Capt. Lambert in Biplanes

Windswept

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Diary Entry #12 (Short)

Lambert found his pub, but couldn't sit on a bar stool & hobbled back to Babushka, cursing under his breath.

He needed his drugs. Soon.

Manwell did not find his cousin, she had moved back to Madrid. This saddened him, he hadn't seen her since they were teenagers.

When Manwell returned to Babushka he found Lambert  laid out on one of the 2 Russian camp stretchers they had taken with them.

Lambert gave Manwell 50 Euros & dispatched him to find Tamulosin HCL, 0.4mg tablets.

Manwell rode off on Loretta, not quite sure what he was looking for. 

His Italian was rough in the extreme & when he returned & handed Lambert a blister pack with 28 white pills & the wording "pillo contraccettive" stamped on the back,  Lambert groaned loudly & tossed them aside.

"Manwell, we must keep moving!! Today you will fly the leg from Milano Linate, to Bari!"

"Where Bari?", Manwell asked, very confused.

"Think of Italy as a boot with a zip down the back. Bari is at the bottom of the zip.

We will fly down the Eastern side of the central mountain spine. I will navigate from my bed by looking out the window & keeping the coast on our left!"

"Si!", Manwell concurred, "Can I fly left seat?"

"Not yet Manwell, that's a little presumptuous old chap!", Lambert grumbled.

To be continued

Windswept

The right seat in Babushka from the left seat that Manwell covets. Milano Linate, departure preparation. (There is an amber light on the left side of the dash. It never goes out, & not sure if it is meant to. If anyone knows what it is for & if it should be out during a flight, kindly advise how to make that happen:))

Please login to display this image.

vor 5 Stunden , Windswept sagte:

If anyone knows what it is for & if it should be out during a flight, kindly advise how to make that happen:))

Aloha!

A manual said:

Antifire system ready lamp

So it should be fine if it's glowing during the flight > you are safe :)

safe landings

Lem

3 hours ago, quaxpilot said:

Aloha!

A manual said:

Antifire system ready lamp

So it should be fine if it's glowing during the flight > you are safe :)

safe landings

Lem

Thank you!:)

Windswpt

Diary Entry #13: Milano to Bari

Lambert handed Manwell a pen & writing pad - "Get this down Manwell, its a letter to the First Secretary of the British Embassy in Milan!!"

"Mr Bartholomew Weedwacker DSO, KBE

First Secretary, British Embassy,

Milan

"Dear Sir

My name is Capt. Lambert SA. Retd.

I write to you on a matter of National importance.

I am currently engaged in an around the world venture in an aircraft,  details of which I cannot disclose, due to secrecy agreements. You will be familiar with those, no doubt.

You must sign a few between games of cricket & the consumption of taxpayer funded pink gins!!

Vital medical supplies were left at my East Croydon mansion, because my wife forgot to pack them.

I request that a member of the Foreign Office staff be dispatched forthwith to Castillo Redondo, 92 Rainbow Lane, East Croydon, to uplift the medication from my wife, Mildred, & return it to me in a  Diplomatic pouch.

Should that not be possible, then I request an emergency RAF evacuation flight to get me back to England post haste.

Should I not get the subject medicine within the next 24 hours then it is my belief that my prostate will explode.

And the cause of that will be on your head.

I await your favorable reply.

Yours

Capt. Lambert SA Retd."

Manwell finished scribbling, Lambert handed him an envelope addressed appropriately & Loretta burst into song & was flogged down the road by Manwell.

Mr Lambert had insisted on "haste!"

An hour later Manwell arrived back in a cloud of smoke & handed Lambert a blue envelope.

He sniffed it. "This reeks of Chanel #5!", he told Manwell disapprovingly.

He ripped open the envelope & read its contents:

Memo From: Mr Bartholomew Weedwacker DSO, KBE, RN Retd, First Secretary, British Embassy, Milan.

Lambert groaned. "RN Retd -  he's ex Navy Manwell, we're stuffed!."

Dearest Lambo

You haven't a prayer old chap.

We know that you are peddling a Russian aircraft  marketed by the Germans!

How patriotic is that!

Couldn't you be in something like a Tiger Moth, or  a Vulcan, or even Concord??

Sorry, no Diplomatic pouch or RAF flight.

But we did ring your charming wife & she said "Roger Rabbit"

Trust that helps

Yours

Bartholomew (call me Bart) Weedwacker DSO KBE RN Retd.

PS - why don't you take a bl-dy boat, you'd get where ever you're going quicker!!

Lambert frowned.

"Where's Roger?", he asked Manwell.

To be continued

Windswept

If you send a telegram to Captn Mops to Cairo before 06. oct 2017 20:30 zulu time, we can help maybe. HECA - London - Milano is flighttime under 6 hrs with the Valkyrie. If the telegram was send after 20:30 zulu it is to late and we are on our way HECA - CSIA. And we need a little bit money for fuel, we calculate 350.000 pound high nitrogen fuel, 5,99 Dollar/Pound, the XB-70 dont like jet fuel.

(Your Diary is amazing)

happy landings

PeSt

"Gracias gentlemen"

Diary Entry #14: Still trying to leave Milano Linate

Lambert frowned.

"Where's Roger?", he asked Manwell.

Manwell rummaged in some kit bags & finally found a furry leg.

Pulling out Roger rabbit with a big smile, he handed him to Lambert.

Lambert grasped Roger by the body & shook him, then he squeezed him, smelt him & bit his ear. He thought he felt a twitch.

At that moment his fingers brushed across plastic. Turning Roger over he pushed aside fur on his back & saw a small plastic zipper running the length of  Roger's spine.

Easing Roger's spine open revealed the edge of a plastic bag..

As he pulled on the edge of the bag, it popped out & "My g-d !!", exclaimed Lambert, "a year's supply!. What a woman!"

And with that he hurriedly tore open the bag, scattering Tamulosin HCL 0.4mg tablets in all directions.

Scooping up a handful he swallowed them with a swig of gin & tonic & pronounced himself satisfied.

"Manwell, gather up the tablets & prepare for take off!" Lambert beamed

"Si Mr Lambert, but there is something you should know!!"

Manwell was white. His eyes were round & large.

To be continued

Windswept.

Diary Entry #15: A Surprise

Manwell was white. His eyes were round & large.

Lambert noticed it. "What is it Manwell?", he inquired distractedly.

"He wink at me!", Manwell blurted out.

"Wink?, who?", Lambert demanded, still waiting to feel the effects of  10 days in one  dose of  Tamulosin HCL 0.4 mg kick in.

"Roger rabbit. He wink at me!"

"No!", Lambert laughed as he turned to see where Roger was.

Roger was sitting  in a little camp chair next to the camp stretcher that Lambert had been using.

He waved to Lambert.

"Holy cr-p!", Lambert exclaimed.

Roger smiled & spoke in an accent that Lambert did not immediately recognize.

“I am all that there is of the most real!"

Another smile & wave. "Do you have lettuce monsieur, the little grey cells, they need the stimulation, for one cannot reside in a carry on bag & be healthy, non!"

Lambert turned to Manwell.

"Time to go old chap, I need to lie down, this is all too much. Follow the coast to Bari!"

"Which coast Mr Lambert?

"The one out that way!", Lambert protested, waving his arm due East.

Roger moved thoughtfully out of the way as Lambert headed for his camp stretcher.

"You have the, how we say, fire down below monsieur?", he asked soliciticily

Lambert nodded.

'Ah, oui, the sins of the flesh, n'est pas!"

Before Lambert could express outright indignation, Manwell had fired up Babushka, & having forgotten to apply the brakes, lurched forward like a drunken pheasant.

Throwing Lambert on to his camp stretcher.

Face downwards.

To be continued

Windswept

Good evening Squire

This account is hilarious. If you are going to keep this up for 75 more days, my sides will be irrevocably split.

Thank you so much for your effort.

errr...  Please post a picture of Lambert and Manwell ... 

Dave Britzius

(Cape Town)

L & M are very camera shy.

Diary Entry #16: Finally - Milano Linate to Bari

Manwell gripped the yoke with whitened knuckles & somehow steered  her between two 747's & a Learjet.

Roger sprang into action, he pushed Manwell over to the left seat & stood on tip toe on the right seat.

" Mon dieu, left, more left!", he commanded, his ears flapping in excitement

"I'm full left now!", Manwell wailed. 

"Full throttle then!", Roger cried, throwing his furry body against the throttles & perching on them to hold them open.

He pulled out a cane & began whipping the throttles.

"Que??", Manwell yelled as Babushka bellowed & roared off across the tarmac into short grass.

Trees were fast approaching.

"Full back stick!", Roger cried, pausing from whipping the throttles to tweak the mixture..

Babushka lurched into the air, complaining mightily.

Her whole body shuddered, & for a moment it felt like she was going to roll over like a beached whale.

But Roger came to the rescue.

Shoving Manwell out of the left seat he threw in down elevator, stabilized the rudder & adjusted the propellers & throttle.

A few more trim adjustments & Babushka was climbing to 8,000'  at 200 fpm, headed 145 mag with a gentle tail wind in light fog.

"How you know to do that!', Manwell gasped, amazed at Roger's prowess.

"Ah monsieur", Roger smiled & tapped the side of his head with his cane, "its all in the little grey cells!", & he finished by twirling his whiskers.

"Where are we headed monsieur?", Roger glanced over at Manwell as he posed the question.

"Bari, the Palese Macchie airport, LIBD"

"I know it well monsieur, do as I say and we will get there!"

Roger handed control back to Manwell and retired to the back of Babushka.

"I will call directions as we go monsieur!"

Meanwhile, Lambert was snoring so loudly he could have been mistaken for a Clydesdale with rhinitis.

Departing Milano Linate in foggy conditions.

Heading down the Eastern side of Italy, central mountains in the background

Later in the day, getting down near Bari, cutting across a bay

A different view of the bay, moon out to the left

Approach into Bari over olive groves. Landing by Manwell, supervised by Roger rabbit

Made it to Bari. Lambert still asleep

Diary Entry #17

Roger rabbit guided Babushka into a hangar off the side of the airfield at  Bari.

They checked Lambert.

He was still asleep.

Periodically he would cry out, "incontinence, the curse of the middle classes!!", then fall asleep again.

Manwell & Roger decided he was best left alone.

They  lowered Loretta to the ground, locked Lambert in Babushka &  headed off in a cloud of smoke & dust for a night on the town.

Roger rabbit riding pillion drew some stares, but this was Italy, a shrug & that was it.

After trying to get into 2 discos & being turned away because of Manwell's overalls, they gave up & brought some takeaways, enough for Lambert too, & headed back to the airfield.

When they opened up Babushka, Lambert was nowhere to be found.

"Que??", Manwell muttered. "He gone, he gone!"

"No matter monsieur", Roger replied. "We must press on in the morning. Suez by the 9th?, it can be done, but non non, we cannot afford to dawdle!

We sleep, then allez vite, at dawn!!"

They woke to find Lambert sitting in the left seat wearing a pink tutu & a fur coat.

"Not sure where I was last night chaps, but I am feeling much better. Thank you for asking!"

"Monsieur, you are all present & correct in the head? Little grey cells snap to attention, oui?", Roger inquired cautiously.

"Absolutely old chap!", Lambert replied. "I say, who is that cove down the back?".

"Why monsieur, it is your mechanic, Manwell!"

"Really?, odd name for a mechanic. Tell him to flick the prop would you old chap!"

"Mai non monsieur. We are, how you say, modern!. We have  Ctrl + E. Roger will do it for you if you are unsure!"

"No, no, don't fuss!", Lambert complained as he fiddled with the dashboard switches until Babushka burst into life.

"Chocks away!", he hollered.

"There are none monsieur", Roger  advised him.

"Jolly well should be - "Manwell, go & put your foot in front of a tire while I give her some wellie to get the temperatures up!!"

"No no monsieur, that will not be necessary, Babushka is already hot!"

"Talking of hot, what do you think of my ensemble!', Lambert demanded, with a twirl from the left seat.

"Very smart I am sure. But we are rolling!", Roger reminded him.

"Oh my gosh yes. Manwell!, or whatever your name is, take over , there's a good chap. This tutu is a bit tight, I think I'll slip into something a bit more comfortable!"

"But monsieur, I can fly the plane with great capability!", Roger offered.

"Ha!!, whoever heard of a rabbit flying a plane!, poppycock. Manwell!!"

"As you wish monsieur", Rodger nodded deferring to Lambert, but he turned away sporting a grim countenance of frustration.

"Where to Mr Lambert?", Manwell called from the right seat.

"Greece, we are off to Athens, LGAT Hellinikon, via LIBR, LGKR, LGPZ, LGAG & LGMG.

Overfly each of those & we will be bang on target".

By this time Babushka had reached 42 kias & gently lifted off by herself. She felt she did far better if left to herself.

Manwell looked at Roger, he theatrically pointed South East with his cane & that's the way Manwell steered her.

"I say, what do you think of these pearls?, Lambert demanded, swinging around minus the tutu.

"They were Mildred's, but I think they do far better on me?!"

He stood looking at them expectantly in his fur coat &  jodhpurs, a string of pearls cascading to his knees.

"Monsieur, did you actually see the tablets he took??", Roger hissed to Manwell.

Headed South East from Bari, near the bottom of the heel of Italy. Sea on both sides

Down the Western side of Greek islands

Late afternoon, more Greek islands

On approach into Hellinikon

Diary Entry #18: Greece

"I self medicate with skill & alacrity!", Lambert declared indignantly when approached at supper by Roger rabbit, in respect of his pill popping.

"Oui monsieur, one can see you dose with certainty, but I wonder if at times the little grey cells perhaps are thrown off, let us say, the straight & narrow? Non??", Roger persisted.

Lambert pulled himself up to his full height, adjusted his cowboy hat & spurs & eyed Roger suspiciously. "Tell me this sir. You left England as Roger bunny, now you go by Roger rabbit!. What does one read into that then!" "Ha!!", he added for good measure.

'Monsieur, it is very simple. In England I am a bunny. In Europe, a rabbit. C'est tres simple!"

Lambert looked to Manwell for support, but Manwell was working on Loretta's wiring.

She had a short in the headlight & he was determined to find it.

Grunting in frustration, Lambert informed his fellow travellers that there would be a briefing in half an hour.

"Long flight tomorrow. All the way to Cyprus via the Greek Islands"

He paused and looked around.

"Where are we Manwell?"

"Hellinikon Mr Lambert", Manwell replied.

"Then why does the sign over the Terminal say Syros???"

Manwell glanced out of Babushka's side door & blanched.

To  be continued

Windswept

Diary Entry #19: Syros to Lanarca

It was a subdued group that gathered around the campfire for the evening briefing.

Once it was established that they had in fact landed at Syros, Lambert had spent some time consulting the local public relations office as to exactly where Syros was in relation to Athens.

Discovering that they were in fact closer to Suez, his anger had subsided & he glossed over the navigation error.

"We leave at 0800 hrs for LCLK, Lanarka, Cyprus. We will stop at LGRD Maritsa for fuel, then press on.

Basically we will chain hop down the Greek Islands, overflying Mikonos & Leros", Lambert informed them. Manwell nodded, Roger frowned.

"But monsieur!", Roger protested. "0800 is well before I am ready to travel. I have my toilette to attend to & this fine moustache, it take an hour to prepare!"

Lambert went a whiter shade of puce and shouted at Roger, "I suggest you cut your bl-dy French moustache off if it needs that much fussing over!!"

Roger leaped up from the camp fire.

"Belgian monsieur, if you please. I am Belgian, not French!" There is a difference!", & for emphasis Roger rabbit  smote the ground with his cane.

Lambert bristled. "Well, you all sound the same to me!!".

He paused & swallowed a handful of pills that he pulled from a  plastic bag.

"Time to turn in. Early start. Long journey.!" Lambert announced, returning inside Babushka to gather his camp stretcher so he could sleep under the stars.

Things were not going well.

& so it came to pass that the next day they departed at 0930 and traveled from Syros to Lanarca via way of Maritsa. 

In total  silence.

Roger had insisted on taking  time to work on his moustache. Lambert had fumed, but allowed it, as his prostate was sending mixed signals.

As they approached Lanarca on finals Lambert noticed 3 Land rovers drawn up beside the runway, & a gentlemen in a cocked hat with what looked like white chicken feathers fluttering in the breeze, fixing binoculars on them.

"I say, official welcoming party chaps. News must have got around!"

Babushka on the way out from Syros

Heading into Maritsa, which is the furthermost of the 2 airports in view. The closer one is Rhodes.

Sea mist & cloud between Maritsa and Cyprus

Steep approach down to the run into Lanarka. With flaps top & bottom, the An-2 , throttled back, can hold this angle at around 80 kias without accelerating.

Very handy at times for getting into tight airfields.

To be continued 

Windswept

Diary Entry #20: Lanarka

"I say, official welcoming party chaps. News must have got around!", Lambert enthused.

Babushka had hardly rolled to a stop when it was surrounded by the Landrovers. Each Landrover had 3 armed occupants in camouflage outfits. 

As Lambert alighted he was met by a gentleman in full formal evening dress wearing something resembling a pith helmet with white feathers fastened at the peak.

He stepped up to Lambert, saluted & extended a gloved hand. Lambert gave it a hearty shake.

"Bartholomew Weedwacker DSO, KBE, RN Retd, First Secretary, British Embassy, Milan. May we search your aircraft?"

Lambert looked flustered. "Why!!", he demanded.

"Sorry old chap, but you've been dobbed in!"

"Dobbed in, by whom!!"", Lambert exclaimed animatedly.

Manwell & Roger stood quietly wide eyed to one side.

"Your wife dear boy. She rang Theresa & said you were ferrying drugs!"

"The PM?"

"No, my sister. Apparently your wife knows her. May we?", & Weedwacker gestured towards Babushka.

Lambert shrugged his shoulders, Weedwacker gave a signal & 9 SAS paratroopers went aboard.

At that moment Weedwackers phone rang. "Yes?, oh, its you, he's just here, I'll hand you over"

"It's your wife!", Weedwacker whispered.

A dazed Lambert took the phone. "Mildred!, what the h-ll are you playing at!"

"Lambie" that was her name for Lambert, "Lambie, you didn't pay the gas bill. They cut the gas off!"

"But why did you say I was running drugs?"

"Oh, I had to say something to get their attention. Now listen Lambie, I know you keep a pile of cash tucked away somewhere.

Where is it? I need to pay the bill to get the gas back on. Archibald is very distressed. He thinks the house is too cold!"

"Archibald, if he were a normal cat would be outside chasing mice. Earning his keep! Not living on the radiator!", Lambert complained.

'Forget Archie, where is the money??" Mildred demanded. Lambert could tell she was winding up.

Lambert looked around furtively. He thought long & hard. Finally he relented. He whispered into the phone, "there's a blue biscuit tin in the tool shed, its in there!"

"No Lambie, its not, I found that & there was only 10 Euros in there. Where's the big stash?"

Lambert's heart sank. He had been tucking it away for years.

"Green tin, 3rd shelf down in the pigeon coop!", he muttered angrily.

"Thank you dear, goodbye", & Mildred hung up.

"Everything alright?", Weedwacker inquired.

"No, not really, but its out of  my hands now", Lambert murmured forlornly.

At that moment the SAS commanding officer joined them.

"Anything?", Weedwacker asked.

He shook his head. "Just a year's supply of male ED tablets, a GPS tracker & an electronic listening device.

"You mean I'm bugged!!", Lambert thundered.

"Afraid so sir. The listening device is Russian & the GPS is ours"

"Good lord", Lambert exclaimed. Does the Government have no shame?"

'No, not really", Weedwacker mused. "Where are you headed?"

"Suez", Lambert informed him.

"You do know there is no airfield there? The nearest is Port Said or Cairo. Personally I would try Cairo, the foods better!"

'I shall take you advice on board, & I do love you hat", Lambert added as they shook hands.

'Well, it was the best I could do at short notice. The one with peacock feathers was at the cleaners. Official opening of a zoo & a damn Emu spat at it!"

"Australians!", Lambert shuddered.

Diary Entry #21

Lambert, Roger & Manwell sat morosely under Babushka's wing, sheltered from the early morning Cyprus heat.

The search of Babushka & its findings had thrown doubt on their venture.

Lambert stirred finally.

"Ok chaps, we must press on, last day to make it to Suez!"

"But Monsieur, there is no airfield at Suez. Weedwacker say that!", Roger rabbit protested.

Lambert sighed. "Did you not also hear him suggest we fly to Cairo?"

"I miss that monsieur, how we get to Suez after that??"

"Camel of course!", Lambert snorted.

Manwell blanched again.

"Time to go gentlemen. We will cross over towards Israel, fly down the coast, then cut across the desert to Cairo.

Long journey. Make sure we have plenty of water on board!"

Lambert paused. "Oh by the way, the ED tablets aren't mine!"

Manwell & Roger glanced at each other quizzically.

To be continued

Windswept

Diary Entry #22:  Lanarka to Cairo

Preparations for departure from Lanarka were swift & efficient.

Lambert appeared to have got his prostatitis under control & would be occupying the left seat, Manwell the right & Roger would navigate from a deck chair tucked in behind the other two.

They took off in good conditions & headed South East. Lambert had decided to stay low & they trundled up to 3,500' without incident.

Manwell was working hard balancing the mixture, prop & engine revs to find a setting that would get them to Cairo without refueling, if possible.

Lambert was rather nervous about heading into Israeli airspace in a Russian aircraft. Off Israel he could see q lot of military aircraft  activity.

Manwell worked his magic & they managed to just squeak into Cairo on the last drops in the tanks, with the help of a tail wind when they were heading South, then South West, across the top of Egypt.

Upon arrival at Cairo, Manwell was dispatched to locate camels.

Roger rabbit observed this with surprise. "Mon dieu", he muttered to himself, "it is madness, the camel trek to Suez!.

For what purpose? I see many Round The World aircraft here. None, not one of their pilots are riding the camel to Suez! He must be stopped!!"

Leaving Lanarka, Cyprus, on the morning of the 9th of October. Last day to reach Suez.

Flying down the coast of Israel, below Tel Aviv

Leaving coast & heading inland over desert in Eqypt

Babushka about to meet her shadow on landing at Cairo International airport

To be continued

Windswept

As we landed in Port Said before Capt Lambert and Manwell and we were almost certain that there was something strange going to happen, we decided to follow them.

Finally, we found them in the "Blue Boys Club".

I remember that someone asked for a photograph along the journey and it was replied that they were camera shy. That's a big lie.

Now we have the proof of their immoral behaviour as you'll see on the enclosed photograph. Of course we did not want to show the two Egyptian boys with them to keep this story clean so we cropped the picture.

Poor Mrs Lambert!!!

Carry on with your story. A real gem.

Regards,

JP

Diary Entry #23

Babushka was pushed into a large hangar on the Eastern side of the Cairo International Airport complex.

Lambert announced that she was to be inspected before they started the next leg. Plugs, fluids, wear & tear & so on.

He even donned overalls to help Manwell & Roger.

Just as he was climbing into Babushka with his socket set, a motorcycle & sidecar pulled up & a tall blonde woman alighted & handed Lambert a letter.

To be continued

Windswept

Diary Entry #24

Lambert ripped open the envelope & extracted a note written on pale blue heavyweight bond paper.

He sniffed it. There was a faint odor of cigar smoke & Gardenia.

"Mon dieu, quelle disgusting habit!", Roger muttered.

The tall blonde motorcycle rider was clad head to toe in fetching black leather. She smiled at Manwell & waited by her idling bike.

Manwell blushed & wondered if she would like to see Loretta.

Lambert read the contents of the letter & frowned.

"Manwell, Roger, I have been summonsed to the Russian Embassy! Secure Babushka & don't let anyone near her!" he advised them sternly.

He gathered his leather helmet, goggles & family heirloom silk scarf & squeezed his angular frame into the side car.

The blonde looked down at him, he gave the thumbs up, & they disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

The journey was hot fast & dusty.

The blonde rode with a death wish approach, & Lambert screamed silently at the top of his lungs.

Occasionally she glanced to see if he was still there & he would flash a grimace that passed as a smile, & give a thumbs up.

At last they reached the Embassy gates.

Lambert extricated himself from the sidecar like a praying mantis climbing from a sardine can.

Parts of his anatomy went in different directions until he gathered it altogether with a shaking of his arms & legs.

"You ride fast!", he admonished the blonde.

She smiled & motioned for him to pass through the gates.

At that moment there was a screech of brakes & a shout behind him, & he turned, startled.

To be continued

Windswept

Diary entry #25

Lambert pivoted on one leg, like a Flamingo, & saw Weedwacker emerging from a vintage Rolls Royce.

He hastened towards Lambert.

"I say old chap, mustn't go in there without an interpreter! I'm your man!"

Before Lambert could protest he was headed for the gates.

He seemed to be on nodding acquaintance with the tall blonde, who ushered them both into the grounds.

The Embassy was functional without being overly ostentatious.

After a wait of 15 minutes, during which Weedwacker paced up & down & spoke into his shirt cuff, they were admitted to the inner sanctum.

The Ambassador greeted them politely & spoke to Weedwacker in Russian.

"He says the USSR has followed your journey with interest!" Weedwacker beamed.

Lambert smiled & thanked the Ambassador, who spoke again to Weedwacker in Russian.

It was a long discourse, during which the Ambassador became more and more agitated and at the end of which he took off a red Converse baseball boot & slammed it on his desk.

Weedwacker winced, then turned to Lambert.

To be continued

Windswept

Diary Entry #26

"The Ambassador is not happy!", Weedwacker explained to Lambert.

There was another volley of Russian from the Ambassador, then the tall leather clad lady said something & he stopped abruptly.

"He says that his Government is not happy that your aircraft has a call sign with CCCP in it. That must change. From now on it will be RA-3105K!", Weedwacker informed Lambert.

Lambert was confused. "But it's a wet lease from the Russian Government aircraft testing facility!!", he protested.

Weedwacker nodded, "That is not important. You also need to repaint it. Now!"

"Holy h-ll", Lambert muttered, "that will put us behind!"

"No matter!", the tall blonde lady suddenly spoke in faultless English. "I have friends, you will have help, come!", & she beckoned Lambert to follow her.

Weedwacker nodded his approval.

Lambert half bowed, half curtsied, then waved to the Ambassador & exited the room backwards.

Just as he was leaving the room he overheard an exchange between the Ambassador & Weedwacker.

"So Bart, what brings you to Cairo this dreary Friday?", the Ambassador asked in Eton accented English

"Chinese Embassy karaoke night, always a hoot. And you Vlad?"

"Can't decide between the  French Embassy's, "How to make the perfect Crepe class, or the Americans Friday night bare knuckle boxing!"

And he smiled , lit a Cuban cigar & gave Bart a bear hug.

Lambert was stunned.

To be continued

Windswept

Diary Entry #27: RA-3105K

Lambert's ride in the left hand mounted sidecar back to Babushka was even hairier than the first.

The tall blonde insisted on taking left hand corners on 2 wheels & right hand corners on 1.

Then she decided to drift through corners sideway.

By the time the got to the airport, Lambert's shirt was drenched in sweat & he had cramp in both calves from jamming his legs against the inside of the sidecar to stop himself exiting on the bumps.

He had given up screaming early in the ride back & just groaned when she narrowly missed buildings & other vehicles.

It took him 2 gins & dousing his face in a bucket of water to restore some semblance of equilibrium.

"Right chaps!", he gasped, "repaint & a new registration. The lady here, sorry what's your name?" Lambert inquired.

"Svetlana!", purred the black leather clad tall blonde, in a throaty purr.

Manwell instantly fell hopelessly in love & Roger's tail twitched.

"Svetlana has contacts, they will help with the repaint. How long do you think it will take?", Lambert asked her.

"I think 1 maybe 2 days:, she purred back.

Manwell's adam's apple bobbed like a ping pong ball stuck in a vacuum cleaner tube. Roger's ears wiggled.

Lambert paused & did some mental calculations. "Should still give us time to reach Bombay! Ok chaps, hop too it!"

Svetlana roared away on her sidecar bike to find paint & some labor.

Manwell clutched his heart as she left & prayed for her safe return.

Roger went off to look for his ultra secret stash of ED tablets.

Lambert began poring over maps of the Arab world & Asia.

To be continued

Windswept

Archived