Rupert's in

rupert

OK, I'm going to give this eighty day thing a shot.  I'll start out flying the HondaJet, though I may change to other modern aircraft during the trip.  I like the the FSX Default Lear 45 and Grand Caravan, which both also use jet fuel as well.

With his permission, I am flying basically the same route as published by JoHubb.

London to Suez 7 days Oct 2-9

Suez to Bombay 13 days Oct 10-23

Bombay to Calcutta 3 days Oct 23-26

Calcutta to Hong Kong 13 days Oct 26-Nov 8

Hong Kong to Yokohama 6 days Nov 8-14

Yokohama to San Francisco, while passing the IDL, 22 days Nov 14-Dec 5

San Francisco to New York City 7 days Dec 5-12

New York to London 9 days Dec 12-21.

EGLC-LOWL, LHPP, LFSB, LGKO, HEPS, OKBK, OMDB, OPKC, VABB, VANP, VECC, VTPM, (Where I have arranged to get 3,000# of Jet Fuel from the Royal Thai Air Force.) VTPT (For another 3,000# of Fuel)  Then on to VTUD, VHHH, ZSWS, RJFK, RJTF, UHPP, PASY, PADU, PADQ, PAYA, CAW5, KOLM, KSFO, KSJC, KIKK, KASE, KLDJ, KEBM, CYYT, LPFL, LPLA, LPCS, LFBL, and finally back to EGLC.

RUPERT

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

02/10/2017:  Time to get our legs under us for this first leg.  A short hop (581nm) to Linz Austria.  My co-pilot is SueLing who I hadn't met before.  So it took a few minutes to discuss the trip and meet her mom (traveling in the cabin!!??)

@10:15 parked on the ramp @EGLC Loaded with the maximum of 2,400# of fuel, will probably quit tanking so much once we figure out burn rates.  The weather is hugely favorable with winds from 262* @ 21knts.  50 mile visibility with a slight have and temp of 18*C., barometer 29.91#.  Called for taxi to the main.

10:25 GMT: Wheels Up from 27 and start a slow left pass over the Dome.

10:30:  Turn to cruise direction for altitude 5,500' @300KIAS. 

10:40:  Straight and level 300KIAS, 352SOG, alt. 5,500.

11:00:  Encountered some fairly heavy turbulence from the North SOG is 340.

11:40:  Passing to the South near Nurrenberg SOG is down to 332.

11:50 100 miles out from LOWL hit light rain and barometer 29.97"

12:02:  Contact LOWL 27 miles out to land.  Approved Enter Right Traffic rnwy 27.  barometer 29.99, altitude 3,000'

12:13:  Touchdown on 27.

12:17: Approved Taxi To Stand.  Fuel aboard 1,200#

12:30: Taxi to fuel, again topped up at 2,400#

13:00  Shut down in parking area.

I will try to figure out how to insert shots from this leg.

Well, I got one sitting at EGLC.  Will have to figure how to load inflight screen shots!

Please login to display this image.

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME NIGHT FLYING??

Since Sue Ling's mother seems to be awake 24/7 we felt we could work out our frustrations by flying another leg at night.

So at 01:48Z we were ready to take off.

Our flight plan called for 212 NM @11,500.' The winds are calm with visibility of 20NM+, temp 13C, alt 30.02.  Pretty much as good as it ever gets!!  We took off with 23,560# of fuel.  I really need to cut back on my "tankage!!!!"

Traveling Course 117 and at 02:52 merge with 127* Radial.

02:26Z IAS 240 SOG 261 @alt 5400' Requeswt to land.

02:31 Approved approach to land 34@16 miles

02:35 Announce on downwind to 34

02:37 Gear down approach to 34 IAS 210

02:42 Announce on final 34

02:44 Touchdown on 34.  Fuel remaining 1980#.

02:48 Taxi to parking

1 hour ago, rupert said:

OK,

I just finished another leg.  I'll provide details tomorrow.;) Rupert

Well,

Not a lot on the telly so I'll go ahead and log in my LHPP-LBSF leg.  We're still in the HondaJet for these short runs especially.  Will probably change to the Lear Jet for some of the longer legs.

On 03/10/17 We're going 297NM @12,500' and a planned cruise speed of 300Knts IAS.  Weather Winds out of 212* @13-15.  Visibility 40 miles Temp 14C .

After startup and taxi to hold point for 15 we received takeoff clearance.  Sue Ling finished the pre-takeoff checklist.

15:01 Wheels up from 15.  Began the climb and turn to 127* and 12,000'

15:10 Leveled out and on course 12,000', 300knts IAS, 366Knts S.O.G.  OAT 9C

15.20  Straight and Level 300Knts IAS, 360Knts S.O.G. OAT 11C

15:30  Straight and Level 300Knts IAS, 368Knts S.O.G. OAT 12C

Sorry, I thought I could "Edit" and continue in that fashion.  So I'll continue with the post from LHPP-LBSF on 03/10/17 here.

15:40  Still S&L at 12,500' Weather is 295*@12knts, and Clear but pretty choppy.  IAS 300 SOG 364 with OAT of 13C

15:50 Started Descent currently @10,000' slowing to 250KPH IAS.   

15:52 on downwind approach to Runway 9 by turning to 155*  @6,600' 235Knts with SOG of 261

15:56 start turn to final.  Gear Down 200IAS at 9 miles out

15:57 Clear to Land 5 miles out @3,500' 200Knts

15:59 Touchdown Runway 9

16:01  Slowed and turning towards taxiway.

16:03 Clear of Runway request taxi to parking

16:14 Shutdown in parking area Watts Meter indicates 1:00 It was all day VFR.

Way too much Grappa last night!! My head still rings!!  Thankfully I have a fairly fast craft so perhaps I can make up a little mileage.

Here we are in Bulgaria!?? WTF??  Our primary purpose now is to get out of Dodge before the Local Yokels check out the contents of our baggage.

14:40 In parking area at Sofia we fire up for our next leg of 393 NM to LGKO.  We receive taxi clearance to Runway 9.  The weather winds from 270 @16.  Visibility 20+miles temp 16C.

14:55 At Runway 9 South departure approved!

15:10 Straight and Level @12,000' SOG: 320.  Just barely clearing the nearby mountains.  Vectoring to approach of LGKM

15:20 a touch and Go @LGKM Runway 14.

15:32 a touch and go @LGKV Runway 5L

16:00  LGLM to Land Rwy 4R. in Limnos to drop passengers at the gate.

16:15  Take Off LGLM from 4 Right turning South towards LGHI (110.8)

16:45 Shot a Touch and Go at LGHI RW-19.

Then S&L IAS 320, SOG 337 off to LghI. Winds are 300@10knts Skies Clear  IT'S ALREADY DUSK!!!

17:06 Touchdown @ LGKO!  Then parked at LGKO.  Watts Meter reading 2.3 Hours.  .1  hours Instrument and 5 landings.  

Well it's a pretty day here in Sofia.  But the horizon calls and the next leg takes me to one my favorite RW places.  The islands of Greece!  Kos, (LGKO) to be be precise.  And we have two paying passengers for one leg.  They're getting off at Limnos (LGLM).  So maybe that'll buy the fuel for today.

14:40  fired up in parking & taxi to Rnwy 9.  The weather is gorgeous Wind out of 016 @9, visibility 20+ nand temp of 16C.

14:55  Wheels up!

15:10  Straight and Level @12,000' and just clearing the mountains.  320 knts. Indicated

16:00  After a few sight-seeing jogs were on final to land on 4R at Limnos.

16:15  Dropped the passengers and now Wheels Up! from 4R

16:45  Wow!  It's already dusk!  It's amazing how fast the sun goes down in the fall at this latitude!

17:12  Parked @LGKO with 2.3 hours on the Watts, .1 of which was instrument.

We're a little ahead on our schedule, as planned.  We'll now have time to do some sigh-seeing here in Greece before we move on!!

Hello Rupert,

Regarding Paro, it is quite crazy to land there. I've got the scenery and I do not know how many flights in and out with the Q400 I attempted before to get it right.

Loosing an engine just after Vr, it is not possible to return and land safely with that aircraft. I know they use an ATR 42-300 besides the Airbuses and I am not sure it works for them if they do not limit themselves in T/O GW.

I heard that they leave the cockpit door open and passengers are welcome to the cockpit and when asked about possible terrorists they answer that they would be to scare to fly with them !!!

I did not know that the HonaJet was available for flight simulation.

Good luck,

JP

20 hours ago, jpgmultimodal said:

Hello Rupert,

Regarding Paro, it is quite crazy to land there. I've got the scenery and I do not know how many flights in and out with the Q400 I attempted before to get it right.

Loosing an engine just after Vr, it is not possible to return and land safely with that aircraft. I know they use an ATR 42-300 besides the Airbuses and I am not sure it works for them if they do not limit themselves in T/O GW.

I heard that they leave the cockpit door open and passengers are welcome to the cockpit and when asked about possible terrorists they answer that they would be to scare to fly with them !!!

I did not know that the HonaJet was available for flight simulation.

Good luck,

JP

Yes,

It's a sweet little hot rod!!  It comes complete with a hottie for co-pilot, stewardess, Mama San sitting in the passenger section, and all the bells and whistles you'd associate with a modern biz-jet.  There is a free download of the HondaJet on FlightSim.com i their download section.  I heartily recommend it & the price is right! ;)

Rupert

OK on 7 October I'm ready to fly the LGKO to HEPS leg of 418nms.  I've been doing some sight-seeing in the islands and was going to report on that.  But to make sure I'm covered while waiting for an official response, I'll list today's flight here.

Wheels up at noon!  RW-15 Wind 220* @25, Light clouds, vision over 40 nms, OAT 19C

12:15 Straight and Level @12,500' IAS 310knts, SOG 352knts.  Beautiful blue sea and almost no-one else out.

13:00  Begin descent to 2,500' and 250knts indicated.

13:05  Contacted HEPS ATC To Land.  Approve approach to RW 10.

13:10  Clear to Land RW 10.

13:18  Parked at Parking area at Port Said.  (HEPS

Total Watts Meter time 1.3hr. day VFR.

I FINALLY FIGURED OUT HOW TO POST SCREENSHOTS HERE!!!!  It's just like most other lincs????  I DON'T KNOW WHY i DIDN'T TRY BEORE NOW??:excl:

OK, I'm tired of hanging around HEPS.  I mean it doesn't take long to tour Port Said!!  having been to HEPS and done that I'll head out in the direction of Bombay via the pyramids.

The first thing to know about Pyramids is some really nice ones are in Giza, Egypt.  Or so the guidebook says so we're off to Cairo which is nearby.

First shot was near Port Said.  Then my co-pilot Sue Ling & on to the Giza Pyramids, you get the idea.  Since it's getting too dark to see anything we're off to Luxor (HELX) to refuel and spend the night.  Tomorrow we'll fly over the Valley Of The Kings and see if we can see anything there. 

BTW:  Did you notice that for pyramids3 they ehlpfully lifted the top of the pyramid so we could see inside!!?? how thoughtful is that!!

Final screen shot will be reueling at Luxor (HELX).  Along the way we also landed at HEAZ, HECA, HE12,HE37, Z10T, So for 09/10/17 we flew 1.3 hrs. day and .1hr. night or 1.4hr total all VFR.  I Love this little hot-rod!!

09 October After refueling and over-nighting in Luxor, it's off on a four stage flight to OETB in Tabuk Saudi-Arabia.  Nice weather but flying over desert and the Suez is about as boring as it gets.  Stop in HELX, HEGN, HESH.  Finally into Tabuk. Another 3.2 on the Watts.

10 October, getting ready to depart OETB around 13:00.  Will continue later.

10 October:

Today's leg is from Tabuk Saudi Arabia to Kuwait International.  It's a quick hop and we're flying a hot little bird so we do a little "sight seeing" along the way.

12:45 Wheels up from OETB heading to OESK. Well, on 2nd thought looking at that screen shot from outside the door. (See first screenshot.)  It might not be too "scenic" after all!  However, the weather is nice.  Wind out of 343* @9knts, Clear, 29.94."  with a OAT of 34C.At out indicated air speed of 315, we're showing 334 S.I.G. on the GPS.

13:25 Touchdown @ OESK.  While here we'll taxi over and "top up" the tanks. 

13:32 We're taxing to takeoff OERF.  Don't you just love how fast you can refuel with FSX!!??;)

14:04 We're shooting a Touch and Go at OERF. (See the screenshot.)  Then heading to OKDI.

En-route to OKDI there's quite a bit of turbulence.  We could probably change altitude but it's only a 206 mile hop, so it's not worth wasting the fuel.  It's now winds out of 311* &11.  But still clear so it's all good.

15:46 Touch and Go @ OKDI then it's another 22 miles to OKAS.

15:51 Touch and Go @OKAS.

16:00 Final touchdown of the day at OKBK Kuwait International.  We'll stop here and hope for a charter.  If not, we'll over night here.  (See Screen shots.)

Today we traveled on 633 miles and put 2.3 hrs on the clock.  Since we're running so well on time we'll try to do some charter work before we head to Dubai.

mspaint.exe

16 hours ago, kalizzi said:

Sue Ling for a co-pilot? don't get up to anything naughty now :P Lovely dairy, Godspeed my friend and see you (and Sue Ling) on the route :cheers_s:

Thanks!  I'm looking forward to a beer someplace!!  Sue Ling, she's a good hostess as well as copilot!   But Mama San rides in the cabin most of the time so it's pretty much "hands off!"

In fact, Mama San doesn't look too bad herself.  I little old form my taste, but not bad.

Rupert

mspaint.exe

What a strange day we had today! (WITH SOME PICTURES)

Always trying to make a buck we're shopping for charter work.  Last night we pent the night at Kuwait City Intl.  This morning a guy asked if we could ferry a Lear Jet to Bashrah.  As I'm current with the Lear 45, we agreed.  So I flew the Lear and Sue Ling flew the Honda Jet to pick me when we both landed in Bashrah. (ORMM)  The shots below were taken by Mama San while Sue Ling flew the Honda.

So after dropping the Lear Jet off at ORMM we headed across Iran.  We spent the day flying from place to place in search of people wanting to take a charter flight.  Sadly we didn't have any luck and finally shut down at Jam Iran OIBJ.  We did take a couple more pictures en route.  The first picture must made just as I waved off noticing that ZI68 had Xs on the runway.  I didn't see it listed as being closed!!!  The second shot was topping off at the refuel stand in Jam Iran.  We don't like to Tank A Lot, as we say in the states.  But as undependable as the airports listings are here, we're going to top up on a very regular basis.  I'm thrilled we weren't planning on refueling at ZI68!!!! 

At the end of the day we recorded 9 landings, 1 of which was me in the the Lear Jet.  We flew 630 miles in a total of 2.4 hours between the two planes.  We topped up the Honda in Jam and went in search of a bar. 

RULE 1:  DON'T ASK A COP IN IRAN WHERE TO FIND A BAR!!

What was I thinking?  A: I'm a US Citizen, B: Iran hates the US!!, C: Muslims don't admit they drink!!  So after much discussion and Mama San sweet talking the cop we were able to avoid being locked up!  No I won't ask where to find a bar in a Muslim country ever again!!!!

Much chastened we all went to bed early, in separate rooms.  So getting up this morning was unusually early and the sky seemed clearer than normal in the morning.  Our goal for today is to fly into various airports along a route towards Karachi.  With a little luck we might stumble upon a day or more of charter flights.  Worse case, we end upon in Karachi and have a day or two to hopefully fly out of there before proceeding to India.

Weather was great 307* @8knts., clear skies, OAT of 32C.  So we're off to OISL.  A 108nm trip.     Then on to OIZI, another 232 miles but noticed quite a bit of ground fog enroute.   Another 142 miles to OPJI.  And finally 293 miles to OPKC.

I remember yesterday saying we'd keep a real close watch and not run out of fuel.  Guess who forgot to check fuel???  Finally on the ground at OPKC after 3.2 hrs flying 777 miles we pulll up to the fuel pump with 260# of fuel indicated!!!!

RULE #2:  KEEP BETTER TABS ON FUEL IF YOU WANT TO STAY ALIVE!!

6 hours ago, PeSt said:

great diary :)

Thanks!  I'm new to this whole posting and following process, but I am trying!  And I am having a grand time with this trip!!

Rupert

Friday the 13th is supposed to be an unlucky day!  There are tons of rumors of bad things which might happen to anyone who wandered out today!  In my case both Sue Ling and her Mama San didn't want to fly anywhere today.  They both thought flying anywhere today would be a very bad choice.  But they both hinted if I chose to not fly today, I might get lucky myself! 

Now it's well after dark and I'm happy to say I never flew a minute today, in an airplane.  But I did get very very Lucky!!!!  :P;)

Rupert

Sorry for the suspense!  But small places like this film takes a while to get printed.  As I said, I did get very lucky!!  They took me to a static and in flight old plane show!!! Who'd a thought so many nice planes would fly in all the way out here.  I'll insert a few pictures here.

Archived