PeSt + Captn Mops - 80 Drinks around the World

PeSt

With the letter of regestration of this fantastic world race in my hand, Captn Mops (my Navigator & my cat) and i  sitting in our "man Cave" at our homebase EDHM. Tons of maps on the desk, Captn Mops thinking abut the route. he don´t tell me about,  mumbles: "secret...walls have ears..

I think he has no idea how we can got this long distance flights over water.

The good news, the bird, a new P-40 C, is pretty good, and fuel is loaded. Ready to bring the flying tiger to the start location.

Please login to display this image.

Befor we walk outside, Captn Mops runs to the phone booth, make a lot of calls, an astronomic bill later he comes to me with a smile.

Old Boy, he said, the long trips over atlantic, pazific etc. are not a problem. He looks left and right, than he gives me a map of the oceans with a lot of "X" marked.

He whisperd "       ".

What you say?

He whisperd a little bit louder: "carriers!"

Oh my god! Carriers...Real aircraft carriers...what a genius idea. Then i remember his stories,    stories about  "hitman and secret agent of MI 4.9". Stories i have never trusted, but now...

We can get it, if the carrier are at the right time at the right place..and with a lot of luck we will win the race.

Kicking away the empty bottle of "Flensburger"-beer, buzzing: we are the champions,  we walk to the P-40. Next Stop London!

best regards

PeSt

• Administrator

Hello PeSt,

welcome here and in Hartenholm...

Hartenholm .... my Home Base too :)

But keep in Mind:

Hartenholm is closed at the time. You need a special permission to fly there...

It's because of to high trees near the airfield.

NOTAM: EDHM

Greets Heinz

I have to change my aircraft, next time FIRST take a look at the calendar and then take a choice.

Captn Mops and i have arrived at London, but now we must see, with the P-40 we can´t do the tour.

Sitting in a karoke-bar, having a lot of drinks and feel not very good, suddenly door opens and a group of men come to our place.

They imagined themselves as "Scott", Glenn" and "Buzz", they wear flight jackets with "NASA"-stickers and told us, they have hearded that we need a fast, a very fast plane and they wanted to help.

Scott gives us the flight manuals, Glenn the flight plan and Buzz got the Contract. In the dark light of the bar we only read that we have to pay for fuel. Captn Mops and i don´t think about, we have orderd the fuel for the P-40, how much more fuel need this plane. BTW what plane is it? We take a look at the manuals.

Holy Sh.....a klingon bird of prey!!!!!

They laughed and say: No, its the good old 1964 North American XB-70A. Mach 3 is fast enough?

---

And this is the flight plan, all the airports got long runways, you will need them.

This night, after lots of Guiness and Jameson whisky and a great performance of "Fly me to the moon" we leave Scott, Glenn and Buzz. We are lucky. And drunken.

02 Oct 201712:04 First leg EGLL - HECA

What a lot of different planes at Heathrow and nearby. Not the normal airliners, ok of course Boeings 737 to 777, Airbus from small to big, but all the others. The Connies, Douglas DC 6, old DC 3, Electra´s, Doves, Twotter and a lot of GA-Planes. They all come in the last days, lots of differetn `round the World`Liveries. Its great to sit in front of our Valkyrie and take a lot of photos.

Captn Mops was not sooo funny; as he crossed the street in front of the airport a red Vespa-scooter with a very angry looking rider in a flightmechanic dress and, how curios, a world war2- pilot on the back missed him very close.

The weather was fine, wind 268/18, perfect for runway 27L. At FL700 we can fly very straight on route, thats good, only problem we have not asked at french, switzerland, italy and greece about permission about super sonic flight. But if we don´t ask then  they  can´t say no :)

At 14.30 we ve got our slot, time to read takeoff checklist, canards in slow-flight-position and ready to go, 6 engines full throttle.

With 250 knots over south england, at the  water  0.9 climb speed, don´t forget wings down at 400 kts..

Climb to 34000 then dive to 30000, nose visor up and full throttle for climb speed 1.2. And then with 1.2 climbing to cruise altitude 70000.

38 % fuel burned at 40000 ft, maybe i need a lil bit gas...

wow, high speed stall over Venice at FL62 with lot overspeed -  hands tremble, need a shower

At FL 70000, Mach 3.0, the wings are full down, riding on the shock wave (the compression lift).

Plan G ground speed: 1735 knots

16:00 h, 15 % fuel,  770 nm to cairo, time for decent

decent of the Valkyrie

touchdown at Cairo at 17.11 (london time)

Flighttime 2:41

After landing we take a debriefing  with Scott, Glenn and Buzz via Skype

Scott:  takeoff was ok, bad climb, to long climbing and  to much fuel burnend!!!!!

Glenn: cruise was much to short, what the @§%& you did that you come in high speed stall????

Buzz: very to early beginn of decent, not have watched about fuel, at longer distance you run out of fuel and crash!!!!!

After this Captn Mops and i was very frustrated. For the next flights we installed the air2air-refulling-system from the third XB-70 prototype (the unfinished XB-70 B). Time to drink to forget... Level 2 can only be better.

The XB-70 is grounded. No flights allowed. One of the fastest planes on earth and we can not let her running. After trying twice to fly the second part, the plane stalls both at climb, burned to mch fuel and must go back. Now the mechanics testing every system. Captn Mops asked the Mechanic, If there are special informations about climb, answer was "RTFM, dont trim, if autotrim is working". Autotrim? Ups... There was a two hour discussion, who of us used the manual trim.

The good news is, the air2air refuilling system is in, and we have contact to two refulling crews, they use an Avro and a lockhead. 

Tomorrow the system check should be done, and we can back in the air.

captn Mops was very unlucky last days, every time he said: next  time i use a Concorde or a Boeing 777 or a Herc or a PBY or a P-40 or a ... I have not known that he remembers the names of such a lot different planes. 

Sitting in the sun, cold drinks...takeoff hours away

Suddenly the mobile rings, oh its Scott: Hey Scott

Boys, you are in big trouble. some of the countries you give a sonic boom at the first leg are very p.... not amused. they talked with  Interpol and Interpol sends a special investigator to arrest you, his name is Chief Inspector Fix. He arrives at Cairo with the next flight from London, so hurry up!

We checked the arrivals, next flight from London arrives at..... 50 minutes. 

Running to the Valkyrie, screaming to the mechanics: Red Alert! Emergency Start! We jump into the cockpit, searching for the rapid start checklist.

Maybe Chief Inspector Fix is in there? before he reached  the gate, we will be at FL200.

on route

5 hours later we arrived the coast of india

and VABB

Later we call the Scott, Buzz and Glenn, using a phone booth. We tell them, that we leave cairo very fast, flying without transponder, drop our mobile phones at cruising altitude at the bomb bay to the ocean, leave the airport fast after landing, switching twice the taxi and now stay with fake names in a cheap (and ugly) hotel at the red light district of mumbay. At the end we feel safe about the chief inspector. They was laughing. They don´t stop laughing. After minutes Glenn asked, if we really believe, that Interpol will send a bounty hunter behind us, because we make sonic booms. He can´t stop laughing.

Untill dawn Captn Mops and i siiting in a greasy pub and drunk to fall down.

Distance: 3214 nm

Flight time: 05:17 h

Next day, with a big hang over and no small talk we go Leg 3 from Mumbai to Kalkutta.

918 nm, to short for full super sonic or economic super sonic, only Mach 2.66 at 60000 ft

lil thunderstorm at beginn

arriving calkutta

Distance: 918 nm

Flight time: 1:43

At Kalkutta an angry Airport chief tells us, that he dont want to give us a place for our bird. They need the place for the people of the "around the world in 80 days" race. We tell him that we are part of it, but he dont trust us,our names wasnt at his list. We looked at his list, oh this was the post-70-list. after all, we had to leave the airport and make a very fast leg 4 to Hong Kong.

climb to fl300

This time we go after reaching fl300 with Mach 1.4 and 5000 ft/min climb to cruise altitude fl700.

So we was very earlier than the other flights at combat cruise Mach 3.0 and we have only burned 58 % fuel.

Fly faster, safe fuel (old XB-70 & SR-71 wisdom) :)

hello Hong Kong

Hong Kong welcomes us. We ve got an fantastic hotel with a view about the coast and an excellent bar chief, great whisky-tasting.

Distance: 1439

Flight time: 01:37

Hey PeSt, cool pictures and nice storyline. I noticed on the AWin80 shared spreadsheet that you had zoomed off and are already in HKG. I just wanted to let you know in case you missed it, that there are set dates when we're supposed to depart set places. For example, the next leg for everyone is the flight (or for some the sail) from the Suez (so for me HEPS) to Bombay/Mumbai. The date of departure is October 10 at 0000UTC and must be completed within 13 days by 0000UTC. Coz by the way you're going, most of us will still be taxiing to the runway at Suez by the time you're having a nice hot cup of tea at Heathrow :lol: Just wanted to help in case you didn't know :) 

Here is the link to the dates of all the legs: 

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what happens to your heroes next. Will they keep running? Or will they turn back? I guess we shall see :D 

Enjoy your day!

Regards,

VSM 

@VSM

I know, that i am out of the roules.

I was accepting the adventure, and then i see that my real life events make it impossible to take my flights at the roules, that´s why i m changing the P-40 to the XB-70A.

I had to finish my around the world tour next weekend.

So i am disqualified, this diary is only for  entertainment.

Best regards

Pete

P. S. The Valkyrie is at Tokio, Japan :)

Next morning Captn Mops bought a very cheap Samsung-style- china clone fake mobile to call Scott and the boys. His IPhone 8s was at the ground at the ocean at the coast of Yemen.

They were happy to hear that we arrived Hong Kong, but the flight from mumbay to kalkutta was bad they told us. Of course the XB-70 can get Mach 3.0 at this distance, with a better takeoff and climb.

After this conversation, we make a plan for the next days. I want to stay at Hong Kong, Captn Mops want to get to Japan. 1 hour later we was on the road to the airport. Captn Mops has won, we go to Tokio and there he can eat so much sushi, until he burst.

Wheater was fine, only slow wind, no rain

High speed climb, i can cut the afterburner away a little moment

In the middle of route, speed mach 3.03, the star navigation system goes crazy (FSX crashes and after restart the AP don´t work), after a lil bit confusion we are back on route and arrived Tokio with 36 % fuel on board.

Distance: 1653

Flight time: 01:47 h

the plan: economic cruise to san Francisco via Hawaii for refueling

reality: the Valkyrie don´t want to climb, to high AoA, can´t get higher than fl600, can´t get more than mach 1.4

After 1,5 hours f(l)ight time burnt to much fuel, we go back to tokio. Next flight friday.

After landing Captn Mops very fast leaves the airport without a word.

But nice clouds

What a surprise! Captn Mops has a girl friend, a young girl named Michiko working in a sushi bar. He has asked her, if she want to go with us and lil time later she found herself strapt at the rumble seat behind us in the cockpit.

Captn Mops has dont ask her, if she ever take a flight, she doesnt.

So at takeoff she beginns to cry, doesnt stop at approach. We did the only right thing: unplugged the wire of her microphone.

This time we have a very good approach, climbing with Mach 1.4 and 3000 ft very fast to cruise altitude fl750. Short time flight with combat cruise mach 3.0, then switch to economic cruise mach 2.7.

crossing 180 line of longitude, i asked Captn Mops, which day is today? he asked: Yesterday!

decent over Kau ai

Captn Mops plugged in Michiko´s microphone, she doesn´t cry, now she was furios. Better unplugged again.

Short stop for fuel and cheeseburgers at PHNL, Honolulu. And Michiko wants to talk a lil bit with Captn Mops...

Distance:     3241 nm

Flight time: 03:05 h

I ´ve got a very good cheeseburger, with bacon and extra cheese ad jalapenjoes.
While i was eating, Captn mops and Michiko has a little conversation. After this Captn Mops was totaly defeated. Michiko stays 2 weeks at a 5 Stars hotel at hawaii, and if - and she said if she ever would fly with him, then she will sit at first class, with champagner and caviar.

Twenty minutes later we was ready for takeoff.

do-it-your-self aurora

Distance:     2081 nm

Flight time: 02:01 h

On 9/30/2017 at 10:53 AM, PeSt said:

I have to change my aircraft, next time FIRST take a look at the calendar and then take a choice.

Captn Mops and i have arrived at London, but now we must see, with the P-40 we can´t do the tour.

Sitting in a karoke-bar, having a lot of drinks and feel not very good, suddenly door opens and a group of men come to our place.

They imagined themselves as "Scott", Glenn" and "Buzz", they wear flight jackets with "NASA"-stickers and told us, they have hearded that we need a fast, a very fast plane and they wanted to help.

Scott gives us the flight manuals, Glenn the flight plan and Buzz got the Contract. In the dark light of the bar we only read that we have to pay for fuel. Captn Mops and i don´t think about, we have orderd the fuel for the P-40, how much more fuel need this plane. BTW what plane is it? We take a look at the manuals.

Holy Sh.....a klingon bird of prey!!!!!

They laughed and say: No, its the good old 1964 North American XB-70A. Mach 3 is fast enough?

---

And this is the flight plan, all the airports got long runways, you will need them.

This night, after lots of Guiness and Jameson whisky and a great performance of "Fly me to the moon" we leave Scott, Glenn and Buzz. We are lucky. And drunken.

I haven't seen that plane fly since I was a kid. Saw the last landing at Wright Patterson AFB of the third and only one left when I was a wee sprout. Is now at the Airforce Museum in Dayton Ohio. I will never forget that landing as it blew out tires upon touch down. Early 70's but don't remember exact date. Excellent choice. Thx for the memory!

Archived