AFA1991 "Ms. Pontiac"

AFA1991

19 hours ago, rupert said:

Kalizzi!! 

Obviously weird minds have similar weird thoughts!!  I lived some of that life when I chose to leave the Marine Corps when I could no longer pass a flight physical and had no desire to be a desk warier!!  I raced motorcycles on flat tracks 1/8 to 2 miles.  I rode or drove motocross, endurance racing, sports car racing, Baja racing, etc!  I was always trying to feel that adrenaline high I felt when people were shooting at me, and even better missing me, in Vietnam!  While I was flying various missions including night Med-Evacs. 

People exactly like me who missed their combat adrenaline highs after WWII are who originally started the Sports Car Club of America, American Motorcycle Racing, Baja, etc. 

Perhaps we could do this event limiting aircraft to low powered single engine aircraft from the Pre-Korean war era.  My first thought of course would be to limit it to the Triumph, BSA, Indian, Norton, Harley, Royal Enfield, Matchless, etc.bikes of that era.  Or maybe MG TCS, TDS, TR 3s, Austin Healey 100s, etc.  But I'm not aware of any sims that simulate those experiences!  Perhaps a Love-Bug Beetle is out there but that really isn't what we used.

Rupert

Well Rupert your talk of those bikes is mouth watering. As a teenager I briefly owned an MZ 250 (German)  which had a two-stroke one cylinder 250cc engine. After six months, and in the wake of a very close call out of which I very miraculously emerged intact, I divorced motorbikes for good. Weird Thoughts Bingo Again!: I was in fact thinking of retracing the "Easy Rider" route by air, using GA aircraft, single engines, VFR day, such as the Cub or a Cessna something. Love Bug Beetle sounds good in reality, or even the legendary VW camper! Maybe Craig will opt for these :P He won't fly anything that is not a Skyhawk.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, Let's go with Piper Cubs and other small craft from that era!  Having said that, I'm pretty fond of Route 66.  If you're not familiar, call up the song "Get Your Kicks On Route 66."  If you've watched any of the "Cars" movies, they're based upon places along Route 66.

I'm old enough that a whole lot of Route 66 was still in use when I first started driving long distances.  Today much of RT.66 is replaced, paved over, etc. by Interstate Highways.  But based upon casual checks on the internet, I'd think we could pretty well track the actual route.

I may do some online research to verify that.

Rupert

P.S. During that era my hair was at least ten inches (10") too short to even consider driving a Love Bug.  And when I drove one years later to transport SCCA equipment from place to place I could swear I could have, at that time, out run it on a decent 10 speed bicycle!  And I'm sure the air I was breathing would have been much cleaner as well.

Time to go into the hangar of my (A2A) Piper J3 and inspect the plane :)

to take my 25 years old Harley and ride the route 66 is one of the dreams, which every biker has. 

One question, should this idea placed in the general discussion section?

Another idea for flights with this group: every pilot told his home airport and we visit them  from one to the next.

There are atw80-pilots from South America, USA, Europe... Maybe there are pilots from Asia or Afrika, too?

PeSt

On 1/6/2018 at 1:22 PM, PeSt said:

Time to go into the hangar of my (A2A) Piper J3 and inspect the plane :)

to take my 25 years old Harley and ride the route 66 is one of the dreams, which every biker has. 

One question, should this idea placed in the general discussion section?

Another idea for flights with this group: every pilot told his home airport and we visit them  from one to the next.

There are atw80-pilots from South America, USA, Europe... Maybe there are pilots from Asia or Afrika, too?

PeSt

The flights to others' home airport is certainly an interesting concept.  Having said that, I don't have any idea how many participants we had.  That might be more of a challenge than the 80 Day one itself.

I'd be more than happy to hear others' points of view! 

If we try to recreate past events, I agree we should utilize aircraft from whatever era we are staging or earlier. 

As to Rt-66, I remember when traveling cross country from California to Kentucky in my 1966 Pontiac Catalina 2+2, freeways in the middle part of the country were still mostly non-existent.  And I did drive on more than a few miles of Rt-66, which was if not still complete, was at least still hugely complete. ;)

Rupert

Hehe... cross country in a Cub is a wonderful idea. It even got some real world counterpart you can read about:

[...]

"Flight of Passage" tells a true story.

In the summer of 1966, Rinker and Kernahan Buck, 2 schoolboys from New Jersey, bought a dilapidated Piper Cub for $300, rebuilt it in their barn, and took off on the journey of a lifetime - a daring flight across the Rockies to California. They became the youngest aviators on record to fly America coast to coast, and their thirst for adventure, and the simple audacity of their trip, mirrored the innocence of the times. Because they couldn't afford one, they navigated all the way to California without a radio.

This is also a timeless story of father and sons. The Buck brothers retraced a mythical route flown by their father, a brash, colorful ex-barnstormer who had lost his leg in a tragic air crash, but who so loved the romance of flight that he taught his boys to fly before they could drive. Winging it out across the deserts and mountains the brothers must separate from this difficult and quirky man. Yet this story goes beyond two young men in search of themselves and their country. It is a narrative about the eternal enigma of family, of freedom won at the cost of pain and truth, told with a storytelling power that is both brave and rare.

[...]

Toby and I started summer 2016 with marvelous flights vfr hands on... wonderful relaxed online sessions in Cubs low and slow. The essence of flying...

Cheers

Thorsten

Back in the seat after being away from home traveling.

I've thought about running a D-Day flight in my P-38 from the US to the shores.

Though is a cross country flight comes up, I'd be interest in joining up.  

Archived