The "Right Let's Do This Properly" Round the World Club, what!

SeanG

13 hours ago, SeanG said:

Good morning!  It was an uneventful night crossing the Bay of Biscay, and as the sun is rising into the Eastern sky we are heading steadily South.  Next land we see will be Spain!

You've been spared! I once sailed into a force 9 gale at the Bay of Biscay, was violently seasick for most of the journey and after landing at Bilbao, had sea legs for 11 days to come!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HMNZS Canterbury

Navigators Log 2055Z

ICAO: LPOV
Name: Ovar AB, Ovar, Portugal
Time: 042000Z
Elevation: 55 ft
Lat/Lon: 40.92, -8.64
Wind direction: 140°
Wind speed: 5kt
Visibility: 900 m
Weather phenomena: FG 
Clouds: Overcast at 400 ft
Temp/Dew: 16°C/15°C
Atmospheric pressure (QNH): 1021 hPa, 3014 Inch

Please login to display this image.

5 minutes ago, kalizzi said:

You've been spared! I once sailed into a force 9 gale at the Bay of Biscay, was violently seasick for most of the journey and after landing at Bilbao, had sea legs for 11 days to come!

Wow!  That must have been a journey to remember!  Thankfully the virtual seas have been calm so far ;-)

SeanG

5 minutes ago, SeanG said:

Wow!  That must have been a journey to remember!  Thankfully the virtual seas have been calm so far ;-)

SeanG

The Bay of Biscay is notorious for being rough, almost any time of the year. Keep up the good work! Cheers...

Weather forecast was spot on.... it IS foggy out...

Time to turn in, hope to be nearing the Straits of Gibraltar by morning!

Tootle pip, and see you in the Med!

SeanG

On 10/3/2017 at 4:36 PM, SeanG said:

Look for me as "NZ6258" driving *sensibly* from San Fran to Jackson Hole on the first day ;-)    Metalic Blue GT500 ;-)

We should coordinate a time and do the drive!

I'd be willing to try to coordinate. Let me know. 

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:17 AM, SeanG said:

Weather forecast was spot on.... it IS foggy out...

Time to turn in, hope to be nearing the Straits of Gibraltar by morning!

Tootle pip, and see you in the Med!

SeanG

Sean ever tried ship simulator by Microsoft? I have the Extremes version but never had the chance to install it? looking forward to your update on the east of the straits, inside the medi pond. Good luck and best wishes.

2 hours ago, kalizzi said:

Sean ever tried ship simulator by Microsoft? I have the Extremes version but never had the chance to install it? looking forward to your update on the east of the straits, inside the medi pond. Good luck and best wishes.

Yes, I have Ship Sim Extremes... It's nice, but no good for long oceanic crossings  :(  It is *very* pretty, especially sailing around the Islands off Thailand!

18 hours ago, nmetheny said:

I'd be willing to try to coordinate. Let me know. 

Will do!

SeanG

Small update....

We are steaming East across the Med, coming up on the tip of Italy, making good progress... but as I am (in the real world) off fishing in Kaikoura, updates have been a little less frequent :)

SeanG

9 hours ago, kalizzi said:

Hunting whales in Kaikoura? I forgot, it is spring where you are! enjoy! :cheers_s:

Well.... hunting Crayfish (Lobster) and Blue Cod....  didn't see any whales this trip :(

Now... back to the story!    Time has all but run out to make Suez on time, but never fear, we are making good progress across the Med....

We expect to take on our pilot in around 1 hour, and hit the outer marker for the canal about 30 minutes after that.....  Priority clearance means we *should* get a clean passage through.. although, on past experiences you play your cards and hope for the best!

Next update, we'll be *in* the canal!

SeanG

Well here we are!   The Suez Canal... the strip of blue in a world of sand...

Luckily we managed to make our convoy slot, and have headed South at the head of the latest convoy... if this plan works out we should cross the Northbound convoy in around 3 hours without slowing a single knot!

All the off-watch crew are topside sniffing the hot dry desert air, with a scent which will stay with them for life...  The scent of the desert is unique, and evocative..... 

Camera's at the ready, I shall post pic's if anything of interest passes our way... In the mean time, warn the bar staff that the crew are almost at Port Suez!

SeanG

Miles and miles of......

Which looks a lot like....

Sadly.... we saw this, which may slow us down a little....

Which appears to be a very odd place to park!

After the trials and tribulations we encountered on our "should be smooth sailing" trip through the Suez Canal we finally made the end, and after a very snazzy looking "Frigate Turn":

We arrived in Port Suez!   A *very* expeditious docking, and it was off to the Hotel for a couple of medicinal beverages...

The hotel bar was worryingly quiet.   A quick browse through the other "80 Days" Diaries brought the realisation that we were the only ones at Port Suez, with most, if not all, of our compatriots opting to stop over at Port Said instead!

With this sobering thought firmly in mind, and the looming departure time for the leg through to Mumbai, we all adjourned from our near-solo drinking, and headed back-ship.

Canterbury had nearly completed provisioning by the time we boarded, so we are expecting to weigh anchor in a little over two hours time and head for India!

SeanG

Love the screenshots from the bridge of the Canterbury! Awesome! I may even attempt to land my cat alongside your ship to deliver a case of good beer! Great progress! Good work, cheers!

so this did not happen.....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/10601512/Navy-puts-brakes-on-booze

Royal New Zealand Navy chief Rear Admiral Jack Steer has announced a slew of new alcohol rules for the service.

Ships, at sea and docked, will go dry and sailors won't be able to splurge on duty-free booze, or cigarettes, when overseas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HMNZS_Canterbury_Pacific_Partnership.jpg

:)

6 minutes ago, harrry said:

so this did not happen.....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/10601512/Navy-puts-brakes-on-booze

What?  By Jove... that's just not cricket at all!   Must have missed that memo old chap :)  Luckily in *my* world it's 1991 (or thereabouts, one can never be too certain!) so this obviously won't happen for many years!

In much, much more positive news:  Morning has broken for another fabulous day of sailing

Cruising down the Red Sea, with Yenbo off our Port quarter.

SeanG

What a brilliant choice.:)  I would never have thought about going by sea.  I am close to you at the moment, travelling south over the Red Sea in by DC-6.  I should pass you in an hour or so.  

Keep your lookouts posted and start transmitting a homing beam. I don't want to miss the beer delivery to the Canterbury because of my poor navigation. Great progress Craig, keep up the great stuff.

1 hour ago, Jeff W said:

What a brilliant choice.:)  I would never have thought about going by sea.  I am close to you at the moment, travelling south over the Red Sea in by DC-6.  I should pass you in an hour or so.  

I shall be wave as you fly past ;-)

38 minutes ago, kalizzi said:

Keep your lookouts posted and start transmitting a homing beam. I don't want to miss the beer delivery to the Canterbury because of my poor navigation. Great progress *Sean*, keep up the great stuff.

I'll leave the lights on, and fire flares aloft closer to the time :)

Can't see you on RADAR yet...  I wont put the kettle on just yet ;-)

Sean

Sean I love your diary - definitely something different to flying.

That ship of yours sure travels fast.

But I suppose that called "doing it properly" B)

Dave Britzius

(Cape Town)

Archived