final destination for the day, Akola had clouds but they were expected to clear.  So we thought, despite Akola not having ILS it'd be fine by the time we got there. 

Wrong choice!  We traveled along far enough tat if we had to divert our fuel would be close.  But hey, all the weather reports were still saying it was clearing there.

However, when we requested a VFR approach to Akola denied it as they were now IFR!  So we got an IFR approach clearance into Akola but which ended in visual to 28!!  So we tuned the ADF and followed instructions to 28 with instructions to call when we had a visual of the runway.  Though it was pretty cloudy, we spotted the runway and called the visual, then changed to local frequency and announced we were on final.  Just about then a cloud rolled in and I was about to initiate a go around, probably followed by a "Divert To" when TBTG the cloud cleared and I was close enough to on-line to at least shoot the approach.  Sue Ling was prepared to assist if we had to do a last second wave off.  But we got her down and again, I really need to find a bar!  But again/ that's probably not going to happen in Akola India either!!

A light day today.  We'll fly only 150nm to Raipar (VARP) today and take it easy.  06:55 Takeoff to cruise at 4,000, IAS 315, SOG 332.  Weather is Wind 356@17, clear, OAT 19C, 29.91".

After landing at 07:50 we taxied to the tower.  At the tower we were asked to fly supplies into Bhilai in an already loaded Cessna Grand Caravan.  The pilot scheduled had a case of the "runs" and Bhilai was running very short on rice and also soap.

So at noon we took off in the Cesna for Bailai.  Weather holding about the same but with just a little haze from time ti time.  After a 21nm flight we landed and taxied up to their storage shed to unload.  At 13:00 we're ready to fly the return 21 miles back to Raipar.

While shooting an enlongated downwind to VARP we flew over downtown Raipur which is bigger than I realized.  Then stopped and caught a taxi to town for the night.

OK, I got a ferry hop to Calcutta!  This should bring in some cash and Sue Ling and Mae Ling will meet me there in the HondaJet.  It's not every day someone who isn't a M.D. flies in a Mooney Bravo!!  They like the Cirrus, are considered the Doctors' Buicks of the 21st Century.

Picked up the Mooney at VE62.  Climbed out to 3,500.  Set cruise with S.O.G. of 186knts.  UGH!!  I almost feel like I'm back in a chopper.

Dropped into VE60 to pick up the doctor who actually just bought the plane.  He's not certified on it yet but couldn't wait to get his hands on the yoke.  So we traveled at 2,500' while he got the feel of his plane.  There is a light mist but Kalaikonda still looks pretty good,

FINALLY made it near Calcutta (VECC) where the rain had been pretty heavy.  But we caught a break, the clouds backed off some and we could land without calling for an IFR approach!!  Can't wait to hand this Buick over!!  229 miles seemed like it took all day. :(  However, unlike many doctors, I did remember to put the gear down before both landings!!;)

Rupert

There's Sue Ling!  She and Mae Ling got here a lot sooner than us.  I'm hungry for a pizza!  But there's none close by.  We're told there is a good pizza joint within walking distance of VE31, a smaller airport also here in Kolkata.  The GPS says it's 10 miles away.  Se we'll make a $100 pizza run in the Honda.

After pizza we're set to return back to VECC for the night.  It's 21:38 local when we get cleared to depart.  Back at VECC we traveled 20 miles according to the GPS, but counting vectoring to runway 20 at VE31put .6 hrs. on the Watts Meter.

Rupert

21 October:

Beautiful time sightseeing!  Thre's a lot more to see here than we can stand.

Both the ladies had commented more than once how they'd always heard how pretty PARO BHUTAN is.  So, since we're days ahead of a mandatory schedule, we checked the maps and found Paro was only 850K North of whreE we were.  WHAT THE HECK LETS GO TO PARO!!!!

As is normal on a new and exciting plan, we were all busting out to get to Paro.  I hadn't shot that landing in Paro for years and thought it'd be fun to try and do it in one approach!  So we decided to take a short first step North today.  We'll fly the trip to Raighahi (VGRJ) tonight.  So we're off!! Wheels up at exactly 17:00 and it's already almost pitch black.  VGRJ is only 110 miles, so that'll be a hoot!  Then we can have dinner and spend the night there.  If nothing else is available, we can sleep in the plane.

Straight and level @3,500' indicating 320knts and a true SOG of 330.  This is a piece of cake.  Quickly approached VGRJ and received a right approach to 17.  Landed and parked, we're ready to find dinner!!  Shut down at 17:54 we'll record .9 night flying hours.

Included are a couple of night flying selfies.   Turn off some lights if it's hard to see.  These are night shots!!

Rupert

Let's do some more sightseeing first.  So leaving VGRJ We'll fly along the peaks for a while then turn to VEBD for lunch.  After lunch we'll vector to PRO to start our descent into PARO (VQPR)

24 October.

Broke away from Paro.  A good thing too!  Our legs have given out from all that climbing on foot to see the temples!!

08:50 Takeoff RW15.  The wind is calm so we need a valley to gain altitude before we turn west to Khatmandhu!!

09:40  Land at VNKT and will spend some time viewing the city then lunch.  After lunch we might, might, move on.

First shot is heading West @17,500.  I'd bet hat water's really clean!  Next we're feeling like we're really low, but we're at 19,500, so rather than climb even higher we'll go around that tall stuff.  The Last shot we're starting a long looping descent to VNKT which is only 4,300' or so!

After lunch we decided to taker the short, 125 mile hop to VNUT.  We weren't thrilled with the smell and appearance of the fuel at VKNT so we were hoping the fuel looked better here.  Fuel looked good so we changed the strainers and filled up.

22 minutes ago, rupert said:

After lunch we decided to taker the short, 125 mile hop to VNUT.  We weren't thrilled with the smell and appearance of the fuel at VKNT so we were hoping the fuel looked better here.  Fuel looked good so we changed the strainers and filled up.

Was it spice contamination with the fuel? You are obligated to report on the status of your gorgeous co-pilot (and your tentative mother in law mama sin too!) or you will be accused of narcissism.  -on a serious note, I enjoy reading your diary and wish you best of luck with the rest of the journey. Godspeed and hope to see you around.

19 hours ago, kalizzi said:

Was it spice contamination with the fuel? You are obligated to report on the status of your gorgeous co-pilot (and your tentative mother in law mama sin too!) or you will be accused of narcissism.  -on a serious note, I enjoy reading your diary and wish you best of luck with the rest of the journey. Godspeed and hope to see you around.

No, I think it was water!  But then again, it could have been something else?

As to Sue Ling and Mae Ling, we all get along famously and other than sore feet we're all holding up well.  But I have been assured, there's no "free milk from a cow" here! 

Thanks for writing!

We're doing a short day today.  Mae Ling wants to do some touring in Biratnagar Napel.  I'm hoping she'll leave Sue and I to our own devices for a whole!  So, as we both are hoping that, Sue suggested her mom fly right seat for awhile today.  That should make her happy!  And Sue can nap a little in the back. 

So Wheels up @0915 on a calm and clear day.  OAT is 26 and altimeter is 29.91,  In short perfect weather.We flew from VNUT to VGZR, VEAT & VGEG.  While on the ground at VGEG I asked Sue to sit in the right seat so I could take a break.Onward to VYPK, (Chittagoag) which is a pretty nice sized city.  I'd have like to spend some time there but Mae Ling really wanted to go to Biratnagar early enough to look around.  So we flew on to VYTO (Biratnagar) to overnight here.

I'll include a shot of crossing the mountains and parked by the tower.  Mae Ling and Sue, she was forced to go along as well, have just arrived and it's almost sunset.  (Best laid plans and all of that!)

BTW:  I just noticed the elevation when the mountains were approached was 8,500.'  I probably should have waited till we got into the range itself because at 17,500' we weren't clearing them highest ones by much.

Off to beautiful Mynamar (which we call Burma.)  First a stop in Taungoo and then on to Taktaailm.  Finally landed at Tak Thailand for the night.

26 October:  We're up and early here in Tak.  TBTG!! The Royal Thai Air Force has a fuel truck so we can top up to our full 1,815lbs. of fuel!  That'll more than give us a safety cushion for the 904nm flight to VHHX in Hong Kong. 

That airport is theoretically closed but since we're on the Around The World Tour they allowed us to land there and tour Hong Kong.  It's much closer to town than the new Hong Kong Airport.  However we'll have to stop in at the new airport to refuel.  They don't have services here anymore.

SORRY!!  I don't know what happened with these screenshots.  They appear here in exactly the opposite order from how I entered them!!??  So start at the bottom right and look towards the left and do the same thing on the top row as well.  I'm confused!  Rupert

27 October 09:50:  Today we're going to ZSNB (Nongbo China where we will spend the weekend. Mae Ling has a sister there and we'll stay with them.  (Frankly I think it's getting the family's buy in to the apparent beau!)

We found out last night that VHHX, (Old Hong Kong Intl.) where we over-nighted  didn't have jet fuel.  So we'll have to hop over to VHHH, the current international airport to top off for the trip 590 mile hop to ZSNB'

10:15:  Just topped up and we happened to notice there is what appears to be a hydro-electric discharge area right off the taxi area where the fuel pump sits.  So we took a shot of it.

10:30 Wheels up to ZSNB.  Then straight and level @14,500' with 315knts indicated actually making 379knts SOG.  As we cross the last of the mountains there's fog setting in.

13:00 We're in descent to ZNB and it's getting pretty hazy.  But we're still VFR.

13:45  Parking at ZSNB where we'll probably spend the whole weekend.:(

Wow!  I had forgotten how much the Japanese can drink!!  I used to think I could hold by drink, but not hot sake!!??

We finally got up and out.  Took off from Lishne @14:55 flying to ZSNJ.  Various stops and flights later we finally got too far from daylight to continue so we set down at FUKUE to overnight at 18:10.  A little over 3 hours and 782 miles.  A few screenies along the way:

The first two shots are of Shanghai, which frankly was even more amazing than I expected.  We made a top off stop for fuel at RKPC & that's the downwind shot you see here.  Then we approached FUKUE and finally the last shot is we're parking at FUKUE. 

Perhaps if we're up earlier tomorrow we can cover more ground.  I thought originally we might be well up into Russia by now.

All Hallows Eve:  Up and at-em early for a passenger hop!  At 07:50 we departed FUKUE for the short hop to RJDA. (Nagasaki) to pick up two passengers to ferry to RJFK (Kagoshima).  TBTG these passengers aren't kin to the Lings, so they will actually pay for the ride!

09:30:  Off to RJFK with our passengers being "entertained" By Mae Ling.  By noon we're down and having lunch at RJFK.  We'll try to get at least another, PAID, leg in before dark.

Screenies are Enroute to Nagasaki, Aprroach to RJFK, Final at RJFK & Parked for lunch and offload at RJFK. (KagoshimaP

All Hallows Eve Contd.

After lunch we flew to RHNK (Komatsu) where I have several friends from when I was buying equipment there for the automobile business in the US.  Then after swapping a few lies we continued on to RJTT (Haneda) near Tokyo.

Total flight time in the afternoon was 1.5 hours and 570 miles.

(I took three screenies enroute.  Sadly, I apparently didn't save them correctly!!??)  Sorry!!  Especially since I thought I had a couple of pretty nice shots crossing the mountains at 15,500'

Perhaps if we can get off early enough tomorrow morning I'll take a shot or two of the area.

I'd always rather be lucky than  good!!  I was thinking about doing a little sightseeing anyway.  Then a couple found us on internet.  They're getting married today and wanted to sponsor their parents for a sightseeing tour of the area.  So we loaded up four passengers while Mae Ling went shopping, on her buck TBTG!!  And took them on a 30 minute sight-seeing tour.  These photos are from that tour.

We did a fly-by then turned to look at the bay, etc.  Then we taxied in and the last shot is of Sue while we're taxiing back to the gate. 

After all the sightseeing it's time to put some miles down!  So at 12:05 we departed for Narita.  Then on to Sendai & finally Aomori.  We'll spend the night here before heading off to Russia.  I few screenies from the day.

The first is over the bay while lining up for final at Narita.  Mow we're over the bay heading for Sendai.  Enroute across the mountains at 7,500' to Aomori.  Finally, parked for the night at Aomori

2 November:

06:50 Take off from Aomori with winds from 274* @ 24.  The temp is 37F Pressure 29.90  Stops in RJCJ (Sapparo) then to refuel at RJEC (Asahikawa.)  Next stop UHPP (Petropaulousk Russia.)  Total distance traveled today was 1,044 miles.  And yes, it's starting to feel really cold for early November to this Kentucky boy!

Screens are taking off from RJJM, Haze over the water, Mountains near Sapparo, Taxing after refuel in in light rain in Asahiwawa.  Russian mountains.  Descending through the valley & lining up on final for UHPP (Petropaulousk)    

Hello Rupert,

Really a pity the way that FSX modelled the SE Asia. ILS are one thing but runways are even worse. I just went to HAI PHONG and no taxiway and no parking. I thought having a look at HALONG Bay, one of the most beautiful bay in the world and there nothing except flat little islands. Even with Global FTX it is not better.

I see that you went to PARO. Good choice and a lot of sweating during the last turn I suppose. However with the HONDAJET I think that the takeoff was a piece of cake. With the Bombardier Q400 you have to be quite light to meet the requirements in case of engine failure at take off. For few month I based the Q400 there and did a good bit of Kathmandu and some airports in the North of India as well. Now I fly most of the time to Corsica, South of France and North Spain.

This ATW trip is a very good idea and I enjoy it a lot. I see that you are quite ahead of the schedule and already in UHPP that I choosed as well to start the trip towards ANCHORAGE.

Good luck and see you,

JP

4 November,

I didn't make an entry yesterday.  But we spent the day sightseeing around the area of UPPH.  A guy there had just taken delivery of a Beech Baron 58 & asked if I'd fly right seat while he got used to the plane.  Hey, it's his fuel and air-frame time, we'll take that offer every day!!  I didn't take any screenies because he was flying and I didn't want to distract him. 

This morning we were up and out early because we wanted to make it to Dutch Island Alaska. So we did wheels up at 08:50 Heading to PASY (Shema Al.)  We intended to fly this leg at 8,500'.  But the turbulence was so bad we climbed out to 13,500', got a smoother ride and also picked up enough tail wind to have a SOG of 380knts while indicating 315!

Around 11:00 we got an emergency call to ask if we could pick up a passenger and doctor from ATU (CASCO COVE AL) and take them to the hospital facility at PASY.  So we touched down at ATU, taxied to the terminal, picked up the passengers, then took off to PASY at 11:45. (I had a couple of screenies from ATU but they disappeared in all the hustle and bustle.)  We touched down at PASY almost exactly noon.  Visibility at PASY was six miles so we swung around and came in on a ILS 28 approach and final.  As others have noted, THE ILS IN LIGHTER SIMMED AIRPORTS IS OFTEN AWFUL!!  ON FINAL I REALIZED THE ILS WOULD LAND ME AT AN ANGLE ABOUT HALF-WAY DOWN THE RUNWAY!  SO I HAD TO GO TO A MANUAL VISUAL APPROACH WHICH I COULD SEE AT THAT DISTANCE, BUT IT WASN'T FUN!  AND I WAS TOO BUSY FOR A SCREENIE.

We had lunch, refueled, etc. at PASY and took off @14:00 for the 695 mile flight to PADU. Around 17:00 it got dark and we discovered as pretty a full moon as I've seen in some time.  So I took one screenie at 12,500' and another at about 2,500' as we were coming around the rocks to turn to final at PADU.We touched down about 18:30.  And we're down for the night.

Screenies are all out of order from how I posted them for some reason!!  The first one shown is flying around the rocks near PADU @2,500.  Then Final at PADU, Taxi @PADU, PArked APADU, Outside @13,500', Full Moon around 17:30, Land HO to a US Island, 290 miles from PASY, "Good Bye Russia,"   This is the 2nsd time I've had this happen!!  Next time I'll just number them 1 through whatever.  The titles may be causing the problem?

I've gotten really spoiled by most of the scenery software I usually use!!  As others have mentioned some of this stuff, especially in Asia is pure junk!!

Rupert

Hello again, good headway you are making! If I had a gorgeous female co-pilot I would make it round the world in 800 days, what's the rush? I am currently on my way to UHPP (Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky) where I would most probably overnight. Any good hotel there that you would recommend?

Godspeed and best wishes. Cheers! :cheers_s: :lol: 

Hey KJalizzi,

Good to hear from you again!!

Perhaps you forgot, Mae Ling, or Mama San, is traveling with us!!?? :(:(

As to a hotel in Hong Kong,  I usually stay at the Bates Motel chain when traveling alone.  They have great shower stalls!:rolleyes:

On this trip, we're hitting a lot of the Ritz Carltons.  Mae (Mama San) Ling is getting all the frequent flyer miles.  She keeps saying, if she gets enough miles to travel by Emirates Air, she'll do that and leave us be.;)  Having said that, I don't expect to live long enough to amass enough flyer miles to even catch a Emirates Air hop across Europe.  Much less around the world!! :angry:

Rupert   

Archived