Capt. Lambert in Biplanes

Windswept

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Diary Entry #49: Ahmedabad

Roger slowly opened his left eye. He had a splitting headache.

He knew not where he was, other than 3 feet from his face was a pale hairless male leg.

He gradually regained enough consciousness to make out Lambert, still clad in his Swissair mini skirt hostesses uniform, grimly flying Babushka. 

There was a lot of muttering going on.

"Monsieur, the occurrence, what happen?", Roger suddenly asked.

Roger's voice startled Lambert.

He emitted a low screech, somewhere between an Eagle chasing a mouse & an owl with its foot stuck in a window.

Very visceral.

"Bloody h-ll, warn me when your going to say something!", Lambert demanded, as he picked his heart out of his mouth & thrust it back into its rightful place.

"But monsieur, I know not what happened!"

Lambert sighed.

"Someone cracked you one between the eyes. Manwell & Sylvania have gone. You figure it out.

I have to get to Ahmedabad today, Bombay tomorrow. I'll tell you all about it later.

In the mean time please get me some coffee & my trousers, there's a good chap!"

"But monsieur, all your clothes have gone!"

"Oh b-gger, b-gger, b-gger, I'm stuck in this ridiculous outfit until Ahmedabad!", Lambert harrumphed.

Then he got out of the left seat & turned his back on Roger.

Now truthfully, does my bum look big in this skirt?", he asked hesitantly.

Roger's Adams apple bobbled a few times as he suppressed the desire to laugh out loud.

"No monsieur, it doesn't, the outfit suits you well!"

Early morning haze over Karachi as Babushka heads for Ahmedabad. About a 3 hour flight

Please login to display this image.

Horticultural activity East of Karachi

Top down view of the landscape between Karachi & Ahmedabad

Starting to encounter low cloud/haze as Ahmedabad gets closer

The runway lights at Ahmedabad are just visible through the left seat windshield as Lambert searches for the runway at VAAH

Safely on the ground at Ahmedabad

To be continued

Windswept

Diary entry #50: Bombay/Mumbai (VABB)

At Ahmadabad, while Roger arranged the refueling of Babushka, Lambert went in search of clothes at a local Goodwill Store.

He returned well satisfied with a Safari suit & a kimono.

Roger expressed surprise he would wear a kimono, but Lambert informed him that they were very utilitarian & comfortable.

"Besides!", Lambert added, "I've been watching the weather over in Japan. Typhoons!, they're taking a pasting!"

Roger didn't quite  see a connection between Typhoons & kimonos, but he let it rest.

They were both tired.

"Push on to Bombay in the morning!", Lambert announced. "Pity about the others, but no matter. You can fly her standing on the seat?"

"Oui monsieur", Roger agreed.

The flight to Bombay was straightforward.

After Lambert had taken off he handed over to Roger & spent some time in the back of Babushka dictating letters into a small tape recorder.

Roger reminded Lambert that he was going to tell him all about the happenings in Karachi, but Lambert was preoccupied & muttered a slightly terse, "later".

Roger gave a Gallic shrug & flew Babushka until they reached Bombay.  Good weather, 8,500', 108 kia. In fact Roger was amazed at how good the weather had been along the whole trip to date.

He mentioned this to Lambert, who grunted in agreement.

Upon informing Lambert they were running into haze or fog as they descended, he suddenly found himself back in the right seat & Lambert at the controls, peering intently into the haze.

They landed without incident.

Lambert advised Roger he was off to the Expat Club for a shower & could he be so good as to secure Babushka & plot a flight to Calcutta?

"Oui monsieur" Roger grudgingly agreed, for he had an old girl friend in Bombay that he wished to look up.

"Another time, perhaps", he muttered matter of factually. "In matters of the heart, Roger is not always luckyl!"

Leaving Ahmadabad for Bombay

Top down look at cultivation South of Ahmadabad

Descending into Bombay

Top down of the outskirts of Bombay

Flying into low lying haze again, this time Bombay

VABB at last

To be continued

Windswept

Diary Entry #51: Bombay, (VABB),  to Bhopal, (VABP)

Lambert stayed overnight at the Expats Club & returned to the Airport not long after dawn, seemingly in good spirits.

Roger rabbit had spent a miserable night in the back of Babushka.

There was no air conditioning so sweat poured off him. He may as well have slept in a sauna.

Lambert found Roger toweling himself dry under Babushka's wing.

He thought it odd, but other matters were more pressing.

"Okay Roger old chap, we have 3 days to get to Calcutta.

I see that Phileas Fogg did not take a direct route.

We shall attempt to roughly follow his path, but with adjustments to allow for this old crates range limitations" He patted Babushka affectionately on a dusty tire.

"We leave shortly for Bhopal, its about 330 miles. Then the day after we fly on to Varanasi & the day after that, to Calcutta. Any questions?"

"Non monsieur, other than, we go, just the 2 of us?"

"Certainly, you can fly standing on the seat?"

"Oui monsieur!, Roger sighed.

He was not happy about the absence of Manwell's mechanics skills. Babushka liked to be fussed over & Manwell was a fusser par excellence!

"Then its settled. I'll slip into my kimono &  we'll be off!"

Lambert retired to what was Svetlana's changing room and half an hour passed riddled with cursing & thumping against Babushka's fuselage.

Roger, thinking something was amiss, called out to Lambert.

"Monsieur, all is well?"

"No its bl-dy not. This dam kimono is hell to get right. Roger, while I wrestle with this, take off & head mag 38 degrees at 8,500' old chap"

"Are you sure Monsieur, I have never done a take off!"

"You'll be fine. She does most of it herself!!. Tally ho!!"

Roger flicked all the switches to "on", crossed himself & hit Ctrl E.. Babushka erupted in a cloud of smoke & the prop began turning over.

"Well done!", Lambert cried out, from the back of Babushka.

Roger managed to taxi to the runway by alternatively twisting the yoke then jumping down on to  a pedal.

He was unaware that he was being watched through binoculars  by the ATC tower.

"Chandan, look at this, I think the An-2 is being flown by a rabbit!"

"Oh, Bahadar, you pull my leg!"

Chandan took the binoculars & peered into the cockpit. He could see 2 rabbits ears & a pair of goggles.

""Call them up. call them up!", he instructed Bahadar.

"Tower to RA-3105K, tower to RA-3105K,l do you read me. Over?"

Roger heard the call & pushed many buttons & flicked switches & replied, "Copy, over"

There was a long silence then Bahadar spoke.

RA-3105K, are you a rabbit?"

"I am a Belgian rabbit monsieur. Now if you would be so good as to give me clearance I will depart"

While Bahadar & Chandan argued over whether they had the authority to clear an aircraft with a rabbit at the controls, Roger opened the throttle & Babushka lumbered down the runway & was gone.

Headed mag 38 degrees & climbing at 300' per minute.

Roger was not comfortable being in sole charge, but  an hour into the flight, Lambert finally appeared.

"How do I look?", he asked  as he slowly twirled to allow a 360 view of his kimono.

Roger's initial impression was that Lambert had put it on the floor, got on it, & rolled himself up in it,  as if  he was making sushi. & he was the filling!

"Monsieur, do you wear the undergarments under that?", Roger demanded, suspicious that the answer would be no.

"'Sort of. I have my St Christopher's Cross on!", Lambert advised him cheerily.

"Oh mon dieu!", Roger muttered, burying his face in his hands.

Lambert flew the remainder of the trip into Bhopal.

The weather was pretty good  most of the way, with some haze on departure  and when they arrived at VABP.

"Remind me to tell you about the "S" twins", were his last words to Roger, before turning in for the night.

But Lambert could not sleep. He had bigger worries on his mind.

He had been watching the tropical storms and Typhoons cycling  over Japan.

Tropical storm number  twenty seven was looking tricky.

Would it be gone before they reached Japan, only to be replaced by another??

Roger hauls Babushka off the deck in Calcutta

Bit of a rarity on the way to Bhopal, a hill!

More cloud than has been the case so far over India

Descending into Bhopal

Bhopal, (VABP)

Diary Entry # 52: Bhopal, (VABP), to Varanasi, (VIBN)

They were an hour out of Bhopal, on the way to Varanasi.

Lambert was in the left seat, clad in his kimono, WW1 leather flying helmet with matching goggles, & the family heirloom off-white silk scarf wrapped around his neck.

About 3' of the scarf was flapping about outside Babushka after he had opened his window very slightly & pushed it out.

"I like to feel it flapping in the breeze!", he had confided to Roger.

Roger had grunted & gone back to reading a 1982 edition of Popular Mechanics that he had found in Manwell's tool box.

Lambert began to hum, then suddenly turned to address Roger.

"Do you think I'm eccentric?", Lambert inquired.

Roger paused & looked up over his  reading glasses.

"Monsieur, you are a Britisher!"

"That doesn't answer the question!", Lambert insisted.

"I think it does monsieur!", Roger replied, returning to reading his magazine.

Silence fell, apart from the roar of Babushka's exhaust & the clatter of the dashboard panels vibrating in their own weird dance.

Lambert was clearly not satisfied.

Roger sensed that the question was going to be asked again, but in a different way.

He got in first.

"Tell me about the "S" twins monsieur?', Roger suggested.

"Ah!", Lambert replied.

"Long story. Interesting pair. Quite dangerous. Unpredictable!

They crossed our paths about 2 years ago.

Expert hackers. Learnt coding on their Father's Commodore 64 when they were 5 years old." At this point Lambert got up & adjusted his kimono. Roger was of the opinion that it was ill fitting, but not his place to say so.

Lambert cleared his throat, took a shot of Vodka and continued.

"They started out hacking into the bank accounts of wealthy philanthropists.

They would transfer money to a "charity", & it would go unnoticed because they targeted well known donors who's contributions would not be thought odd by their financial managers.

Got caught on that one when they started moving funds into off -course betting accounts. They have a fondness for the gee gees" Lambert laughed.

"So, they moved on"

"And?" Roger prompted.

"Have to wait old chap, I think Varanasi is coming up. I need my full attention for this!"

& Lambert went quiet while he eased Babushka into VIBN.

"On to Calcutta tomorrow. I'm off to town to find another kimono. This one is a bit snug!"

& again Roger was left guarding Babushka.

An occurrence, the novelty of which was wearing thin.

Heading Eastwards towards Varanasi, not long after leaving Bhopal

A largish river on the way to Varanasi

Taking a wide sweep into VIBN, just visible in the top right section of the shot

On approach into Varanasi in good conditions

About to touch down at VIBN

To be continued

Windswept

Diary Entry # 53: Varanasi to Calcutta

Lambert returned late that night with a collection of 6 kimonos.

"Couldn't resist!", he confided to Roger, who was trying to doze inside Babushka.

"I'll show you them in the morning. We hop down to Calcutta, weather should be okay.

Rustle up some bacon, egg & sausage old chap at about 7am & I'll be good to go!", Lambert informed him.

Roger slept fitfully. He had a dream that he had dived into a rabbit burrow & there was Lambert, dressed as a large blue frog, break dancing on a marble bar. Manwell was a barmaid & Svetlana was the DJ.

He woke, sweating profusely. "Mon dieu", he muttered, that was disturbement!"

In the morning, Lambert was not pleased that Roger was unable to rustle up the requested breakfast, having to make do with a green curry & naan bread.

"This may repeat en route old chap, I warn you now!", Lambert informed Roger.

When they took off, Lambert noted there was some Cumulus around & he could feel the thermals bubbling.

It was going to be a bumpy ride to Calcutta.

About an hour into the flight Babushka suddenly coughed & heaved  like a backfiring camel, belched flame &  smoke, then cut out.

Catching a dozing Lambert unawares.

"Holy cr-p!", he hollered.

They were at 8,500' with no power.

Babushka began to drop.

Lambert pushed the pole forward to keep up air speed & began frantically scanning the ground for a  landing spot.

Luckily there were several suitable fields & using the flaps & nose down trim, Lambert held Babushka just above the stall as he maneuvered towards a gasp in some trees & the safety of the field beyond.

Roger thought they were a goner, but somehow Lambert pulled it off & plopped into the field without wrecking the undercarriage.

"Tough old girl, isn't she!!", he commented to Roger.

"Where are we?', he added

"Somewhere North West of Calcutta monsieur", Roger replied.

"Right ho, that's a start!" Lambert looked at Roger. Roger gazed back.

"Sounds like an engine problem!", Lambert added helpfully.

"You think monsieur. All the little moving parts. They are now not in harmonious working order?"

"Afraid not old chap. How long will it take you to fix it?"

"Ha!!", Roger exclaimed. 'Roger is a cultured rabbit, not a grease monkey!", he replied angrily.

"Damn!", Lambert muttered. "I'll have to go for help.

& hitching up his pale lemon kimono he headed towards a dusty road, not 100 meters from where they had landed.

And it came to pass that at 2 am in the morning on a night dimly lit by a crescent moon, Lambert found himself in a lemon kimono out on a dusty secondary road that ran  between Varanassi & Calcutta, with his thumb extended.

Few vehicles or buses had passed by & even he had to acknowledge that a tall angular Englishman dressed in a pale yellow kimono was not your average Indian hitch hiker.

Suddenly he heard the sound of an engine way off in the distance.

Some cloud about when they left Varanasi

Lambert chose to fly left of the gathering cloud out ahead

Disaster strikes. Babushka heads for a dead stick landing, dodging through a tree line.

Safely down in a field. Now, to find help!

To be continued

Windswept

Diary Entry # 54: Varanasi to Calcutta - Part 2

At 2 am under a crescent moon on a back road in India that lead from Varanasi to Calcutta, Lambert swayed in a soft warm breeze.

Like a palm tree buffeted by Florida gusts

His kimono was unfurling & beginning to waft about his thighs.

His thumb was stuck out, looking for that ride would take him to Calcutta & a Shvetsov ASh-621R mechanic.

He was sure there would be one in that teeming city. He prayed there would be one, for without their input, his journey was over.

Babushka was ill.

As the sound of an engine got closer he snapped out of his trance & advanced out on to the dusty road, held his hand up & adjusted his kimono so that a modicum of ankle was showing.

Perched over the handlebars of the motorcycle, his chin resting on a leather satchel wedged between his chest & the fuel tank, the rider slowly became aware that there was something in the middle of the road ahead of him.

In the poor light that the crescent moon was throwing, he was not sure if it was a small giraffe or a flamingo.

But as he got closer he realized it was Lambert.

"Mr Lambert!", Manwell cried out, as he slid the motorcycle & sidecar to a stop, just 3' from a Lambert frozen by fatigue.

Lambert became aware of a presence, he slowly lowered his head & eyed Manwell, adjusted his kimono & said, "What took you so long!!??"

Manwell was stunned.

"Mr Lambert, I follow you across India, & that is all you can say!!"

"Sorry old boy, I'm b-ggered, I've been out here for hours & I think my back has locked up.

Babushka misses you! Badly needs your ministrations!!.

Forced landing old chap. Would you be so good as to see what ails her?"

"Mr Lambert I would be delighted!", Manwell replied, but not overly enthusiastically.

"Roger will hold the torch for you, get her fixed, then we will deal with your desertion!"

"Desertion!", Manwell cried out across the flat plains of India in frustration. "I did not desert! I followed my heart!"

And with that he  kick started Boris & prepared to depart.

Just as he opened the throttle, Roger leaped on to the handle bars & stuck his face 2'' from Manwell's.

"I beg of you monsieur, do not leave me with this, how you say it?, nut job!?"

Manwell paused & released the throttle.

Boris's engine  slowed to a slow throbbing rumble, while Manwell listened to Roger's entreaties.

Lambert, meanwhile, had returned to Babushka to change into a different kimono.

He had decided that pale lemon was not flattering by moonlight. He had caught his reflection in Boris's mirror.

Blissfully unaware of the drama unfolding on top of Boris, Lambert fell asleep in Svetlana's bedroom.

He was woken at midday by the noise of Babushka's 9 cylinder supercharged engine roaring into life.

"Hallelujah!", he cried. "I knew you could do it Manwell! Jolly good show old chap!"

A grease stained Roger pulled Lambert aside. "Monsieur, Manwell is, how you say, very delicate at the moment. His heart has been rent asunder by the Twins.

He is in mourning!

We must have him with us, Babushka is becoming temperamental!

I implore you monsieur, no more talk of desertion, please. It will drive him away. He will tell his story in good time!"

Lambert harrumphed & glanced at Manwell, who was slowly and reflectively wiping oil off his face.

Even Lambert could tell that he was not in a happy place.

"Fancy a lift to Calcutta old chap?", Lambert offered Manwell breezily.

Manwell nodded slowly, but averted his eyes.

Roger  quickly helped him strip Boris of the sidecar and load the parts into Babushka.

Lambert gunned the engine & with 45 degrees flap they trundled off across the field that had been their savior, & lifted off for Calcutta..

"What was the problem old chap?", Lambert called back to Manwell, who was tinkering with Boris's motor.

"The fuel line was clogged. Sand. Not good. The filter was overfull. No gas gets through. Not good!", Manwell replied.

"I'm sure I asked Roger to check that in Bombay!", Lambert called back.

"Monsieur, how you say it, I think on this matter you are a stranger to the truth!!. I recall no filter request!", a very irate Roger replied.

The atmosphere was a bit tense & Lambert decided it was time to get Babushka into Calcutta.

She ran cleanly the rest of the way & despite haze around the city, they made it in.

"I'm off to the British Embassy gents. See you in the morning!"

Manwell & Roger rolled their eyes.

Lambert turned & called back, "I need to get maps for the next leg to Hong Kong. A lot of coastal flying I suspect!"

Roger turned to Manwell & casually inquired whether Babushka's side door could be opened at 8,500'.

Manwell smiled broadly. "Maybe we have to test that monsieur?", he replied

Babushka lifts off from a field in India, back on track for Calcutta

Running into haze on the outskirts of Calcutta

Heeled over on approach into Calcutta, (VECC)

Made it on the last day.  3rd leg down.

To be continued

Windswept

Diary Entry # 55: In Calcutta

Roger could not sleep that night. Manwell was texting all night. Occasionally he would swear or laugh or cry.

It stopped when his battery died.

In the morning a sullen short sleep Roger was sitting under Babushka's  lower port wing to get some relief from the sun, when he spied 2 elephants approaching from the East. They lumbered as elephants do.

Lambert was on one. His kimono was gone & now he was back in a safari suit.

The short pants version.

His legs stuck out & down the side of the elephant. Like 2 splayed pieces of  white chalk.

His riding motion was ungainly, like a tiny  tug boat tossed in cross current seas.

Heaving this way, then that way.

How he stayed on top of the elephant was a mystery to Roger.

By now Manwell had joined Roger under the wing.

The 2nd elephant hung back & stopped.

Who was riding it??, Manwell asked Roger. Roger shrugged.

As Lambert approached Babushka,Roger muttered to Manwell, "Monsieur, I think this may become, how you say, interesting?"

To be continued

Windswept

Diary Entry # 56: Les Elephants

Lambert reached Babushka & executed an ungainly dismount. He ejected himself as the elephant was lowering to its knees.

It was only Manwell's quick action that save him from burying his face in the tarmac.

"Thank you old boy!", he murmured to Manwell, as he dusted off his safari suit & straightened his socks.

The other elephant & rider were hovering about 50 yards away. Suddenly the elephant knelt & the rider dismounted without incident.

They walked slowly over to Babushka, did one circuit, then stopped in front of Lambert & laughed heartily.

"James, surely you're not serious!"

"Manwell, Roger, allow me to introduce Mrs Lambert!"

Manwell bowed, Roger curtsied & Mrs Lambert smiled serenely.

She turned to Lambert & hitting him gently across the head with her parasol, for she was dressed in a Victorian style and had a hat on that appeared if 200 peacocks had been sacrificed in its making. "James, I've just flown in on a 777, you do not expect me to ride in this do you!", & she waved disparagingly towards Babushka.

"Mildred, you'll love it, it'll be just like when we went to the Lakes District for the holidays  in that lovely old Humber 80!:

"I remember it well James. I got pneumonia!"

"Madam!", Roger stepped forward. "To what do we owe the pleasure of your company?"

Mildred smiled benignly at Roger. "I write Romantic Novellas under the pen name Barbara Cart-Horse, you may have heard of me?"

"Mai non madam!", Roger replied. shaking his head.

Manwell cleared his throat, "Love in The Torquay Milk Sheds", Lady Wunderlusts Last Stand", "Jane Of Sloterberry Farm", I have read them all madam! Classics, true classics!", Manwell enthused.

"Wonderful, a romantic! Oh this will be fun. I may share the plot line of my next novel with you. It's set in Burma. I'm here doing research."

"Does it have a Title yet Mrs Lambert?", Manwell inquired as Lambert looked at him sideways.

"Do call me Mildred, or Millie. I go by both. It has a working title of "Banging Away in Burma", but I may tweak that later."

Lambert interrupted.

"Come Mildred, I will show you to your quarters!", as Roger turned away, stunned.

To be continued

Windswept

Diary Entry # 57: Preparations  for Departure from Calcutta

Mildred took one look at her 'quarters' & made a theatrical exit from Babushka.

Lambert was subjected to a half hour lecture by Mildred about the matter & was last seen by Roger departing at haste in Boris's sidecar, Manwell on the motorcycle element.

With a shopping list that included a single bed, 800 count Egyptian cotton sheets, goose down pillows, blue velvet curtains, a writing desk and expensive stationary.

They returned 3 hours later and throughout the afternoon a small convoy of vans arrived with the purchases.

Lambert spent the day chastened beyond belief.

At dusk Lambert gathered them all around a map & outlined the next leg of their adventure.

"I've got it figured out to Singapore. When we get there I'll sort out where we go next. Weather around Japan is frightful!"

"Monsieur, do we fly today?", Roger inquired.

Lambert shook his head, "No old chap, too late. Start at first light tomorrow!"

Mildred snorted as she sat in her easy chair & crocheted.

Lambert gave her a baleful look.

"James, your never on time!", Mildred responded, to the baleful look.

Lambert ignored her. In fact he had spent a lot of time in their marriage ignoring her.

"We head first to Sittwe, which is on the West coast of Burma."

"Lovely!", Mildred murmured.

Lambert continued.

"Then we push on to Ye, which is also on the West coast of Burma.

That's a long leg. Manwell, more of your tuning tricks will be needed to eke out the fuel.!" Manwell gave a thumbs up.

"Then its Phuket on the West coast of Thailand, Ipoh in Malaysia and finally we get to Changi Airport in Singapore.

So its really a lot of flying down coastlines!"

He paused and looked up.

"Any questions?"

"Is there a Harrods in Ipoh?", Mildred asked. "I doubt it dear!", Lambert replied.

"Oh!, how inconvenient!", Mildred sniffed.

The days exertions had taken its toll & they turned in early for the night.

After awhile Lambert called to Mildred. "Is the bed comfortable dear?"

"Wonderful dear,yes. Why do you ask?"

'Oh no reason dear!"

"James, its a single bed. go to sleep!", Mildred admonished.

To be continued

Windswept

Diary Entry # 58: Calcutta to Sittwe, (VYSW)

Mildred cleared her throat and talking to no one in particular, went off on a rambling monologue about Sittwe.

"I found this in Wikedpedia", she began, "In early 1825, during the First Anglo-Burmese War, the British forces landed at Sittwe and stationed their forces by the ancient pagoda, Ahkyaib-daw, which is still standing in the city.

The British adopted the name Akyab for the place."

"A distant relative of mine was in that campaign & was stationed at Sittwe for a time!", she added, looking up to ensure her audience was riveted by her discourse.

Continuing she advised them, "Originally a small fishing village, Sittwe became an important seat of maritime commerce, especially as a port for the export of rice after the British occupation of Arakan, now known as Rakhine State"

"Oh mon dieu, a history lesson on every flight!", Roger muttered to himself.

"Did you say something Mr Rabbit?", Mildred asked sharply.

"Mais non madam, I think the plane makes many noises!", he replied.

They were at 9,000' in good conditions an hour out from Calcutta, on the way to Sittwe, which is located on Burma's North West Coast.

The haze that had enveloped them in Calcutta had dissipated.

Lambert was flying. Mrs Lambert was still in bed reading Tattler and Country Life.

At one stage she rose from bed began writing some of her latest novel, but finding the writing table vibrated too much for her liking, retired to bed again.

The flight took just over 3.5 hours and they arrived in time for Lambert to take them all to dinner at a local restaurant.

Manwell decided that the arrival of Mrs Lambert was a good thing. Lambert never sprang for dinner until she turned up!

Departing from Calcutta in hazy conditions

Approaching the Bay of Bengal

Over the Bay of Bengal

Coast of North West Burma in the distance

On approach into Sittwe

Sittwe

To be continued

Windswept

Diary Entry # 59: Ye

It was the day after they had arrived in Sittwe, Lambert was livid.

After saying she would be ready for an early departure for Ye, (VYYE), Mrs Lambert had decided to sleep in, then visit a cemetery outside of town where she thought a distant relative might be interred.

He had fallen in the second Anglo-Burmese War, (1852 to 1853)

The circumstances were that,  "In 1852, Commodore George Lambert, [no relation to Capt. James Lambert], was dispatched to Burma by Lord Dalhousie over a number of minor issues related to the Treaty of Yandabo between the countries. The Burmese immediately made concessions including the removal of a governor whom the Company made their casus belli. Lambert, described by Dalhousie in a private letter as the "combustible commodore",

]eventually provoked a naval confrontation in extremely questionable circumstances by blockading the port of Rangoon and seizing the King Pagan's royal ship and thus started the Second Anglo-Burmese War which ended in the Company annexing the province of Pegu and renaming it Lower Burma." (Source - Wikipedia) 

Mildred's relative had stepped on a Burmese python and in the ensuing melee, lost the fight.

Lambert was blissfully unaware that a namesake had history associated with Sittwe. Mildred wasn't but thought it a waste of time to inform him.

It was early afternoon when Boris appeared with Manwell on the bike & Mildred in the sidecar. 

Her Victorian outfit made entry & exit  difficult, much akin to squeezing a banana through a key hole, but she managed.

Before Lambert could express his frustration at her lateness, she held up a hand  & said, "James, don't start. I found the grave. It was very poignant!" Manwell nodded in agreement.

Lambert paused, then addressed all of them.

"Right ho, we're quite late . We need to press on though!"

"Monsieur, where are we headed?", Roger inquired.

"Some place down the coast called Ye. Bit off the beaten path I think. We'll need a sharp look out when we get there.

It will be night, there are no landing lights & I believe the runway is gravel. You wouldn't get a 747 in there, but we can!"

"But monsieur!", Roger protested, "Babushka will suffer! Her poor tyres will be cut to shreds!"

Lambert laughed. "Poppycock! Babushka is built like a brick outhouse. Just like Mrs Lambert!"

Well, that was awkward!.

Mrs Lambert was inside Babushka getting changed & making a cup of tea.

No one, especially Lambert,  knew if she had heard him or not.

Lambert waited 10 minutes, decided he was safe & prepared Babushka for take off.

Mildred was at her desk, writing, with a face you could have sliced Halibut on.

All was quiet for the first hour and just as the hair on the back of Lambert's neck was settling down, having been on high alert, Mildred crept up behind the left seat & smote him over the head an almighty blow, with her parasol.

It was a blow of such magnitude that Manwell had to take over from the right seat while Lambert lay slumped in the left.

As darkness fell & they were still way out from Ye, Manwell became agitated & persuaded Roger to throw a pot of water over Lambert's head.

His recovery was just sufficient for them to get into Ye in the dark.

Nothing was said  between the Lambert's. Just frightful stares.

"All very odd", Roger mused.

Leaving Sittwe behind in clear conditions

Distant hills in Eastern Burma and greenery. Something Manwell & Roger discussed, as they had seen a lot of flat desert up to a few days ago

The sun, haze & Babushka, headed down the West coast of Burma

Nearing Ye after night fall

Dropping down looking for the Ye airstrip

The gravel runway at Ye

To be continued

Windswept

4 minutes ago, MarkHurst said:

That particular Orbx texture tile became very familiar when flying over India. It's a nice one, but it's everywhere!

Asia tends to be underdeveloped texture wise, so there is a lot of repetition.

WS

Lovely diary. I would keep my eyes glued to that engine temperature gauge. This baby does not like hot weather, coming from first hand experience. Keep those cowl flaps open wide at this part of the world. Godspeed and best wishes.

Diary Forum # 60: A day in Ye. (Short)

There was a frisson of coldness between the Lamberts.

Mildred announced she was going shopping & disappeared for the day., hitching a ride in a refueling tanker.

Lambert was apoplectic.

"Time, we are losing time!!"

"We leave without her?", Manwell suggested.

Lambert paced back & forth for a good 25 minutes before deciding that she would probably hunt him down.

He shook his head.

"We await her Majesty at her pleasure", he observed dryly. "But tomorrow we go!"

To be continued

Windswept

Diary Entry # 61: Ye to Phuket

Mildred returned at midnight wearing a hula skirt & Uggs.

Her Victorian era outfit had disappeared.

She was in good spirits. Lambert suspected this was from the ingestion of spirits.

They did not speak.

The next morning they left her snoring in her bedroom & departed for Phuket, (VTSP).

It was a long journey of around 440 miles & they trekked down the West Coast of Burma, then Thailand.

Weather was reasonable  and they cruised at 109 kia at 9,000', with Manwell orchestrating the mixture/prop,throttle comb to find the sweet spot that would see them into Phuket without empty tanks.

Roger sat in the back reading an Agatha Christie novel.

Mildred slept the whole trip.

At Phuket she announced she was going shopping again & later returned in a bright pink sarong.

Roger decided that Mrs Lambert had more of a clothes fetish than Mr Lambert.

That night Lambert announced they would push on to Ipoh in Malaysia the next day, but the forecast was for some electrical storms, & they may need to turn back.

Roger was disconcerted by this information.

He was even more disconcerted when, while they were all quietly munching on their Thai takeaways, Mrs Lambert casually inquired of Mr lambert whether he had recently been in touch with the "S" twins?

This caused Mr Lambert to choke on his Pad Thai, necessitating a Heimlich maneuver from Manwell.

After he stood on a box so he could reach Lambert's stomach.

The atmosphere inside Babushka that night was dense, very dense. 

Warming up on Ye's gravel runway prior to departure for Phuket

View from the left seat

Some hills on the way to Phuket

Conditions still good

Swinging left to then turn right to come into the airport, which straddles an isthmus

Touching down at Phuket

Diary Entry # 62: Phuket, (VTSP),  to Ipoh, (WMKI)

The journey continued down the West Coast of Thailand, into Malaysia.

Mrs Lambert sat in a deck chair shielded from the early morning sun by Babushka's wing.

She dipped her ginger nut biscuit  in a cup of Earl Grey tea, a refreshing Beveridge that Manwell had thoughtfully prepared for her over a spirit stove.

He & Roger had baked beans on toast, Lambert skipped breakfast.

He was not happy.

The weather forecast for their flight plan indicated electrical storms & rain.

He tossed up whether to abandon the days flight, or tough it out.

Meanwhile, Roger had quizzed Mrs Lambert about the "S" Twins.

She had smiled very innocently & proclaimed, "I don't know who you mean dear!"

The journey started out well enough, but not long after they had crossed the border from Thailand to Malaysia, they encountered an electrical storm of such magnitude that Lambert lashed himself to the yoke as Babushka bucked & plummeted like a wild horse. Rain was coming through horizontally, lashing the windscreen. The wipers groaned under the effort.

Updrafts & thermal activity were everywhere.

Mildred was asleep on her bed when Babushka went nose up & her bed slid into Boris at the back of the aircraft.

Then it went nosed down & the bed slid into the back of the pilot's seats.

"James, do something!", Mrs Lambert screamed.

"I am dear, I'm keeping her on the straight & narrow!" Which was an exaggeration as Babushka was corkscrewing left & right.

The bed slid back again, then Babushka began following a roller coaster  gravity defying trajectory.

As she reached the top  of the climb & began to nose over, Mrs Lambert's bed rose off the floor & she found herself an inch from the ceiling.

She screamed.

Manwell looked up & froze.

He had a conundrum.

Hide in the sidecar or protect Mrs Lambert?

Ever the gallant, he chose the latter, & donning a crash helmet left by one of the "S" sisters, he waited for the next down cycle and flung himself on top of Mrs Lambert, in a vain attempt to pin her & the bed to the floor.

What followed was 10 minutes of banging.

This being Manwell's helmet striking the ceiling each time the bed rose up.

Mrs Lambert clung to Manwell ferociously, like a limpet to a rock in a rip tide, & when Lambert called back over the din, Roger was sure he heard Mrs Lambert implore Manwell not to stop.

Manwell had little control over events.

He had been knocked out in the first crash helmet collision with the ceiling & was quite limp.

Mrs Lambert only realized this when Babushka suddenly flattened out & Mrs L released her death grip on Manwell, who slid over the side of the bed, like a spent noodle.

But the calm was short lived.

Roger, strapped into the right seat, was of the opinion that whatever control input Lambert gave Babushka, she did the opposite.

It was a wild ride. Lightning flashed around them.

Thunder smote the heavens & Manwell, revived by Mrs Lambert slapping him about the face vigorously, for she had attended Prep school & knew how these things worked,  was now on his knees praying.

The wing rigging whistled as Babushka rocked & rolled.

The wings flexed, her fuselage groaned.

It did not look good.

Beads of sweat had broken out on Lambert's forehead.

Roger reached across & wiped them off with an ear.

Lambert murmured a thanks as he held in alternately, full up, full down, full left, then full right rudder & Babushka ignored his efforts & bopped around the sky to natures beat.

Suddenly the storm abated & battered but unbowed, Babushka shook herself & rumbled on to Ipoh.

As  they rolled to a stop on the runway, Mrs Lambert grabbed a gin bottle & took an almighty swig.

"Much better!", she announced before winking at Manwell.

On the way out of Phuket

West coat of Thailand

Bouncing around in the electrical storm

In Malaysia in haze & rain. Tail end of the electrical storm

Dropping down to Ipoh

Diary Entry # 63: Review

The tumultuous flight from Phuket to Ipoh had shattered Lambert's confidence.

He had suddenly found prayer again. Something that had left his life when he departed Eton.

Would he go on?

Singapore beckoned, but Babushka was in rough shape. A peculiar dent in the ceiling above Mildred's bed bothered him. Plus Mildred's bed had been shattered by the tempest & the combined weight of Manwell & Mrs Lambert using it as an involuntary  trampoline.

Was Babushka capable of another washing machine trip?

What was going on between Manwell & Mrs Lambert?

And why did Roger start using conditioner on his ears?

Will this be continued?

Windswept

Diary Entry #  64: Reflection

Lambert informed the crew that they could stand down for the day.

He was going into Ipoh for some ice cream.

Manwell & Mildred left in Boris to find a new bed for Mildred.

Roger drew the short straw & was left on guard duty.

"Do we fly tomorrow monsieur?", Roger asked Lambert as Lambert waited for his taxi.

"Not sure old chap, have to sort a few things first!", he sniffed.

In Ipoh Lambert did the rounds of 3 ice cream parlors that were on the edge of a small square.

As he sat down on a bench to consume his 3rd cone of Hokey Pokey ice cream, he was aware of a presence sitting down next to him.

"The croissants are stale", the person murmured.

Lambert turned, but all he could see was the turned up collar of a trench coat, dark glasses, & a trilby. 

"I thought the bread was stale!", Lambert replied.

There was an exasperated sigh. "G-d Jimmy, it changed last week, it's croissants now. Keep up!"

"Weedwacker?"

"Shh, we may be  under observation!", Weedwacker hissed.

"What do you want?", Lambert demanded.

"We need you to go on to Hong Kong", Weedwacker informed him. "Its very very important!"

"I'm finished Bart, had enough. Wife's run off with a Spanish Vespa mechanic, good g-d, they're out there somewhere getting another bed after destroying the one we had in the An-2!"

Bart cleared his throat. "We don't think you have any worries with the Vespa Mechanic. But if I were you I would encourage Mrs Lambert to see a Dermatologist when she gets back to Blighty. The mole on her right buttock is looking a tad dark for our liking!"

Lambert was stunned. "How the h-ll do you know that!?", he demanded, but there was no answer.

He turned to see a trench coat scurrying into a black van, that left at a considerable clip.

To be continued

Windswept

Diary Entry # 65: Ipoh (WMKI) to Singapore (WSSS), Changi

Lambert was very quiet the next morning.

'It has been intimated to me that we need to go on!", he advised the others. "Its against my better judgement, but the powers that be have a mission for us, & we must obey!"

He paused to check that they had all understood.

"We leave in one hour for Changi airport in Singapore. We will fly down the Western side of the hills that are inland from Ipoh. Any questions?"

There were none, so they departed in reasonable weather and Lambert flew most of the trip, apart from a break when he pulled Manwell aside and asked him to check the mole on Mrs Lambert's right buttock.

"Que??", was Manwell's confused response.

Mrs Lambert was trying out her new bed, a Futon style, & pronounced it satisfactory.

Roger did notice out of the corner of his eye that occasionally Mrs Lambert would stare longingly at Manwell, but Manwell had Boris's carburetor in pieces on an oil cloth on Babushka's floor & was very engrossed in counting parts.

And Roger had his own problems.

The conditioner he was putting in his ears was drying out & in that state static electricity was arcing between his ear tips & throwing Babushka's instruments off.

Lambert was furious & ordered Roger to rectify the matter.

Which he did, by dipping his ears in milk.

They slipped into Changi between a 747 and a DC-3.

"Very busy here!", Lambert mused as he maneuvered to their parking spot, hoping the 747 wouldn't run over them.

"Tomorrow we need to go over every nut & bolt on this crate before we press on!"

They retired for the night. Mrs Lambert visually willing Manwell into her bed, & Manwell, very confused about Mr Lambert's buttock instruction, curling up in Boris's side car.

Lambert slept in the left seat, Roger the right, & the snorers, (Lambert & Manwell),  started dueling cacophonies that would leave Roger with a migraine in the morning.

Leaving Ipoh

Haze in the distance

Ground mist

Heading for Changi

Babushka about to meet her shadow at Changi

To be continued

Windswept

Diary Entry # 66: Singapore to Kota Bahru

While Roger attended to his migraine, the others worked on readying Babushka for the flight to Kota Bahru, (WMKC), located in the North Eastern corner of Malaysia.

It would be a journey over the hinterland of Malaysia.

When Manwell inquired as to its location, Lambert cleared his throat & declared - "I quote the following from Wikipedia":

'Kota Bharu (Jawi: كوت بهارو; Chinese: 哥打峇鲁; occasionally referred to as Kota Baharu) is a city in Malaysia that serves as the state capital and royal seat of Kelantan. It is also the name of the territory (jajahan) or district in which Kota Bharu City is situated. The name means 'new city' or 'new castle/fort' in Malay. Kota Bharu is situated in the northeastern part of Peninsular Malaysia, and lies near the mouth of the Kelantan River at 6°8′N 102°15′E. The northeastern Malaysian city is close to the Thailand border.

Kota Bharu is home to many mosques, various museums, the unique architecture of the old royal palaces (still occupied by the sultan and sultanah and off-limits to visitors but viewable from outside) and former royal buildings (which can be visited) in the centre of town.

Kota Bharu was founded during the late 19th century. Before the establishment, Kota Bharu was a home to Kelantan's Royal Palace then was established by Sultan Muhammad II of Kelantan in 1844 as Kelantan's state capital who wanted the new state capital built in his honor. Prior to this, Kota Bharu was known as Kuala Kelantan. Before Kota Bharu assumed the role, the Kelantanese capital was divided into two which were Kota Kubang Labu and Kota Pengkalan Datu.  During the 19th century, Kelantan was a prosperous and populous state which holds a population of around 30,000 to 50,000 people including a thousands of Chinese. One of the production from the state are gold, tin ore, black pepper, areca nut, rice, rattan, bamboo, agarwood and songket. Kota Bharu act as entepot for goods due to its strategic location on the beside the Kelantan River.'

Lambert referred to his "To Do" list as they methodically checked Babushka.

He insisted Mildred's new bed be bolted to the floor & had Manwell panel beat the shape of his head out of Babushka's ceiling.

Mildred was very quiet & set about putting a wrench over as many bolts as she could find. Lambert was pleased with her report that 95% were still tight.

"Tight is good!", Lambert advised her, wondering why she smiled at the statement.

Not long before they were to depart, a truck pulled up with an inflatable life raft & this was stowed on board.

"Just in case!", Lambert announced.

"In case of what monsieur?", Roger inquired.

'In case we end up in the drink when we fly from Kota Bharu to Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam. Quite a stretch of water to cross old boy!!", Lambert replied cheerily.

Roger turned pale & felt his migraine returning.

Misty on the way out of Singapore

Inland Malaysia hills

The same inland Malaysia hills (Writing at 6 am is not advisable :))

Lightning flash very close to Babushka. At this moment they all screamed & Lambert was temporarily blinded, which necessitated Manwell taking control.

Babushka was again bounced around like a cork in a washing machine, but held together

Out the other side of the storm, looking for Kota Bharu

On finals into Kota Bharu

To be continued

Winswept

Diary Entry # 67: Kota Bharu, (WMKC),to Ho Chi Minh City, (VVTS)

Due to the violent electrical storm they encountered during the journey to Kota Bharu, Lambert sought out an optician shortly after landing.

He was unable to locate one so had a barmaid at the first bar he found peer at his eyeballs. She declared them not to be bloodshot.

Satisfied, he returned to the airport with 16 pairs of Ray-Ban aviator sun glasses.

Lambert shared them around & briefed the crew for the next leg.

"Could be dicey chaps!", he commented, Mildred in his eyes being one of the 'chaps'.

"Forecast is iffy, lot of water to traverse, I suggest you update your wills!"

His suggestion sent Roger into a faint.

By the time he had recovered they were in the air & he spent the rest of the journey with a paper bag over his head muttering, "Mon dieu!" every 10 minutes.

Again they encountered an electrical storm.

It came at them from the East while well out over the ocean and this time Lambert took evasive action, dropping down to 4,500' and flying around it rather than straight through it.

He was congratulated by all on board for doing that. "Airmanship!", he replied smugly.

Conditions were good when they reached Ho Chi Minh City.

Lambert announced they would rest up & push on to Quy Nhon, the next day.

Manwell caught Mrs Lambert tapping out messages on an old Morse code apparatus she kept in her writing desk.

Mildred did not realize that Manwell could decipher Morse code. 

He wondered what she meant by "Imperative we meet in HK, stop.". "Bring chicken, stop"

On the way out of Kota Bharu in cloudy conditions

Out over the ocean between Malaysia & Vietnam, in a rain storm. Cockpit view that shows rain drops on the windscreen!

Another 6 am B-lls Up, repeat picture!! :)

Babushka pushing on in the rain.Flew 49 mag at 4,500' to get under the storm, which was coming in from 91 mag with the wind at 20 kts

South East Vietnam

Landing lights of Ho Chi Minh City runway up ahead to the right

Tower view of landing at Ho Chi Minh City, (VVTS)

To be continued

Windswept

Archived